Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where can you view a brand California in a dealership? And can you put a roof box on them?

• Thread starter Zoetheyogateacher
  • Start date
We ended up finding an Ocean nearby. I think the tax position is better on an Ocean so after all that we're probably going to get an Ocean. Although we will probably never use the cooker or the sink. It's not possible to take those out, is it? I think for the car tax they need to stay, don't they?
The beach camper has same tax as ocean, the beach tour is higher as classed as car.
we went for beach camper as we need the 3 seats across but if you don’t then it worth considering the ocean as there is not much price difference!

If you are order beach tour, and will be operating refrigerator then is must warning you, leisure battery is not adequate, and cannot adding energy outside.
Vw tells, 2nd battery for California beach is not leisure battery but is " extra " battery operate only functions from camping control panel and not such extra items.

If you are order beach tour, and will be operating refrigerator then is must warning you, leisure battery is not adequate, and cannot adding energy outside.
Vw tells, 2nd battery for California beach is not leisure battery but is " extra " battery operate only functions from camping control panel and not such extra items.
Shows you what VW know and what happens in practice. The only electrical difference between the T6.1 Beach Camper and Beach Tour is the absence of a mains electrical hookup and 12v battery charger because the Tour does not come with this Option in the UK due to the twin sliders.
The built in 2nd/Leisure battery is perfectly adequate to run a 12v compressor fridge for 24hrs or so depending on settings etc.
The Ocean has a 150amp leisure battery system but the Beach only 75amp.
You could retrofit a Mains system and charger for campsite use on EHU.
Fit a 2nd leisure battery. I don't know if you could fit a larger output battery in the OEM position.
Fit solar, as many have done for extended off-grid use.

Shows you what VW know and what happens in practice. The only electrical difference between the T6.1 Beach Camper and Beach Tour is the absence of a mains electrical hookup and 12v battery charger because the Tour does not come with this Option in the UK due to the twin sliders.
The built in 2nd/Leisure battery is perfectly adequate to run a 12v compressor fridge for 24hrs or so depending on settings etc.
The Ocean has a 150amp leisure battery system but the Beach only 75amp.
You could retrofit a Mains system and charger for campsite use on EHU.
Fit a 2nd leisure battery. I don't know if you could fit a larger output battery in the OEM position.
Fit solar, as many have done for extended off-grid use.
No 2nd battery is not power operate cfx55im. in short hours second battery kaput. Is can only gives energy to what is activate camping panel. ( beach is not fridge camping panel control, fridge is bluetooth / wifi operations ).
I am 5 years warranty my beach. if is after-fitting electric apparatus and exterior energy connection like is ocean Vw is then tells, body warranty ie remove, electrical warranty is remove.
Already I having charging problems second battery always empty and is warning alarm camping panel and is dash display also warning second battery empty.
I not want lose warranty for Vw to repair.

No 2nd battery is not power operate cfx55im. in short hours second battery kaput. Is can only gives energy to what is activate camping panel. ( beach is not fridge camping panel control, fridge is bluetooth / wifi operations ).
I am 5 years warranty my beach. if is after-fitting electric apparatus and exterior energy connection like is ocean Vw is then tells, body warranty ie remove, electrical warranty is remove.
Already I having charging problems second battery always empty and is warning alarm camping panel and is dash display also warning second battery empty.
Sorry, maybe English is not your first language, but I don't understand your problem.
Without mains charging the 2nd Leisure Battery will only be charged to 80% capacity by the smart alternator unless the " Fast Charge " is used , so I gather.
Therefore, a compressor fridge, depending on its settings, will have less run time.
If you don't wish to formally wire in a Mains socket etc: on the vehicle because you are worried about the Warranty then just use a Camping mains lead that is used for tents/awnings that ends in a 3 pin socket, plug a Ctek battery charger into it and connect crocodile clips to the +the pole and an earthing point on the chassis.

Sorry, maybe English is not your first language, but I don't understand your problem.
Without mains charging the 2nd Leisure Battery will only be charged to 80% capacity by the smart alternator unless the " Fast Charge " is used , so I gather.
Therefore, a compressor fridge, depending on its settings, will have less run time.
If you don't wish to formally wire in a Mains socket etc: on the vehicle because you are worried about the Warranty then just use a Camping mains lead that is used for tents/awnings that ends in a 3 pin socket, plug a Ctek battery charger into it and connect crocodile clips to the +the pole and an earthing point on the chassis.

Thankyou answer, problem camper is 2.

1. Is vw tells to me beach 6.1 is not have leisure battery - is " additional battery " - is they tells that is only for give energy to items Camping Control panel switch on and off.

I have separate fridge I am attach energy point ( vw builds such energy point ) in trunk. Can also cigarettes make smoke here. Fridge makes " additional battery " empty very quickly.
So I am think I like charge " additional battery " extra energy but cannot - only when is motor operates.
I switch " Fast charge " and 30 minutes noise and pollution " additional battery " 50% level.
Is very bad system - if is Greta see she is make big storm this system.

So I like home and camping area give outside boost energy to Additional battery - how I can doing this and not Vw turns off my warranty. You give excellent answer - now I must try looking see how is I can find terminal power attach for Additional Battery - Vw is hiding secret terminals makes impossible see / find / attach and I must not damage electric system.

Is much better next Beach, Vw make energy connection terminal convenient location ( under hood? ) such can owner place extra energy this battery.

Thankyou answer, problem camper is 2.

1. Is vw tells to me beach 6.1 is not have leisure battery - is " additional battery " - is they tells that is only for give energy to items Camping Control panel switch on and off.

I have separate fridge I am attach energy point ( vw builds such energy point ) in trunk. Can also cigarettes make smoke here. Fridge makes " additional battery " empty very quickly.
So I am think I like charge " additional battery " extra energy but cannot - only when is motor operates.
I switch " Fast charge " and 30 minutes noise and pollution " additional battery " 50% level.
Is very bad system - if is Greta see she is make big storm this system.

So I like home and camping area give outside boost energy to Additional battery - how I can doing this and not Vw turns off my warranty. You give excellent answer - now I must try looking see how is I can find terminal power attach for Additional Battery - Vw is hiding secret terminals makes impossible see / find / attach and I must not damage electric system.

Is much better next Beach, Vw make energy connection terminal convenient location ( under hood? ) such can owner place extra energy this battery.
VW calls it Battery 2 but it is in fact a Leisure battery that will run the non-vehicle/engine items eg: lights in rear 12v sockets in rear and the Diesel powered Parking Heater if fitted.
The battery is located under the front passenger seat RHDrive.
To gain access, undo the 4 bolts/nuts that hold the seat to the frame and gently tilt the seat forward to rest on the dashboard. DO NOT UNPLUG THE WIRES LEADING INTO SEAT BASE. These are for the seat air bag and seat heating. If these wires are unplugged they will show an error on dashboard if Ignition is switched On.
Remove rubber cover over battery.
If you use a Ctek charger the 12v output lead ends in a socket and you plug in the connection lead. Different types of connection leads ending with crocodile clips, ring connectors or a 12v plug.
Ideally you would use the ring connectors, but the crocodile clips will do the job. Connect red lead to +the pole of battery and the black to a convenient bolt such as the bolt holding the battery clamp to the floor. Replace cover and leave the battery charger lead exiting the cover at bottom rear and seat base rear. Replace seat.
Then when you want to charge just plug the Ctek lead into the charging lead plug at the rear of the seat base.

ThankYou - this excellent help information.
I will buying this charger and make connection to boost battery energy! - ThankYou!

The other important note is what sort of fridge is it that you have been using? If it is not a compressor fridge, but instead an electric cool box like the vw climabox then that will flatten the leisure battery in a few hours as they are very energy inefficient. A compressor fridge should last a day or more in one leisure battery.

The other important note is what sort of fridge is it that you have been using? If it is not a compressor fridge, but instead an electric cool box like the vw climabox then that will flatten the leisure battery in a few hours as they are very energy inefficient. A compressor fridge should last a day or more in one leisure battery.
I am use Dometic cfx55im - I am not use ice maker control - is take extra energy. I think domestic is low energy consume battery.
I am buy this ctek charger and cable recommend Welshgas - when arrive, it try make Additional battery to full and how long is battery stay good.

Is not winter time now and I not switch to On the heating camping heater - I am hope is can battery operate this heater in night time and not must power camper motor obtaining heat in night time.
I am wonder how many hour camping heater can operate this additional battery?

How new is your Beach? I wonder if it was sitting awaiting delivery for a long time and the leisure battery discharged damaging it. It should last longer than you describe when new even only 80% charged. Can you ask dealer to check it? Ocean parking heater lasts a few days so long as there is enough diesel. Battery side of it is only powering the fan so even on the beach should last 24 hours. This is for the diesel parking heater. It is different from the auxillary coolant heater. Depends which one you have fitted.

The problem with your fridge sounds like the problem we had with ours. The issue is not insufficient battery capacity but voltage drop from the cigar lighter.

We resolved the problem by cutting the cigar lighter off the fridge power lead and replacing with an Anderson connector. Using a fused eyelet to Anderson we bypass the Beach electrics and avoid any warranty issues.

I can take photos of our setup if it would help.

The battery is located under the front passenger seat RHDrive.
To gain access, undo the 4 bolts/nuts that hold the seat to the frame and gently tilt the seat forward to rest on the dashboard. DO NOT UNPLUG THE WIRES LEADING INTO SEAT BASE.
The battery cover can be removed and terminals accessed without unbolting the seat. (I cannot recall if it is with the seat swivelled or front facing). Counter intuitively it is easier to replace the battery cover than it is to remove it.

I am use Dometic cfx55

The Dometic CFX range have a low voltage cutout. When the voltage drops below a pre-determined level the fridge stops working until the voltage rises. This is to protect the *starter* battery on most vehicles, but it also has a setting to protect damage to auxiliary batteries.

The three settings are displayed as hI, md, lo (high, medium and low).

515cfdfb9a17fa8ce7c99f993829c707.jpg

It is safe to set the fridge to lo. It will turn off at 10.1 volts and restart at 11.1 volts.

You will also lose about 1 volt between the battery and fridge due to the poor cigarette lighter connection. I have already described how you could overcome this, but if you are keeping your fridge in the boot and you have twin sliding doors, running the cable from battery to boot might be tricky. Keeping the fridge behind the front passenger seat would be easier.

The battery cover can be removed and terminals accessed without unbolting the seat. (I cannot recall if it is with the seat swivelled or front facing). Counter intuitively it is easier to replace the battery cover than it is to remove it.
On the T6.1 however you do not want to connect the charger -tve lead to the battery -tve terminal, but an earthing point because of the Battery Monitor connected, for the new Control Panel. I don’t know how easy that would be with the seat still in place.

The problem with your fridge sounds like the problem we had with ours. The issue is not insufficient battery capacity but voltage drop from the cigar lighter.

We resolved the problem by cutting the cigar lighter off the fridge power lead and replacing with an Anderson connector. Using a fused eyelet to Anderson we bypass the Beach electrics and avoid any warranty issues.

I can take photos of our setup if it would help.
I wondering if this is also our troubles with battery and fridge?. Is possible if is same for you and is great you are find fix.

A photograph is super help - more easy explain the situation how is fix than is writing!. many thank you to do this!

I wondering if this is also our troubles with battery and fridge?. Is possible if is same for you and is great you are find fix.

A photograph is super help - more easy explain the situation how is fix than is writing!. many thank you to do this!

The story in photos

IMG_1460.JPG
Our fridge (Waeco/Dometic CFX28) usually goes here.

IMG_1458.JPG

This lead, but fused with a 40 amp fuse, is attached to the battery.

IMG_1461.JPG
You can see the lead and fuse on the red cable here.

IMG_1462.JPG
These are the two ends of our fridge lead.

IMG_1463.JPG
We also have an extension lead to the jack cavity in the boot so the fridge can be plugged in there.

IMG_1464.JPG
We also have an extension lead that leaves the van by the tailgate loom.

IMG_1465.JPG
The extension lead goes into the awning end cap.

IMG_1466.JPG
The Anderson connector is in a cavity inside the awning casing. We can plug the fridge in externally.

The story in photos

View attachment 84733
Our fridge (Waeco/Dometic CFX28) usually goes here.

View attachment 84732

This lead, but fused with a 40 amp fuse, is attached to the battery.

View attachment 84734
You can see the lead and fuse on the red cable here.

View attachment 84735
These are the two ends of our fridge lead.

View attachment 84736
We also have an extension lead to the jack cavity in the boot so the fridge can be plugged in there.

View attachment 84737
We also have an extension lead that leaves the van by the tailgate loom.

View attachment 84738
The extension lead goes into the awning end cap.

View attachment 84739
The Anderson connector is in a cavity inside the awning casing. We can plug the fridge in externally.
Excellent way you have you fridge connect and is many option how is power arrive fridge!.
I am now waiting amazon brings to me 10A charger for Additional battery and seeing how is going this.
I am like this special " connection " your power cables - is look strong and can transfer energy good to fridge.

Thanks everyone. We went to look at a brand new Beach Camper last weekend in Liverpool. The waiting time is lengthy. Does anyone know of any other stockists? Liverpool is close to us though - out of interest - they had the Ocean and the Grand Tourer in stock too. We will probably end up waiting for that one!

Just for sanity check - would you guys wait for new or buy second hand? For second hand the prices are inflated at the mo (even for cars it seems) but you get one NOW. But if you could wait - would you? I'm undecided.

Back