Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About the hook up plug

S

StevenZhang

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi everyone,
Two weeks ago I had a Cali trip to Wales, that was my first trip with my new Cali. Fortunately I had never use the hook-up because the battery power was enough.
I have a question, which hook-up plug we should use in the future, UK or Europe?

This is the original cable with my new Cali:
D532C34A-D1E8-4AF6-9FF1-215A4D419ACC.jpeg
It’s too short, so I bought another one,
343A74CC-A697-4C57-A454-74A9A3A6BB34.jpeg
In the UK, I think I should buy a different plug, so I bought the third one,
AD8FE3A3-75D1-49A5-89E9-E0C6139B829B.jpeg

but I noticed at many places, there are some charge pile like this,
2023BC6C-526F-41BD-A3DF-FEF99011A361.jpeg
359A6F63-E2F4-4911-B99A-562139E0AB24.jpeg
and lots of different charge plugs on sale in Ebay, 7 pin and 13 pin ?
047C474D-B901-4A27-9DAF-807C69188178.jpeg
Woo, how many hook-up we should to buy in the future in UK and Europe?
Thanks for your sharing

Second one with the orange cable. Take the first one with you in Europe in case you come across a camp site with an older hook up. It will connect to the second lead which will plug into your van. The fourth photo is an electric vehicle charging point so not relevant.

Hi everyone,
Two weeks ago I had a Cali trip to Wales, that was my first trip with my new Cali. Fortunately I had never use the hook-up because the battery power was enough.
I have a question, which hook-up plug we should use in the future, UK or Europe?

Thanks for your sharing
As above, plus this lead so that you can adapt the Orange lead so that you can plug into the Mains on your drive, which you should do every month for about 24 hrs to maintain the Leisure Batteries .

The first one is only any use if you have a 2 pin extension lead
or if you can park 0.5m away from the plug.
images-39.jpeg
I would stick at 2 and 3.

As above, plus this lead so that you can adapt the Orange lead so that you can plug into the Mains on your drive, which you should do every month for about 24 hrs to maintain the Leisure Batteries .

Keep and use your yellow lead, pic 3, for home charging. Take your orange lead, pic 2, for camping. No need for anything else...

Last edited:
Use your yellow lead, pic 3, for home charging and orange lead, pic 2, for camping. No need for anything else...
Ah, but sometimes when visiting my daughter on her smallholding we plug into the mains via a domestic socket and I would prefer carrying the adapter rather than a whole lead. Much easier to carry.

Good afternoon,

I thought only the following is needed:

1.) Cable
Length is debatable, but this is the main component:

1579536826594.png

2.) Adapter (home)
1579536862065.png

3.) Adapter (Europe)

1579536890185.png

4.) For testing maybe:

1579536942164.png

5.) and last for convenience:

1579536974888.png

1579536985947.png

In your middle picture (The Cargemaster) isn't it for electric cars? I am not sure, I never had or used one. If it is I don't believe it can be used to connect the power to the van (but please correct me when I am wrong).

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

I thought only the following is needed:

1.) Cable
Length is debatable, but this is the main component:

View attachment 54366

2.) Adapter (home)
View attachment 54367

3.) Adapter (Europe)

View attachment 54368

4.) For testing maybe:

View attachment 54369

5.) and last for convenience:

View attachment 54370

View attachment 54371

In your middle picture (The Cargemaster) isn't it for electric cars? I am not sure, I never had or used one. If it is I don't believe it can be used to connect the power to the van (but please correct me when I am wrong).

Regards,
Eberhard
Thank you so much!
I still want to know, can we use the charge piles with a conversion plug just like this?
175E420C-3960-47FD-A88E-72AE4AA44910.jpeg

In almost 8y California camping i never came accros that charge pile that you show above ? Are they not for charging electrical verhicles ? Having a flat spot and not round plug
Every campsite we visited in over 12 countries all had the blue three-pin plug .

Thank you so much!
I still want to know, can we use the charge piles with a conversion plug just like this?
View attachment 54373
This is for a trailer on your towbar.
You have 2 7-pins and 1 13 pin connection there.
You can't use it for any means of charging, unless you count the constant 12V and switched 12V for your caravan, which isn't present in a 7-pins connector.

In almost 8y California camping i never came accros that charge pile that you show above ? Are they not for charging electrical verhicles ?
Every campsite we visited in over 12 countries all had the blue three-pin plug .
Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!
View attachment 54373
No. They are for Electric Vehicles.

2695BB20-5251-4845-889C-3D95074C011E.jpeg
You could try, but don’t tell your Insurance Company they might not accept your claim that the California just burst into flames.

In almost 8y California camping i never came accros that charge pile that you show above ? Are they not for charging electrical verhicles ? Having a flat spot and not round plug
We've stayed at several campsites where the 2 pin adaptor has been required. I carry so many cables and adaptors I've lost track, and in Italy you're likely to need at least three different types of adaptor: Italian 10 amp three pin, Italian 16 amp three pin, Euro two pin.
IMG_0736.PNG

IMG_0737.JPG

@Amarillo , i also carry my two to three pin short lead . But was just pointing out that the standard on most sites is the blue three pin .
And if there should be a problem , most campsites wil have the correct cable/adaptor.in theire shed to borrow , or borrow one from a fellow camper .
I even made myself a UK-plug to three pin , that we take allong only when visiting the UK .

This is for a trailer on your towbar.
You have 2 7-pins and 1 13 pin connection there.
You can't use it for any means of charging, unless you count the constant 12V and switched 12V for your caravan, which isn't present in a 7-pins connector.
Thanks!

The best cable for hook up is ho7 rubber flex,ultra flexible and I use black commando 230v plug and socket image.jpg

Hi everyone,

View attachment 54359
View attachment 54360
View attachment 54361

View attachment 54364
View attachment 54362
View attachment 54363
Thanks for your sharing
Wouldn’t it be great if there was something like the ChargeMaster posts to charge leisure batteries: that would be very useful for topping up if you’re off grid for a while.

Ha, some Cali owners and power hook up are like teenagers and wifi, can't be away from it for more than half an hour.

Our Cali batts are nearly 4 yrs old but still never seem to drop below 70 percent on an overnight stay.

And we have a brilliant recharger on board, it sits under that lifty up thing at the front.

Have thought once or twice about fitting solar but really have never found the need, and rarely use a hookup post on a campsite even if there is one.

I know we're always 'touring' mode so the van gets driven every day, even if just for ashort loop, but just sayin.

Ha, some Cali owners and power hook up are like teenagers and wifi, can't be away from it for more than half an hour.

Our Cali batts are nearly 4 yrs old but still never seem to drop below 70 percent on an overnight stay.

And we have a brilliant recharger on board, it sits under that lifty up thing at the front.

Have thought once or twice about fitting solar but really have never found the need, and rarely use a hookup post on a campsite even if there is one.

I know we're always 'touring' mode so the van gets driven every day, even if just for ashort loop, but just sayin.
We always use HU on a site as we or should I say I cook on electric when on site also have an electric fa heater but yes if we are moving every day or 2 the leisure batteries are fine.

Anybody has an adapter to use a Tesla Supercharger station?
:upsidedown
The charger station only supplies power when a car is plugged into it,there’s 2 small pilot wires in the charging lead to enable the car to trigger the charge station to switch on/off