Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About the hook up plug

We have this cable provided with the California. it's the perfect length for charging the van in my garage. Can I use a Euro to UK plug converter? I assume I can but someone may know one that would safely work. (Thinking earthed, amp rating etc)

D532C34A-D1E8-4AF6-9FF1-215A4D419ACC.jpeg

We have this cable provided with the California. it's the perfect length for charging the van in my garage. Can I use a Euro to UK plug converter? I assume I can but someone may know one that would safely work. (Thinking earthed, amp rating etc)

View attachment 75030
Looks fine. The 2-pin 'Schuko' plug actually is earthed, through the metal strips at the sides. Or, you could of course cut off the plug and wire on a UK one.

If you go abroad you may need that for the odd old fashioned camp site.
The same socket/lead with a uk plug on is only £6 in Halfords.

The Halfords one is too short for my garage, that's why converting the longer one that came with the van to a UK plug would be perfect.

View attachment 75030
Some of the adapters actually swap over the live neutral lines, found that when plugging into holiday home in France sockets.

This commomly available type

Some of the adapters actually swap over the live neutral lines, found that when plugginto holiday home in France.
The polarity question has been covered extensively elsewhere on the forum. I believe the answer is don't worry about it, you won't do any damage (unless perhaps you try and plug in your granny's 40 year old single earthed hair dryer and even then you'll probably be fine).

The polarity question has been covered extensively elsewhere on the forum. I believe the answer is don't worry about it, you won't do any damage (unless perhaps you try and plug in your granny's 40 year old single earthed hair dryer and even then you'll probably be fine).
I know but just advising of this unexpected 'feature'.

Had me going in circles for a while with this on my polarity tester showing incorrectly wired wall socket.

Can't even pretend to understand polarity issues !

The Halfords one is too short for my garage, that's why converting the longer one that came with the van to a UK plug would be perfect.
Understood, I was more concerned that you might need the lead that you are about to cut the plug off of.