Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to order a Coast - would love some help!

D

DoctorCP

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We are just about to take the plunge and order a new Coast. Pretty sure we know all the things we want, but we'd really appreciate your more experienced thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance for the help!

Colour: perhaps the most superficially unimportant decision, but a point of some discussion in our house! We both really like the Bay Leaf Green metallic paint, but I also really like the Indium Grey metallic. It feels like the green might be a bit marmite for people, and that the grey might be a safer bet for potential resale down the line? Thinking that dirt will show rather more on the green that the grey as well. Any thoughts?

Extras: We are planning to add a few extras, as listed below, with the reasoning why. Would be interested to hear if you think that some of these are unneeded, and have we perhaps missed something that are generally thought to be essential?

- Storage net and 2nd drawer - not really bothered about the storage net, it is more the 2nd drawer in the bench seat. Seems a much more sensible use of this space than the big, long gap you get otherwise that you can only access from the rear?
- 80l fuel tank - seems a no-brainer to add a bigger tank, as it is only £80? We are planning some big trips to Scandinavia where long range would be a help.
- Sliding window in the load/passenger door - we have two kids, and there would be arguments if only one has a window that opens! Plus, it is useful to be able to open the other window for a bit more ventilation when cooking or sitting inside (when you don't want the door open)
- Privacy glass in the rear - I prefer the look of darker glass to clear, but don't know much about adding after-market tints. Any advice?
- Interior light concept for "Comfort" in passenger compartment - This strikes me as an expensive add on, but we mostly want this for the lights in the roof. Both our kids are avid readers, and having a single light running from the 12v adapter would be inadequate we think, not to mention a potential source of argument! Would definitely welcome views on this.
- Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat. Mainly basing this on the recommendation from the great videos that California Chris in Liverpool does on YouTube. Cost seems good compared to aftermarket mattresses, and they also seem to be regularly sold out! Thoughts?
- Mudflaps - seems silly not to add them for £162
- Canvas sides including panorama window - When we hired the Ocean, the kids were always looking out at what was going on through the front window. Didn't use the full opening, but can see the appeal. Think it would be a bit restrictive with just the standard side windows?

Where to buy: I have a quote from Drive the Deal, and also from a range of local dealers. The DtD is lowest, but not massively so in the grand scheme of things. Given that we absolutely intend to keep the van in tip-top condition, with all its services done on time etc. we like the idea of have a relationship with a local dealer from the start. Is this just naivety (you can be honest!).
Our local VW Commercial dealer is JCT600 in Sheffield. I've seen some 'interesting' reviews about them on the forum, but I am slightly conscious that people only tend to go to the effort of writing reviews when they are upset, and rarely write a good review when they are happy (totally understandable!). Again, would really appreciate your thoughts. We are based in South Sheffield, is there a dealer what is within a few hours that it would be worth going out the way for, due to consistently excellent service?
Lots of questions there. As I'm sure you have all been through when hovering over the 'buy' button, we are excited/slightly filled with trepidation in equal measure! This would be our biggest ever purchase apart from a house, and whilst we are absolutely sure the California is right for us, we do want to get the thoughts of others on the details!

I'll be biased as we just went through this ourselves, but here's my opinion for what it's worth.

Colour - go with what you like. I honestly don't think colour puts people off a second hand buy. Our old one was light green! I love the green and like the grey. We chose not to spend on paint as we really like the red.

Drawer - we found the gap really useful and packed levelling ramps etc in there. Also great if you ski, kayak or anything with a long paddles. Or just taking stuff to the tip. You can still access the space but not limiting it with drawer.

80l tank - we got it. Cheap addition and makes a difference on long drives.

Window - we didn't see the need but don't have kids. Felt there was enough alternate ventilation for us.

Privacy glass - we went with it so it's useable straight away and wanted the insulated cab. You can get a better tint after market but not the insulated cab,. Check out the cali Chris vid on it,

Lights - look amazing but not worth the money in my view. There are plenty without the upgrade and it's incredibly expensive.

Comfort mattress - we find it utter crap and ended up buying alternatives. It is NOT comfortable. So we chose not to pick it to use the money on a better one.

Mudflaps- up to you. Not an essential for me

Canvas- absolutely yes. Someone commented earlier that they wished they had it on their coast. To me, its a real WOW, campervan dream thing. So totally worth the money.

Hope that helps. The more you spec up the Coast, the more the Ocean looks better value. In my mind, the Coast is an improved T5 so we don't need many extras for us.

Privacy glass - we went with it so it's useable straight away and wanted the insulated cab. You can get a better tint after market but not the insulated glass

To clarify, heat insulating glass is standard, the option adds only privacy glass behind the b pillar...

I got the comfort mattress and it is rubbish.

plenty of lighting downstairs but poor in roof.

wish we’d got the mud flaps but can be added later

Also rear view camera is a great cheap option. The sensors lose their sh*t when you are about 10 metres from an obstruction so the camera is great for getting into a tighter spot with good guides. We also got the part assist and I used it once and probably never again.

Hi there we ordered our new Coast a few weeks ago. Have you visited a dealer and looked at one ? We looked at an Ocean and went through all the spec with them so could work out what we wanted.

-Didn't go for the lighting extra as seemed expensive for what you get, the Coast comes with a lamp as standard in the roof which plugs into the 12v power supply.
- Muds flaps yes, stops mud splatter, should be standard imo
- 80l tank yes, less filling up, I'm wondering if will help with fuelling parking heater for longer ?
- rear parking camera was essential for us - the driveway is very narrow
- privacy glass yes, although some say it's not dark enough and have it done themselves
- 17 inch wheels but I've just seen one with 16 inch wheels and they look fine !
- Went for panoramic view in the end after chatting with people on this forum as it seems a popular choice and would help re -sale
- I would have liked fog lights too as I think it looks better but couldn't justify it in the end.
- we went for wood effect flooring as felt it gave the van a more holiday feel
- we chose starlight blue, chose the colour that makes you happy :)
- we didn't bother Sat nav as you plug in Google maps on phone

You can change the spec after the order but was a real pain when we did it.. initially told no and after many emails, calls chasing they eventually agreed to it. There must be a cut off point when you can no longer change it though.

Happy speccing !

Forgot to mention the comfort mattress, we didn't go for that either as they are a lot less at Campervabits but just noticed too they are out of stock !

If I was ordering a Coast, I would add all of those options with the exception of the mattress, unless you’ve tried and like the VW mattress.

I would also add fog lights (mostly for looks but also practicality) and 3 zone climatronic in order to have proper air con in the rear.

I would have to seriously think about the light concept as it does improve the feel and useability of the kitchen on dark nights and improves upstairs lighting too.

I would also add 3 zone climatronic in order to have proper air con in the rear.

I would second this, as you have said that you are travelling with 2 kids. If you do any long trips over the summer months then this does help keep the back of the van cool. We have friends with a T6 conversion (without the 3 zone system) and their kids took turns in the front seat last summer to get a bit of cooling from the cab aircon. It’s expensive but worth it (And much more actual kit than just some more vents, it does have another air con evaporator and heating matrix too)

Yes I would agree the 3 zone climatronic is advisable with children travelling too - I had it ordered then cancelled it after finding out on the forum exactly what it is & as theres only 2 of us I cancelled that option.
The hardest part after choosing the colour is keeping the options in check!

I agree regarding the extra sliding window. We don’t have it and could’ve done with the extra ventilation during hot nights in France.

Would need insect mesh panels though.

Thanks for all your help people, really appreciated. Based on your well reasoned thoughts we have decided on the following options:

Sliding window in driver side door
Rear tints
Reversing camera
Larger fuel tank
Mudflaps
Canvas bellows
Rear air con

Still a bit of discussion on the colour!
Nearly ready to place the order. Wait is now 6-9 months!!!! But gives longer to save more money I guess...

Will certainly be looking for further help on accessories, insurance etc etc

Def get the lighting pack. Great for kids in the roof.
We have a beach but believe it’s similar.

3 zone for the kids in the back was a must for us. It is brilliant, but pricey.

Rear view camera as others said, ours was a demo van, and the dealer didn’t know if had the camera, so that was a nice surprise I probably wouldn’t have specced from new, but now I love it. Even my wife loves it and she’s a tech fobe. It’s a lump and in tight spaces, gives you confidence.

Only thing I’d add, because I wish I’d had it was the tow bar. Factory fit removable. Cheaper than doing it after and neater job. It’s the way to go for bike rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I was at a dealer yesterday, asking about the Coast.
I want a heater for cold nights - I think it's called a 'parking heater'. Does that come as standard?

The dealer was telling me that the only way to have heating at night is to add the Climatronic option (£990). Does that sound right?

I want a heater for cold nights - I think it's called a 'parking heater'. Does that come as standard?

The dealer was telling me that the only way to have heating at night is to add the Climatronic option (£990). Does that sound right?
Dealer is wrong. Overnight heater is standard on UK Coast.

The climatronic is entirely separate and provides 3 zones of air con - driver, passenger and rear - and includes an extra air con unit and heating matrix. This is for heating/ cooling whilst the engine is running.

Dealer is wrong. Overnight heater is standard on UK Coast.

The climatronic is entirely separate and provides 3 zones of air con - driver, passenger and rear - and includes an extra air con unit and heating matrix. This is for heating/ cooling whilst the engine is running.

Thank you Disappointing to be misinformed as I made a special trip to a dealer that gets good review on these pages.

Does the heater run off diesel?

Answered already, but the dealer is wrong, it is standard. The parking heater runs off a tiny amount of diesel and is very effective and quiet. Can also be programmed to come on by a timer, like central heating at home! The climatronic option is for air conditioning in the passenger area.

Hi I have been told by my dealer that the extra ‘window with fly screen’ option in the configurator (£120) is actually just a fly screen for the window over the kitchen. The use of the terms ‘left’ and ‘right’ in the options list is confusing to say the least. The Coast was launched in the UK without an option for a window in the sliding door (see Cali Chris vid from 2020) but users of this forum who have recently taken delivery of a Coast are saying there is now a window in the door as standard. So check before you spend £120 on a mesh square! It’s hard to believe vw would charge £120 for an extra window when a torch costs £90!

Hi I have been told by my dealer that the extra ‘window with fly screen’ option in the configurator (£120) is actually just a fly screen for the window over the kitchen. The use of the terms ‘left’ and ‘right’ in the options list is confusing to say the least. The Coast was launched in the UK without an option for a window in the sliding door (see Cali Chris vid from 2020) but users of this forum who have recently taken delivery of a Coast are saying there is now a window in the door as standard. So check before you spend £120 on a mesh square! It’s hard to believe vw would charge £120 for an extra window when a torch costs £90!

Indeed, our Coast came with window in sliding door that we didn't order...

sliding window on sliding door now comes with fly screen as well

That’s good, I can see the standard spec list for Coast has now been updated to include window in sliding door and fly screen. Thanks!

Grey is according to dealers the most popular colour by a long long way. Make of this what you will. Could make it more appealing should you care about resale.

The coast does have a bright interior which may suit the grey. The Ocean interior is quite dull in comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
We ordered our coast in April and have chosen similar options to you. We chose the lighting upgrade for the lights in the roof too. I read in bed and although silly money, this would make life easier.
We didn't add the comfort mattress, as we plan to add a S2S one later.

In addition to your spec we added the reversing camera.....I felt this was essential.

Gary

Back