Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue warning won’t go away

Rololux

Rololux

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I know there’s loads of threads on Adblue, but I can’t find help for my issue. I am currently 1000km from home, and had the ‘fill up Adblue’ warning yesterday. Range was 2500km, fill up with between 4.25 and 5.75 litres. So I picked up a 5 litre pack, and put it in last night at the campsite. This morning, error message has not gone away, and now the range is down to 1900km (I had a long drive today). I might have enough range to get home, but there is some anxiety there, as I don’t know quite how long we’ll be away for. What will happen if the range gets low? Will it not start at 0km, or will it simply stop at 0km (unlikely, since there’s a safety issue there!!). Or will the warnings get more severe at say 500km?

If I make it home, I can go to my dealer. If not, I’m guessing I’ll break down somewhere! Is there any way to reset the warning? For sure, there is plenty of Adblue in the tank.

Thanks.

I know there’s loads of threads on Adblue, but I can’t find help for my issue. I am currently 1000km from home, and had the ‘fill up Adblue’ warning yesterday. Range was 2500km, fill up with between 4.25 and 5.75 litres. So I picked up a 5 litre pack, and put it in last night at the campsite. This morning, error message has not gone away, and now the range is down to 1900km (I had a long drive today). I might have enough range to get home, but there is some anxiety there, as I don’t know quite how long we’ll be away for. What will happen if the range gets low? Will it not start at 0km, or will it simply stop at 0km (unlikely, since there’s a safety issue there!!). Or will the warnings get more severe at say 500km?

If I make it home, I can go to my dealer. If not, I’m guessing I’ll break down somewhere! Is there any way to reset the warning? For sure, there is plenty of Adblue in the tank.

Thanks.
Think you will find the Ad Blue fill up requirement is expressed in gallons, not litres.

The OP is from Luxembourg so his MFD will show litres.
My Ad Blue warning came on at 1500 miles and my Ad Blue fill requirement is the same but expressed in gallons equating to a max of just under 22 litres which should be correct. Upto 5.75 litres to fill the Ad Blue tank is simply not correct

My Ad Blue warning came on at 1500 miles and my Ad Blue fill requirement is the same but expressed in gallons equating to a max of just under 22 litres which should be correct. Upto 5.75 litres to fill the Ad Blue tank is simply not correct
A 199 engine is an early T6.1 - they came with a much smaller - about 10 litre Ad Blue tank.

Yes, 199 6.1 MY21, small Ad Blue tank. But this is not the issue - why has it not registered the fact that I have filled the tank, and what can I do about it, short of a dealer trip??

BTW - 5 litres of Ad Blue from a German motorway service station for 30 Euros seems a bit steep!

go to an adblue pump. put in a couple more litres. turn on ignition. wait 30 seconds and turn off. now start engine.

Did you complete the steps in post 5?

Don't try out think the van. It knows if you have closed the door etc.
Yes, I did this, although maybe not long enough - good shout - I’ll try again in the morning, and give it a bit longer. Never had a problem before though.

Thanks for the tip!

I’ve just had the same problem and couldn’t get it to reset. In the end I went to a garage that had an adblue pump and filled it completely then followed the steps as detailed above and success! Going to try to remember to keep it regularly topped up in future.

Yes, I did this, although maybe not long enough - good shout - I’ll try again in the morning, and give it a bit longer. Never had a problem before though.

Thanks for the tip!
Let us know how you get on eh?

Let us know how you get on eh?
No luck by leaving the ignition on for a minute or so several times this morning. Currently says 1700km range, and I think we will drive for around 1000km home, so should be enough to get home. No petrol stations seem to have Adblue pumps around here (Jutland, Denmark). My local in Lux does though!

No luck by leaving the ignition on for a minute or so several times this morning. Currently says 1700km range, and I think we will drive for around 1000km home, so should be enough to get home. No petrol stations seem to have Adblue pumps around here (Jutland, Denmark). My local in Lux does though!
Fingers crossed for you. VW assist if all else fails.

Don't know if it helps but I need to fill mine upto the point that no more will go in to clear the warning.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks.
Check your wiring underneath, it’s a common problem here that foxes chew the wiring that connects the add blue injector creating the fault, first thing I did in January is to wrap the area in chicken wire, it’s not a cheap repair around £500

Thanks.
Hi, I have had the same problem and issues with my 2020 Cali. Coast. The VW garage (as always) thought I was doing something wrong. To cut a long story short. In contrast to what the manual states. I have to 'over fill' the tank, to the point where the AdBlue is actually spilling out from the filler. Only then does the sensor go out. Hope this helps.
Jon's T6.1VAN

The system could be faulty. We had a lot of issues with ours until we had a new system installed…

NB: Apparently the engine will continue to run normally, even if the Adblue range drops to 0Km/miles BUT if the engine is switched off at this point it will not restart until the fault is corrected or Adblue added.

So, on your trip home Switch Off STOP/ START.

NB: Apparently the engine will continue to run normally, even if the Adblue range drops to 0Km/miles BUT if the engine is switched off at this point it will not restart until the fault is corrected or Adblue added.

So, on your trip home Switch Off STOP/ START.
Well on the way home now - 450km to go. Just before we camped for the night, got a more severe warning that we’d hit the 1000km to go mark, and that if it hit zero, the engine would not start! Should be ok, but there is a large Total garage in the village, that will like-as-not have an Adblue pump. We’ll visit in the morning, fill up to the brim, and see if the fault will clear. If not, we’ll keep close eye on the Adblue range, and make sure we don’t let the engine stop if it starts getting seriously low! This trip is over anyway now, so if we break down, we’ll be recovered and no harm done. Just want to make sure it does not happen due to a stop / start episode in a traffic jam on the autobahn. That would be embarrassing!!

Just be aware, the gauge may not be that accurate. Recovery of a vehicle that gone into limp mode because its run out of ad-blue isnt always a straightforward fix. It can be expensive and time consuming and it's not a bill that will be covered by warranty!

Just be aware, the gauge may not be that accurate. Recovery of a vehicle that gone into limp mode because its run out of ad-blue isnt always a straightforward fix. It can be expensive and time consuming and it's not a bill that will be covered by warranty!

Fair point, but my van has not run out of Adblue, it just thinks it has! I put in 5 litres 1500km ago - there is plenty in the tank. If the gauge is faulty, or the software is dodgy, then that is a warranty issue. I have 5 years cover. But I’m pretty confident I’ll get home, so I’ll sleep well tonight. But better have another beer to be sure!

So, all good. Finally found an Adblue pump this morning, and filled to the brim. Turned on ignition for the required 30s, and hey presto, no warning message.

This morning I put in 7.5 litres, which is on top of the 5 litres I put in when the van told me to put in between 4.25 and 5.75 litres. So 12.5 litres in total.

Two things I have learned form this:

1: Pay no attention to the amount of Adblue the van tells me to put in - just fill it up.

2: Do not buy Adblue from an Autobahn service station in Germany in a plastic container. 5 litres was 30 Euro, versus 1.295 Euros per litre from an Adblue pump, also in Germany!!!!!

All this (apart from the rip-off service station) applies to my van - T 6.1 199 MY21. Can’t vouch for other variants.

Thanks for all the useful comments.

Surprised users tell here you can fill adblue till it spills..
I was told the adblue filling sensor needed an airgap on top of adlue in order to detect volume. If it is filled completely the sensor cannot do its job and will not see you filled up, therefor you should nor add more than display shows.