Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue

I believe that AdBlue has a shelf life of c,18 months.
Correct, needs to be stored between -4C and +25C out of sunlight/UV rays.
Definitely don't let it freeze.

Really helpful thread. Have recently changed from Caravelle (I have been driving these for 25 years) to a Cali which is the first time I have had to use AdBlue. Just back from first big trip to Switzerland. What a vehicle!

Freezing it won't damage it. Just let it thaw before you use it.
Yes but the flimsy containers that it's usually sold in will probably split. Freezes at -11C

Will it/Does it freeze in the tank?
Yes but only in extreme conditions as it will have some protection being under the Cali. From memory I think that my former HGV's Adblue tanks were heated,

If Cali parked up for some time with no parking heater running, a strong wind in sub 11 degrees C. then it would in theory start to freeze.
In practical terms I'd assume that the engine would be running before any Adblue demand is made thawing out the Adblue. Diesel freezes unless winter additives are in it.
VW's extreme cold tests should have shown if any problem needed attention relating to this aspect.

No doubt any Scandinavian Members will have input on this potential issue.

Some information that I found -- For DEF read Adblue

HOW TO PREVENT DEF FREEZING?
DEF freezing was taken into account by the OEMs prior to creating the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems. Therefore, the SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines; however, if the vehicle is shut down and exposed to freezing temperatures, then it is likely that the DEF will freeze. Diesel owners do not need to worry about DEF interfering with their vehicle, however. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shutdown, startup and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. In most cases, the SCR heating system will quickly thaw the DEF in order to return it to liquid form and resume normal operation.

NEED TO PROTECT YOUR DEF FROM FREEZING? GIVE US A CALL AND TALK TO A POWERBLANKET HEATING EXPERT TODAY. 866-945-4203, OR VISIT OUR DEF STORAGE HEATER PAGE HERE.

CAN ANYTHING BE ADDED TO PREVENT DEF FREEZING?

Many want to know if anti-gelling or freeze-point-improver can be added to the DEF mixture to prevent freezing. DO NOT put additives into the urea solution because DEF must remain pure. The quality of DEF is extremely important for proper performance. Adding any additives would damage its ability to perform correctly and could even result in damages to the SCR system. No additives are approved for DEF at this time.

When SusiBus was in for its last service it had a recall for the Adblue system, referred to as S546. Apparently the NOX emissions were not being controlled enough, so the system needed more Adblue squirting into wherever it squirts it into to control it.
VW are kindly going to give owners who have the S546 update the next 8 refills FOC because of the increased consumption of Adblue. To my reckoning that's about 36000 miles worth! This can be claimed at any van dealer, and it doesn't have to be a Cali dealer.
I don't quite know what to think of VW's generosity, but think VW, and there will be an emissions issue.

Sanity check.
My 6.1 has only done 3772 miles so i’ve not yet had to top up with AdBlue. Do I wait for a warning on the dash? I’ve been keeping an eye on AdBlue range in both WeConnect and in the vehicle but the displayed numbers don’t change (they don’t agree either?!). I’m assuming that’s because it’s nowhere near the refill threshold?

093F2D84-778A-46AC-A9DF-D670689B7ADB.png

89D5325F-4FE1-47C0-A3C9-B59BC37363A5.jpeg

Don't wait for a warning.

Display says that you can top up with between 1.5 & 1.75 gal.

T6.1 has a large 27 Litre Adblue tank indicating that the 2500 mile range is reasonably accurate.

I usually wait until down to 1000 miles or 500 minimum before filling.
if a long holiday trip planned I fill up before I go but my T6 has only a 13 Litre capacity.

On the T6 the warning would start well before it needed topping up - so even with the lower tank size I always waited for the warning.

The T6.1 has a much longer range for Adblue. So again, I would assume that waiting for the warning would give ample time to top it up.

Don't wait for a warning.

Display says that you can top up with between 1.5 & 1.75 gal.

T6.1 has a large 27 Litre Adblue tank indicating that the 2500 mile range is reasonably accurate.

My MY 2020 T6.1 still has the smaller 13L ad-blu tank as has grumpy granddad looking at miles covered & remaining.

I managed 4000 miles before it needed 2.0 gal, if the range suits - ie no long trips away soon, you ideally want it to get to the point where you can add 2.2 gallons.
That way you can put in a complete 10 litre container to fill it.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I’m still a little uncertain because the car says 2500 mile range but has shown that for a while now. WeConnect shows >1492 mile range and again has shown that for a while.

Should I fill it now with a minimum of 1.5 gallons as per the vehicle display?

Thanks all. I’m still a little uncertain because the car says 2500 mile range but has shown that for a while now. WeConnect shows >1492 mile range and again has shown that for a while.

Should I fill it now with a minimum of 1.5 gallons as per the vehicle display?
I would just buy a 5L and put that in.

I would just buy a 5L and put that in.

@Loz
I thought you had to be careful with the quants added? if it says a minimum of 1.5 gallons = shouldn't you be putting in 7 litres?

If Grumpy does another 500 or so miles the required quantity will get to 10 litres = one big can.

PS in case you hadn't thought of it, the amount required changes slightly due to rounding if you turn the units on the dashboard to metric - at least then you can see how much to add in the units you buy it in.

@Loz
I thought you had to be careful with the quants added? if it says a minimum of 1.5 gallons = shouldn't you be putting in 7 litres?

If Grumpy does another 500 or so miles the required quantity will get to 10 litres = one big can.

PS in case you hadn't thought of it, the amount required changes slightly due to rounding if you turn the units on the dashboard to metric - at least then you can see how much to add in the units you buy it in.
Indeed, I misread that as max..

Thanks all, being an AdBlue virgin I had some concerns as the handbook says overfilling can damage the system. Seems crazy to me that it’s even possible to overfill.

Anyway, put about 7.5 litres in and all seems good.

2DFC05C1-983A-4A59-81F0-3182F5F387C3.jpeg

That ultrasonic beam thingy sounds expensive .and a pretty bad idea???
I hope it’s reliable ????
I plan on keeping our new California for some years!!!! :)
why not use a good old float valve vw??? WOW
Pig urine and ultrasonic beams
What next ;)
A commonly used sensor these days that sidesteps the problem of putting a float valve / capacitive sensor / pressure traducer in the corrosive liquid. There are many ultrasonic sensors on the outside of the vehicle for the park assist system which might explain the engineering choice.

Good Morning All

Anybody know why the MFD display would indicate a range of 12,000 miles, with a suggested refill volume of 7.5 - 8.2 litres? The WeConnect shows >1492m. It will be the first time I've filled it, having done about 4,200 miles so far. Going to Scotland next week so would rather do it before i leave.

Good Morning All

Anybody know why the MFD display would indicate a range of 12,000 miles, with a suggested refill volume of 7.5 - 8.2 litres? The WeConnect shows >1492m. It will be the first time I've filled it, having done about 4,200 miles so far. Going to Scotland next week so would rather do it before i leave.
The mfd shows the accurate range, no need to refill yet.
Don’t know why but we connect only gives exact mileage left when you get under 1500miles left. The >1492m is the highest number I’ve ever seen on the we connect app.

The mfd shows the accurate range, no need to refill yet.
Don’t know why but we connect only gives exact mileage left when you get under 1500miles left. The >1492m is the highest number I’ve ever seen on the we connect app.

1492 miles is 2400km. Maybe that is the max range the boffins at VW think should be possible!?