Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Addblue

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just got the 600miles warning light. Have read here about not overfilling. Having looked at the manual it does not say the size of the tank. So what’s a safe amount to put in so it does not overfill, or is best to underfill and wait for the next time the sensor trips

Just got the 600miles warning light. Have read here about not overfilling. Having looked at the manual it does not say the size of the tank. So what’s a safe amount to put in so it does not overfill, or is best to underfill and wait for the next time the sensor trips
Does it not say on the display how much you have to fill it up with?

As far as I know, the level indicator is not reset until the tank is filled again and you will keep getting the warning until you have filled it. I could be wrong on this so happy to be corrected.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I gather the Dashboard MFD tells you how much to add. All in the Handbook and there is a procedure to follow to avoid problems.

Good afternoon,

The steps of how to refill AdBlue is in the handbook. In the MFD it will tell you the minimum and them maximum of AdBlue.

If following the steps in the handbook correctly, and stick the the min and max amount, the refill of AdBlue is straight forward.

The way I understood is that if less AdBlue is refilled as the minimum amount mentioned in the MFD the system won't recognize it. If more AdBlue is refilled there is a danger of overfilling.

But overfilling doesn't mean it just runs out of the tank, it seems it contaminates the sensor of the AdBlue tank. If this happens it is more than likely that it had to be cleaned and a system reset. Also the way I understood is, to clean the sensor the entire AdBlue tank system has to be uninstalled, sensor cleaned, tank re-installed and system reset. Like many things with VW that is expensive. I believe I saw here in the forum post saying that the cost could be several hundred Euros (well, sorry pounds).

I refilled my AdBlue tank for the fist time a few weeks ago (before that I went to VW). I ensured that I kept well above the minimum amount, but about 0.5 l under the maximum amount. Also followed the steps as outlined in the handbook to a "T". I had no problems.

My problem is that I have an unknown amount of AdBlue still in the 10 l canister. Which makes it a little bit difficult to judge the refill next time.

Regards,
Eberhard

Does it not say on the display how much you have to fill it up with?

As far as I know, the level indicator is not reset until the tank is filled again and you will keep getting the warning until you have filled it. I could be wrong on this so happy to be corrected.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
The AdBlue tank is about 10 litres. As Welshgas says the MDF display does say how much to add. I think my user manual does give the capacity of the AdBlue tank, alternatively give VW Commercials a call and ask.

The most important step once adblue is filled - IMPORTANT - TURN ON THE IGNITION AND WAIT FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS BEFORE YOU START THE VEHICLE .

Apologies for the CAPS. Not shouting but highlighting the importance, else the computer will not recognise the fill up and can cause it to report adblue errors.

No need to fill up the tank. If the 600 mile warning, then it will take 10 liters +. Use the 10 l.can from any petrol station. Else, you can use the 5 l one as well and fill again when it prompts you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Good afternoon,

The steps of how to refill AdBlue is in the handbook. In the MFD it will tell you the minimum and them maximum of AdBlue.

If following the steps in the handbook correctly, and stick the the min and max amount, the refill of AdBlue is straight forward.

The way I understood is that if less AdBlue is refilled as the minimum amount mentioned in the MFD the system won't recognize it. If more AdBlue is refilled there is a danger of overfilling.

But overfilling doesn't mean it just runs out of the tank, it seems it contaminates the sensor of the AdBlue tank. If this happens it is more than likely that it had to be cleaned and a system reset. Also the way I understood is, to clean the sensor the entire AdBlue tank system has to be uninstalled, sensor cleaned, tank re-installed and system reset. Like many things with VW that is expensive. I believe I saw here in the forum post saying that the cost could be several hundred Euros (well, sorry pounds).

I refilled my AdBlue tank for the fist time a few weeks ago (before that I went to VW). I ensured that I kept well above the minimum amount, but about 0.5 l under the maximum amount. Also followed the steps as outlined in the handbook to a "T". I had no problems.

My problem is that I have an unknown amount of AdBlue still in the 10 l canister. Which makes it a little bit difficult to judge the refill next time.

Regards,
Eberhard

This is helpful - thanks @Eber123.

As for the question in your mind. If you buy another 10L container and weigh it, it should be a little over 10kg, approx 1Kg per Litre of a liquid of similar density to water. Weigh the part filled container, subtract the weight of the container and that should give you a fairly accurate indication of volume. Eg 623g = 0.6 litres.

If filling at a forecourt pump, cheapest source, only put in the max or less shown on the MFD. It won't show filled amount as you do it only as shown earlier with switch on and wait for it to update.

Your Cali knows.
It will show you a message like this, with the min and max.
20201009_171353.jpg

My only concern would be the MFD under reporting the miles remaining and therefore the max amount of Adblue and therefore over filling. I’ve tended to go somewhere between the min and max depending on convenience.

Mike

I have only filled from the forecourt, not from a bottle or can so far. And only twice.
Basically, AFAIK I just filled until it stopped. Maybe this is wrong and I need to take more care next time, but the whole AdBlue thing seems to be an expensive disaster waiting to happen the way you have to be so careful. It's incredible that such a 'risky' (I mean costly if done wrong) system was deployed at all!

I have only filled from the forecourt, not from a bottle or can so far. And only twice.
Basically, AFAIK I just filled until it stopped. Maybe this is wrong and I need to take more care next time, but the whole AdBlue thing seems to be an expensive disaster waiting to happen the way you have to be so careful. It's incredible that such a 'risky' (I mean costly if done wrong) system was deployed at all!

I too have only ever filled from a forecourt pump. I’ve always filled until the pump clicked off, and the last few times I have cross-checked with the max figure on the MFD. The figures matched almost exactly. So, it appears, the system is configured to cut out when the max is achieved.

I get about 2000 mpg.

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice, where do you find pump versions of addblue ? And is it better to do that, Keelung a close eye on what I presume is a readout of the amount

where do you find pump versions of addblue ?

I have used the FindAdBlue app on Android, it did actually find me a pump in the UK when I needed it. It gets poor reviews (some old, and some not EU) for some reason.

As Tom says keep an eye on the amount going in vs. what it said on the MFD.

Follow the guide for the amount on the display and then reset as per the instructions, if your display is showing 600 miles left you will get a full 10 litre drum in. I have also filled when the display showed 2500 miles but stuck to the amount the display requested then reset with no problems. Should add I got 10 litres for a tenner from Screwfix, you can get it cheaper at a pump but if easier get to Screwfix

Most filling stations that have HGV pumps will have an AdBlue pump in the HGV area including most (all?) motorway service areas.

I refill at a reasonably local station on the A20 near Swanley. It is such an infrequent event and the van gives me so much warning for an AdBlue refill that I can plan my visit for a time when I’m passing.

UK pump AdBlue is about 80p per litre. I have paid as little as €0.35 on the continent.

I also treat Amarillo to a full tank of premium diesel at the same time. I have been told (possibly unreliably) that occasional tanks of premium diesel is as much benefit as frequent tanks of premium diesel.

As an aside, it seems to be a myth that you get greater mpg from premium diesel.
4349 Km Premium - 33.17 mpg
51,101 Km Normal - 33.92 mpg

If you have a service plan go to your local vw dealer and they’ll fill you up for free.

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice, where do you find pump versions of addblue ? And is it better to do that, Keelung a close eye on what I presume is a readout of the amount
Shell forecourts were having Adblue pumps installed last year as part of the general update. Other suppliers also. They look like normal fuel pumps at first glance.
Filling process is the same as any other fuel.
The pump nozzle has a safety feature, magnetic collar, that prevents Adblue being dispensed if accidentally inserted into the Diesel tank filler. Also stops any can filling unless you have a magnetic collar.

Annoying bit can be that it isn't possible to fill up with Diesel in the HGV area (bigger nozzle for faster flow rate).

Shell forecourts were having Adblue pumps installed last year as part of the general update. Other suppliers also. They look like normal fuel pumps at first glance.
Filling process is the same as any other fuel.
The pump nozzle has a safety feature, magnetic collar, that prevents Adblue being dispensed if accidentally inserted into the Diesel tank filler. Also stops any can filling unless you have a magnetic collar.

Annoying bit can be that it isn't possible to fill up with Diesel in the HGV area (bigger nozzle for faster flow rate).
They have the right sized nozzle at the shell garage at Gaily Island on the A5 just north of Cannock.

California Chris has a video on this on their youtube chanel. He says he only ever put 10 L in at a time.

I don't understand all the fuss about AdBlue. It is very straight forward, the dash display tell one how much to add, max and min amounts. Don't add more than the max - simples!