Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional Seat in the Ocean

L

LeeStoke

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hey all,

Been a long time member, but first post.

We are looking at buying a 2nd hand Ocean, but not many come with additinal seating. As we have three kids we need an extra seat.

Can you buy a single seat, and fit it to the railing system, on a 2nd hand Ocean (i.e. it doesn't have to be factory fitted?)

Cheers,
Lee

There’s usually a few 5th seats for sale in the accessories for sale section. You may need to wait for one in the right fabric

Hey all,

We are looking at buying a 2nd hand Ocean, but not many come with additinal seating. As we have three kids we need an extra seat.

Can you buy a single seat, and fit it to the railing system, on a 2nd hand Ocean (i.e. it doesn't have to be factory fitted?)

Cheers,
Lee
I would assume all Oceans have 3 rails in the floor, which you need to fit an extra seat, but you might want to check, since the Ocean bench seat only uses two.

There are numerous people using the 5th seat in an ocean.
The table can be used with the 5th seat in place.
It’s true the rather heavy additional seat needs removing to open the bed full length ( shove it in the awning) but there are other options. If kids are small you can leave the rear shelf at home & make up a 2/3 length bed - use that for 2 kids & put a hammock across the front seats for the 3rd.
If that works for you, you can have 3 kids in bed and still have the 5th seat available for an adult to sit on whilst accessing the sink/ stove/ fridge & still have room for a portapoti.

As a day to day five seater it works well - again leave the shelf at home & move the rear bench back.
Having the additional single seat also increases the options when it comes to separating fighting kids when driving!

Hey all,

Cheers,
Lee

If its a 4motion you will only have 2 rails which means the 5th Seat cannot used.

There are also a few non 4motions around with only 2 rails.
On a T6.1 2 rails are standard with a £78 option for the 3rd rail & further cost for the seat to go on it.

I wouldn't worry about the seat fabric too much - you'll probably be getting covers for your seats anyway. I've got a T5.1 seat for my T6 ocean that doesn't 'match' but it's fine. Then again, I've only used it once!

But (as an Ocean owner), if you regularly want to have 5-up, I would look seriously at a Beach. It might suit you better?

Mine is a FWD without the 3rd rail. That rail only comes together with the 5th seat.
If you don't take the 5th seat, your van will only have 2 rails, so not all Oceans have 3 rails.

Mine is a FWD without the 3rd rail. That rail only comes together with the 5th seat.
If you don't take the 5th seat, your van will only have 2 rails, so not all Oceans have 3 rails.
I think the third rail was optional on the SE, standard on the Ocean, and looks to be optional again on the Ocean 6.1.

If you are planning to camp with three children I think you’d be better off with a Beach. Three children before the teenage growth spurt will easily sleep on the lower bed.

There were also some photos shown a while ago (need to remember which post) where a forum member had a frame which took 3 children’s seats and was attached onto the Ocean 2-seat bench.
I assume that it used the Isofix points, and only good for so long as they children stay small Enough for the child seats, but it might be an interesting option if your kids are young and you don’t want to use a 5th Cali seat for a while