Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air Suspension

homerorchid

homerorchid

VIP Member
Recently ordered MY19 Ocean 4Motion DSG most options available selected. Have emailed dealer to look in to "Full" Air Suspension + Self levellers (Approx £5000/£6000) for following reasons:

- To be able to lower van allowing access to garage (security reasons).

- Ride comfort/stability

- Auto levelling on campsite/uneven ground with addition of self levelling.

Thoughts/opinion would be really appreciated, especially from those who have personal experience of same woth camper van

Question:

- Would it effect Warranty/Insurance

Thanks very much for any input

I had VB Air Suspension fitted a year ago.

It is the only VW approved air system as it will automatically raise if in the lower carpark mode or in raised offroad mode lower to normal height when the speed is increased.

I've had a prolonged and unresolved issue as regards to ride comfort. VB don't have a solution or even acknowledge the issue. Soft damping on the front.
I believe that it's due to me having the extra weight of 4M and DSG to control.

Stability on corners/roundabouts is pretty much the same as on steel springs. I'm having uprated anti-roll bars fitted next month. Should have had them from factory order.

Auto level facility is an optional extra and within the limits of suspension travel works well. I've found that being 6ft tall it can let the front or rear fully down giving a loss of headroom if you have an awning. One head bump soon makes you more aware of this.
Definitely much simpler than trying to use ramps.

Insurance was merely a case of notifying them, no extra charges.

I have had VB Air suspension fitted for about 6 months. Like BJG I have 4M and DSG. In the lowered road setting the damping in the front is harsh on some of the Wiltshire roads but I have experienced a good ride when at standard height - much better than the original coils. I don’t have need for the car park setting but the tilt follow feature is very useful for a tow bar mounted bike rack which is the primary reason I got it. Can raise the rear up, allowing the rack with 4 mtbs to drop clear of the tailgate without the outer bike resting on the ground. Auto adjust ride height has corrected the rear sagging when on the road and the auto level is very convienient in the campgrounds. Was also able to get a GVM update to 3400kg (and can get another 100kg if I put heavier rated tyres on). The 4M DSG Ocean has the most limited payload of all the California’s (375kg from memory) so depending on your load profile this may be an advantage.

Was it worth the £5000? As I had the money at the time and factored it into the Cali purchase price then yes. If I had to save up for it over a period of time then I doubt I would have had the discipline or patience.

Hello thanks very much for your detailed reply 's, very much appreciated.

Further questions to help decide if worth considering on new Cali order:

BJG, you said you have had a "prolonged and unresolved issue as regards to ride comfort". I'm having factory upgraded roll bars fitted, do you think this might help?

- Our garage has an entrance height of 1985mm (at a push 1995mm) , can Cali be lowered sufficiently to allow me to store Cali in garage?

- Are there any dials/switches, where are they fitted, what do they look like, will the dashboard need to be cut/drilled?

- How does "Auto level" work. Do you mean the four rams/plates that come down on each corner of van to level the van instead of using ramps. Do you have a switch or is it a remote control etc? I like the idea coz harder to steal Cali when down.

What could I expect to pay for VB Air Suspension and Auto Levelling?

Do you know if VB Air Suspension can be fitted at VW Van Centres.

Not sure if I'm asking these questions in right part of forum but they are relevant to buying our new Cali.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated

I can’t be definitive on min height as not something that I need to worry about, but 1995mm should be possible, I doubt 1985mm would be.

All adjustments are via a hand control unit that is on a telephone like expanding cord. I have mine located in the pocket mounted to the side of the seat base - when I need to adjust something I can readily access it. Other options where fixing it to the B pillar or on the bash.

Auto level is controlled by a button on the hand control unit. It works by dumping all air form the shocks and then inflating until the vehicle is level. It is limited by the travel of the suspension so needs to be on terrain that is not too unlevel to start with. It won’t act as a deterrent to theft - the only visual indicators are that it sits low and looks lowered unless you are on uneven ground where you may get interesting combos such as the rear being fully lowered and front at max extension. If they where able to start the car and drive off it would start beeping while automatically leveling to drive height.

Cost was about £5000 - not cheap. The GVM uprate was a further £200.

The system is fitted at VB certified fitters - I think there are about 5 throughout the UK. When I had mine done there were 3 other Calis in the garage getting the same done (and no other vehicles!).

Web link here: https://www.vbairsuspension.co.uk/en/

We have had it for four years now without any problems. Yes, I agree the ride is harsher in Sport mode but I doubt if it's any worse than a van with conventional lowered springs.
It is not fitted by VW but by independent companies licenced by VB.
Yes it will lower enough together in your garage. There are three standard settings but it can also go the absolute max and minutes although but driving must be done very slowly and fir very short distances due the high drive shaft angles.
No drilling or mods to the dash. You get a control unit on a curly cable. Ours sits in the doorside pocket on the drivers seat. It has pushbuttons for the various modes and up/down buttons for individual control front and rear. Self levelling is done by pressing a button once ignition is off. This operates individually on each wheel.
i can recommend Mick Leightly near Doncaster who has done literally hundreds of T5/6s.
Ours cost about £4500 but expect to pay a bit more as the T6 is a bit more involved then the T5 apparently.

Thankyou so much both of you for taking the time and providing such detailed replys. Once Cali has arrived I'll book an appointment and have a drive out to Doncaster. With regards to self levelling I was thinking of the four feet/legs with round plates on bottom of each leg, they come down (not sure if hydrolic/air/electric powered) from bottom of van to stablise/level van when static on campsite or parked on uneven ground, take the place of ramps for levelling, I will do a bit more research. Thanks again

You may be thinking of ‘steadies’ that caravans have: four legs that are wound down to keep the caravan stable. They are not used for levelling as far as I know, just keeping the caravan steady when you walk around in it. It could rock or move around with weight in one corner as the axles are right in the middle.

I’ve seen caravans levelled with ramps or similar just like vans. Caravans also have a jockey wheel at the front used for levelling.

Campervans and motorhomes have a wheel at each corner that do the job of stabilisation, I’ve not seen one with wind-down steadies but I may be wrong.

Hi Chinmusic, apparently there is an automatic hydraulic jacking system available from same fitter that briwy used for Air Suspension. Found this info on advantages:

"Horizontal in 120 seconds

Level at the push of a button

Fully automatic hydraulic levelling jacks

Sturdy and vibration-free position

Fit wheel locks easily

Change a tyre easily

Additional theft protection

Maintenance-free

Completely hydraulic levelling system

No wear and tear

Kind to chassis frames

Safety feature prevents driving off with hydraulic jacks deployed

Ready for immediate use

Improved waste water drainage from sink and shower

Jacks are retracted hydraulically, preventing them from getting stuck in soggy or frozen ground."

Not sure I'll be having fitted, quoted between £5000/£5500 for set-up installed on Cali but nice idea if money no object.

Thankyou so much both of you for taking the time and providing such detailed replys. Once Cali has arrived I'll book an appointment and have a drive out to Doncaster. With regards to self levelling I was thinking of the four feet/legs with round plates on bottom of each leg, they come down (not sure if hydrolic/air/electric powered) from bottom of van to stablise/level van when static on campsite or parked on uneven ground, take the place of ramps for levelling, I will do a bit more research. Thanks again
As far as I've seen the hydraulic system of auto levelling is intended for Motorhomes with a beam rear axle, Cali has independent wishbone style.
I would also doubt if there is room to install the rams under a Cali as they have clearance to go up for driving.

I sent this email to E&P Hydraulics UK Ltd:
"Do you have a system that would be suitable for a T6 VW California Ocean, if could you give me an idea of purchase/fitting"

They replied with:
"Yes, we do have a system which would be suitable, however ideally we would like to inspect the vehicle first so we can spec it out properly. As a ball park figure you’d be looking at between £5,000 - £5,500 including the 2 day installation and VAT.

Nearest fitter Doncaster, same people who fit air suspension. I've re emailed them to ask for more info. Unles they have got it wrong. If it is possible I will adk if they would do a deal if fitting air suspension at same time.

Hi did you get your Cali fitted at Doncaster and if so how much did it cost and was it worth it ?
I only ask as mine is arriving on Friday and I am considering fitting air suspension?

Thanks lee

Recently ordered MY19 Ocean 4Motion DSG most options available selected. Have emailed dealer to look in to "Full" Air Suspension + Self levellers (Approx £5000/£6000)

I love it when people just hurl a wad of cash at a problem. Good work. :cheers

Actually, we cancelled our Cali order and reordered the same vehicle/spec but with Heavy Duty Anti Roll Bars (only way we could add HDARB to order) to see if the opition meets our needs, if not we'll be looking at air suspension again

Actually, we cancelled our Cali order and reordered the same vehicle/spec but with Heavy Duty Anti Roll Bars (only way we could add HDARB to order) to see if the opition meets our needs, if not we'll be looking at air suspension again

Oh ok thanks for replying please keep us updated on how you go on

I have had my 4motion dsg 2014 Cali just recently converted to VB full air. I have been disappointed that the ride quality isn't better. It can be quite harsh on broken surfaces, and gives a heavy thud / crash and bounce on poorer changes of road surface. VB have commented that the shocks need to be bedded in before making a real assessment. So here goes ... hope things improve in the next couple of months!

I got nowhere with VB on the same issue. VB UK director didn't even have the courtesy to reply to my email other than saying that he was on holiday and would respond on his return--still waiting months later.

Strange that others have been so positive about the magic carpet ride quality

That was a major factor in my decision to have it.

How long have you had yours installed? Has there been any improvement as things have bedded in?

Just for your interest my installer (Leisuretech) spoke to the VB guru while I was there today. A Dutch guy called Martin. He requested that I get in touch again via the dealer if two months brings no improvement.

Mine too but I heard bad reports and didn't like the "you need an annual service".

I have a Discovery D3 on air and the ride is fantastic. If this can be achieved on the T5 / T6 I would do it tomorrow and pay lip service to the annual service requirement.

Strange you haven't seen an improvement. Ours is definitely better than on springs, it's never going to be a limo though as it's still van based.
What setting are you running it on and what size wheels and tyre profile?
You don't need it serviced every year either. Mick Leigthley who is VBs top UK dealer says lift it up as far as it will go and clean off the air units with a brush and washing up liquid in a bit of water. Basically just stop crap gathering on the units.

I dont find the ride and handling on my T6 4 motion too bad, occasional pot hole crash but thats about it. It does have the uprated arb,s which just seems how it should be to me with no apparent negatives.

The feedback on the VB system does seem very flaky at the moment so much so that I have shelved the idea for now at least.

Ending up with a ride no better than I already have for £5.5k wouldnt please me to say the least.

I spoke to the Doncaster installer who told me (late 2018) the kits were on hold whilst the "issues" reported were being reviewed and to call them again in early 2019.