Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All geared up: my all-seasons all-purpose T6 Ocean interior & organisation :

No need for anything more in my little auberge: candles, some wine, Satie, and Velcro. For my cigaret lighter reading spot that follows me to wherever I want to sit (post #118). Here sticking at my door handle sleeve (#293), now at the ceiling grip. Life can be so simple,...

View attachment 59564
Amazing view. How are you fixing the cables holding up the suspended table?

No need for anything more in my little auberge: candles, some wine, Satie, and Velcro. For my cigaret lighter reading spot that follows me to wherever I want to sit (post #118). Here sticking at my door handle sleeve (#293), now at the ceiling grip. Life can be so simple,...

View attachment 59564
That looks so comfy, Aubergine. I take it no kids or dogs? :)

Amazing view. How are you fixing the cables holding up the suspended table?
Thx EJ! For fixation see post #283. The ropes are useful to keep bulky things like winter coats, duvets or cushions on the shelf. Before I cut up my security net to make two ceiling storages out of it, I planned to hang it reverse:
IMG_E3648.jpg, but using the door table fitted better my multi-function credo, in this case picnic table, nightstand, trip planner, board game, bar counter.

That looks so comfy, Aubergine. I take it no kids or dogs? :)
And yes Elly, this one is just for the 55 year old kid! ;-)

Last edited:
Thx EJ! For fixation see post #283. The ropes are useful to keep bulky things like winter coats, duvets or cushions on the shelf. Before I cut up my security net to make two ceiling storages out of it, I planned to hang it reverse:
View attachment 62478, but using the door table fitted better my multi-function credo, in this case picnic table, nightstand, trip planner, bar counter.

And yes Elly, this one is just for the 55 year old kid! ;-)
Have a few years on you, but besides being a Cali owner still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up!

Thx! I'm an architect
It's very interesting that you are an architect, and you say elsewhere that you 'live in minimalism' normally. We are also architects, but we certainly don't live in minimalism at home. For that reason, we love the simplicity and smooth lines of the California, and don't want to add more than we have to; also very reluctant to make any non-reversible alterations. But I greatly admire all your inventive solutions - we are always looking for 'clever things' to do with the van, but they have to be reversible and of course super-useful.

It's very interesting that you are an architect, and you say elsewhere that you 'live in minimalism' normally. We are also architects, but we certainly don't live in minimalism at home. For that reason, we love the simplicity and smooth lines of the California, and don't want to add more than we have to; also very reluctant to make any non-reversible alterations. But I greatly admire all your inventive solutions - we are always looking for 'clever things' to do with the van, but they have to be reversible and of course super-useful.
Ah, semantics! ;-) I love the 'lines' of the Cali, by far above the 'chique' curvy ones of MP. That much that I can't see me selling the van, and so I'm not bothered with reversibility (even if it's just some small piercings). I just adapt it to my personal comfort needs. I needed a warmer surface for my elbow to rest at the fridge (who doesn't?), I needed more counter space while cooking, more shelves while using it as an office, ... And since all these scenario's (camping, working, lounging) are quite randomly and spontaneously happening in my case , I needed all the gear in triple use and compact stored. Hence the Swiss knife references.
Which I still prefer above the Leatherman's. But there we talk about 'lines' again.

Last edited:
Hey Gran, I suppose my organised van is a mental escape from the house where this kind of organisation discipline is not so easily maintained, while personally I don't see chaos liveable in these 5cube.
Like eg when organising to install the lower bed I have just these folding boxes to move from the back to the kitchen. Peace&Love in a second ! ;)
About the books: first you don't find all what you're looking for on digital, second when you do find it you need to look for a shaded place to read. But above all I simply like the good old concept of it, like reading paper newspapers :embarrased
View attachment 34314
Hey Aubergine, How did you make the table map?
Hey Gran, I suppose my organised van is a mental escape from the house where this kind of organisation discipline is not so easily maintained, while personally I don't see chaos liveable in these 5cube.
Like eg when organising to install the lower bed I have just these folding boxes to move from the back to the kitchen. Peace&Love in a second ! ;)
About the books: first you don't find all what you're looking for on digital, second when you do find it you need to look for a shaded place to read. But above all I simply like the good old concept of it, like reading paper newspapers :embarrased
View attachment 34314
View attachment 34314
How did you make the map? I was looking for a similar map at pixers but didn't find such a detailed map of Europe. I't seems very interesting to have this map while travelling in Europe. Have you made the map by yourself?

Hi Sapmi,
see my post #252 here above.
We sometimes use the picnic table (Belgium map) as board game, letting fate (insects, or spinning coins) decide on the directions or destinations. That was even before the 'Columbus' program on VRT ;-)

I made me a summary of all the extra tunings, DIY's, extra equipment,... that grew onto the Auberg-ine, after experiencing all kinds of settings (as mobile office, as camper,...) and weathers,... Might be useful for the so many new newbies around here, even if of course very personal and specific. What I still carry around now might be crazy for most people, but to me it's my favorite omni-toy. Fridge, water, gas, all permanently topped, ready to fly out at whatever spur of the moment!

(Edit: list gets updated after each new intervention along the thread; see post numbers #xx at right top corner of each box here).

View attachment 34189
Auberg-ine Front Part mods
  1. Jump leads + 20m Hook-up cable + air compressor + oil storage on top of main battery (post 89)
  2. DIY Ceiling storage made out of our famous safety net (for scarfs, hats, caps...)
  3. Storage of Reimo door top ventilation (double grille) in small net above roof shutter. edit: Net also holds picnic table/bar counter post #283 Edit: + sunscreen organizers (CD's, cards, glasses,...); see post 170.
  4. Hooks to fix Kelty Bestie Blanket (hung at shutter) at B-pillars in case of stealth camping. Edit: DIY stealth mesh hung at Ikea Sunnersta side rails (see post 149).
  5. Mobile ventilator hung in front of towel (no vibrations)
  6. Ikea colander/ herbs garden (can also be hung at glass cover above the sink) (post 23).
  7. DIY slide-in phone dock in cubby hole (no more cable fuzz to connect with CarNet)(post 48)
  8. VW coat hanger/ drying rack (passes Brandrup pockets); DIY neck-rest/duvet bags see post 156
  9. Warning triangle strapped in front of driver chair. Edit: see post 172
  10. Fire extinguisher strapped in front of passenger chair; see post 172
  11. Brandrup pockets for small stuff needed while driving, or items reachable from upper bed
  12. DIY cup&can holder, incl. small mod. to also hang it at sliding door (post 69)
  13. Fishing gear; fishing net/fruit basket in pocket of driver seat, fitting in seat/lid of Luggable Loo (see post 139)
  14. VW Campershop Multi-box /dustbin
  15. DIY storage for magnetic blinds
  16. Umbrella storage
  17. Sunware multibox/paper towel dispenser/tray (when lid reversed)
  18. DIY library (Sunware); under seat: NOCO Genius GB40 Jump booster, window defrost spray, first-aid kit, fluo jackets, magnetic defrost/sun protecting window cover, and the VW Bible; edit: + pressure sprayer for shower (besides library), see post 113
  19. Brandrup mosquito screen / boots storage post #282 / Photo Gallery post #290/
  20. Rotan container/Luggable-Loo. Serves as stool (I prefer not to rotate driver seat), footrest, container for roaming stuff (can be fixed at bench drawer, can also contain 2p sleeping bag), waste bin, ice bucket, fishing stool, loo. Bucket independently also for (dish-)washing, carrying water (see post 90)

View attachment 34190
Auberg-ine Middle Part mods
  1. Sliding Ikea stainless steel hooks (to hang wet coats off the bench/pockets) edit: now Ikea Sunnersta rail, (see post 138) edit: now also Reimo ventilation grid stored at ceiling (see post 100)
  2. DIY Ceiling storage made out of unused safety net (shirts&socks&slips pockets, …).
  3. 3 Plastic jars (medicine, cables, junk) fixed at ceiling. Ikea led light (post 64)
  4. DIY bronze color filter in front of existing white led lights (except for main central light); for lounging mode; edit: now Ikea Sunnersta rail with tablets, containers, hooks (see post 110)
  5. Sliding mosquito screen
  6. Wardrobe for costume, jogging outfit, raincoat, swimsuit, two stacked flat clothes bags, hammocks at the bottom.
  7. DIY vanity basket (made from Woolite box)
  8. DIY newspaper rack/ fly swatter/wine rack (see post 140)
  9. Exploration Pillar (magnifying glass, binoculars, harmonica)
  10. Brandrup mosquito screen
  11. DIY cow skin protection
  12. DIY table print (high definition European roadmap, for whiteboard markers; post 48)
  13. Coffee&tea, hot&cold drink glasses, compact cooking set, Ridge Monkey pans, (led-)candles, cookies& chocolates (permanently accessible, even when in bed position)
  14. Apero-snacks, cutlery,… , Ikea tray cutting board on top of cutlery drawer (permanently accessible)(post 48).
  15. Food&drinks provisions (not accessible when bed installed) Ikea Skubb zipper boxes
  16. Deep dishes (omni-functional), cans, pasta, … Ikea Kuggis boxes
  17. Maintenance&Hygiene, petanque sets, frisbees; Ikea Skubb
  18. Flexible ‘empty hole’ nowadays 'wine cellar'; Outwell 20l double function container/collapsible bowl see post 207
  19. Elastic (bike) fastener, holding loose items or container (reversed rotan stool) while driving; also used in footwell for drying boots #282.
  20. Dille&Kamille candle lampion for awning pegs/ slippers storage/permanently plugged i-phone/Ipad charger cables

View attachment 36744
Auberg-ine Rear Part mods
  1. Outwell Baffin stools/footrests/tables, installed in between the chairs, can together with the towel become Cali chair comfort headrests. (see post 48)
  2. DIY i-Pad holder against ceiling roof cabinet, to watch movie in bed. Cabinet=drawing/painting equipment (integrated DIY led reading light holder in grip. (See post 118)
  3. Foldable water container, funnel,… Ikea Skubb zipper box
  4. Board games box
  5. Reimo Airvent (sliding window) (edit: now hung on ceiling; see post 100)
  6. CO alarm
  7. Straps, velcro, rope, towing,… Ikea Skubb zipper box
  8. Collapsible shopping baskets, Ikea Skâdis magazines bag (can stay in place after turning bench to bed)
  9. Folding boxes (clothes, blankets…), fits kitchen counter when positioning bed
  10. Day-backpacks, flexible storage,...
  11. Cushions
  12. CareBags for Luggable-Loo, toolbox, camping accessories,...
  13. Awning floor/pick-nick mat,
  14. Outwell 2-persons sleeping bag/ blanket, accessible from inside. Rain coat&trousers
  15. Coconut-charcoal, large plastic foil
  16. Fiamma leveling ramps + tire grip mats.
  17. 10l spare diesel, BBQ, VW shower&toilet tailgate tent. Edit: post 97: sliding outdoors kitchen tablet under mattress.
  18. Large storage box with lid + inside second box with boots, jogging- and river shoes, mud scraper floormat…+ also for (dish-)washing, reversed serving as step. Large box serves also for indoors shower (see post 113). Outwell Baffin table tops / bbq ashtrays (reverse side covered with thick aluminum sheet)/outdoors bar table (post #291)
  19. Brandrup pocket with shower hose
  20. 2 Outwell folding relax chairs

Best post ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even while living a nice Indian Summer here these days, I already started preparing for winter. That period when you don't feel like hanging out the tailgate tent to shower :Nailbiting
And so my new rails and hooks, and storage box come in very handy again. The existing velcro loops and eyelets of the tent are just fitting to hang the whole thing on the rails and the grip of the roof cabinet.
I also bought a new pressure sprayer, which I can fill with hot water and use as a shower nozzle.
This way you can even take a shower in 'stealth' mode without having to raise the roof, so while sitting on the bench.
Afterwards I just need to simply push the whole thing back into the box, clip the lid back on, and done.
Oh, and yes, it's fitting for 2 persons.:talktothehand

View attachment 38088 View attachment 38089 View attachment 38090
View attachment 38238 View attachment 38237
I admire your thinking. But now you’re just trolling!

The storage of the sliding window security air vent kept disturbing me. It's a fragile thing, and I noticed that when you squeeze it by accident, or you put something on top, the curve of it (fitting the curve of the car) flattens, and so makes it more difficult to fit.
So I drilled 4 holes through the ceiling and fixed 2 elastics through them, starting from the hollow ceiling part.
No more rattling, no more special protection needed. And right at hand.

View attachment 37616 View attachment 37617
Edit: I attached 2 dismountable LED spots for extra working light above the table:
View attachment 59816 View attachment 59815
You are the Isambard Brunel of California's.

What toilet is that?

I made me a summary of all the extra tunings, DIY's, extra equipment,... that grew onto the Auberg-ine, after experiencing all kinds of settings (as mobile office, as camper,...) and weathers,... Might be useful for the so many new newbies around here, even if of course very personal and specific. What I still carry around now might be crazy for most people, but to me it's my favorite omni-toy. Fridge, water, gas, all permanently topped, ready to fly out at whatever spur of the moment!

(Edit: list gets updated after each new intervention along the thread; see post numbers #xx at right top corner of each box here).

View attachment 34189
Auberg-ine Front Part mods
  1. Jump leads + 20m Hook-up cable + air compressor + oil storage on top of main battery (post 89)
  2. DIY Ceiling storage made out of our famous safety net (for scarfs, hats, caps...)
  3. Storage of Reimo door top ventilation (double grille) in small net above roof shutter. edit: Net also holds picnic table/bar counter post #283 Edit: + sunscreen organizers (CD's, cards, glasses,...); see post 170.
  4. Hooks to fix Kelty Bestie Blanket (hung at shutter) at B-pillars in case of stealth camping. Edit: DIY stealth mesh hung at Ikea Sunnersta side rails (see post 149).
  5. Mobile ventilator hung in front of towel (no vibrations)
  6. Ikea colander/ herbs garden (can also be hung at glass cover above the sink) (post 23).
  7. DIY slide-in phone dock in cubby hole (no more cable fuzz to connect with CarNet)(post 48)
  8. VW coat hanger/ drying rack (passes Brandrup pockets); DIY neck-rest/duvet bags see post 156
  9. Warning triangle strapped in front of driver chair. Edit: see post 172
  10. Fire extinguisher strapped in front of passenger chair; see post 172
  11. Brandrup pockets for small stuff needed while driving, or items reachable from upper bed
  12. DIY cup&can holder, incl. small mod. to also hang it at sliding door (post 69)
  13. Fishing gear; fishing net/fruit basket in pocket of driver seat, fitting in seat/lid of Luggable Loo (see post 139)
  14. VW Campershop Multi-box /dustbin
  15. DIY storage for magnetic blinds
  16. Umbrella storage
  17. Sunware multibox/paper towel dispenser/tray (when lid reversed)
  18. DIY library (Sunware); under seat: NOCO Genius GB40 Jump booster, window defrost spray, first-aid kit, fluo jackets, magnetic defrost/sun protecting window cover, and the VW Bible; edit: + pressure sprayer for shower (besides library), see post 113
  19. Brandrup mosquito screen / boots storage post #282 / Photo Gallery post #290/
  20. Rotan container/Luggable-Loo. Serves as stool (I prefer not to rotate driver seat), footrest, container for roaming stuff (can be fixed at bench drawer, can also contain 2p sleeping bag), waste bin, ice bucket, fishing stool, loo. Bucket independently also for (dish-)washing, carrying water (see post 90)

View attachment 34190
Auberg-ine Middle Part mods
  1. Sliding Ikea stainless steel hooks (to hang wet coats off the bench/pockets) edit: now Ikea Sunnersta rail, (see post 138) edit: now also Reimo ventilation grid stored at ceiling (see post 100)
  2. DIY Ceiling storage made out of unused safety net (shirts&socks&slips pockets, …).
  3. 3 Plastic jars (medicine, cables, junk) fixed at ceiling. Ikea led light (post 64)
  4. DIY bronze color filter in front of existing white led lights (except for main central light); for lounging mode; edit: now Ikea Sunnersta rail with tablets, containers, hooks (see post 110)
  5. Sliding mosquito screen
  6. Wardrobe for costume, jogging outfit, raincoat, swimsuit, two stacked flat clothes bags, hammocks at the bottom.
  7. DIY vanity basket (made from Woolite box)
  8. DIY newspaper rack/ fly swatter/wine rack (see post 140)
  9. Exploration Pillar (magnifying glass, binoculars, harmonica)
  10. Brandrup mosquito screen
  11. DIY cow skin protection
  12. DIY table print (high definition European roadmap, for whiteboard markers; post 48)
  13. Coffee&tea, hot&cold drink glasses, compact cooking set, Ridge Monkey pans, (led-)candles, cookies& chocolates (permanently accessible, even when in bed position)
  14. Apero-snacks, cutlery,… , Ikea tray cutting board on top of cutlery drawer (permanently accessible)(post 48).
  15. Food&drinks provisions (not accessible when bed installed) Ikea Skubb zipper boxes
  16. Deep dishes (omni-functional), cans, pasta, … Ikea Kuggis boxes
  17. Maintenance&Hygiene, petanque sets, frisbees; Ikea Skubb
  18. Flexible ‘empty hole’ nowadays 'wine cellar'; Outwell 20l double function container/collapsible bowl see post 207
  19. Elastic (bike) fastener, holding loose items or container (reversed rotan stool) while driving; also used in footwell for drying boots #282.
  20. Dille&Kamille candle lampion for awning pegs/ slippers storage/permanently plugged i-phone/Ipad charger cables

View attachment 36744
Auberg-ine Rear Part mods
  1. Outwell Baffin stools/footrests/tables, installed in between the chairs, can together with the towel become Cali chair comfort headrests. (see post 48)
  2. DIY i-Pad holder against ceiling roof cabinet, to watch movie in bed. Cabinet=drawing/painting equipment (integrated DIY led reading light holder in grip. (See post 118)
  3. Foldable water container, funnel,… Ikea Skubb zipper box
  4. Board games box
  5. Reimo Airvent (sliding window) (edit: now hung on ceiling; see post 100)
  6. CO alarm
  7. Straps, velcro, rope, towing,… Ikea Skubb zipper box
  8. Collapsible shopping baskets, Ikea Skâdis magazines bag (can stay in place after turning bench to bed)
  9. Folding boxes (clothes, blankets…), fits kitchen counter when positioning bed
  10. Day-backpacks, flexible storage,...
  11. Cushions
  12. CareBags for Luggable-Loo, toolbox, camping accessories,...
  13. Awning floor/pick-nick mat,
  14. Outwell 2-persons sleeping bag/ blanket, accessible from inside. Rain coat&trousers
  15. Coconut-charcoal, large plastic foil
  16. Fiamma leveling ramps + tire grip mats.
  17. 10l spare diesel, BBQ, VW shower&toilet tailgate tent. Edit: post 97: sliding outdoors kitchen tablet under mattress.
  18. Large storage box with lid + inside second box with boots, jogging- and river shoes, mud scraper floormat…+ also for (dish-)washing, reversed serving as step. Large box serves also for indoors shower (see post 113). Outwell Baffin table tops / bbq ashtrays (reverse side covered with thick aluminum sheet)/outdoors bar table (post #291)
  19. Brandrup pocket with shower hose
  20. 2 Outwell folding relax chairs
Are you sure you are an architect Aubergine? I thought you might be The Doctor and changed your police phone box for a California :)
Great post and food for thought.

I've been called names before, but never Isambard or The Doctor.
Just Dottore is fine. Thx. ;-)
And my toilet is a 'Luggable-Loo' :

(edit: Oh I see, Doctor Who. :) )

Last edited:
Continuing my quest for more storage optimization and tenfold usage of gear, I combined my rotan container with the Luggable Loo bucket. This way it becomes a coffee table, a stool, a footrest, a storage for loose items (or the Outwell 2p sleeping bag), an ice bucket, a fishing stool, a waste bin, a loo (+ Care-Bags!), ... while the bucket can still be used independently for (dish-) washing, or carrying water. Just had to squeeze the handle of the LL a little bit.
So if somebody around here might need a completely new Thetford Porta-Potti with cabinet frame....?

View attachment 36736 View attachment 36739 View attachment 36738
View attachment 36741 View attachment 36742
Could you share a link to the rotan bucket?

Sorry, the only link I can give you is to my attic, and before that to a garden center.

Preparing for the season: found in Aldi's discount box: a solar ultrasonic repeller with different frequency positions, for mice till mammoths. Not audible, but since I don't see mammoths in the garden, must work perfectly!

IMG-3319.jpg. Positioned right behind my front wheels.

I've been looking previously for a more 'upscale' marten repeller system, to be installed under the hood, but while reading the technical descriptions and electric shock hazard risks I even got more repelled than those martens.
Let's see. Perhaps they already got scared enough just by the 'facial' expression of the thing o_O

Last edited:
Great post - This is the second week of having our Cali, and you have provided some good ideas!

Next item from the Aldi discount box: a cat hammock for 8€. In my series of hanging tables to be used as a side table for the least fortunate passenger, Mr. Right Bench (while cruising). Or for the Traveling Tomcat of course.

IMG-3401.jpg

IMG-3403.jpg
Just the right rope length for the rail hooks. And also just the right size for the Ikea tray (lid of Kuggis box, see post #48). (Little piece of security velcro at sliding door cfr #285).

Last edited:
Next item from the Aldi discount box: a cat hammock for 8€. In my series of hanging tables to be used as a side table for the least fortunate passenger, Mr. Right Bench (while cruising). Or for the Traveling Tomcat of course.

View attachment 70025

View attachment 70026
Just the right rope length for the rail hooks. And also just the right size for the Ikea tray (lid of Kuggis box, see post #48). (Little piece of security velcro at sliding door cfr #285).
Interesting, as always, AG. Could be used in other places too in/out the van and maybe in the garden too.
This could hang in the van from @Bigted ‘s 3d printed slot in hooks.

View attachment 70025

View attachment 70026
Anyone UK based know if our Aldi has these? I looked on the website but not on there.

Back