Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season and other tyres Tyre Test.

Agree, the spare to be treated as a get you home tyre.
I found this advice on the AA website, which to my mind is a bit contradictory as they say its not dangerous but will fail MOT.....

Directional tyres
Directional tyres usually have a chevron or arrow pattern in the tread and are designed to work in only one direction of rotation.
  • Directional tyres are better at dispersing water that builds up in front of the tyre.
  • They may also reduce road noise and improve directional stability.
Directional tyres must rotate in the right direction, clearly marked on the sidewall of the tyre.
If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain the benefits of its design.
Some high performance cars are fitted with tyres that are both directional and asymmetric. These must be fitted the right way round on the wheel and on the correct side of the vehicle.
MOT test
If asymmetric or directional tyres are fitted incorrectly – the wrong way round or rotating in the wrong direction – your car will fail its MOT.
Still a massive improvement compared to a skinny spare many cars carry.

Time to restart this thread....

After four years of running my van supplied summer tyres on its alloys and a set of winter tyres on steels, it’s time to change the summer tyres.

I used to live in the Yorkshire Dales so winter tyres were essential at times. Now we live in a town.

Thinking of switching to a set of all season and storing the winter tyres unless I go skiing which I probably won’t after Covid.

Any new all season tyres or reviews info would be appreciated.

After four years of running my van supplied summer tyres on its alloys and a set of winter tyres on steels, it’s time to change the summer tyres.

I used to live in the Yorkshire Dales so winter tyres were essential at times. Now we live in a town.

Thinking of switching to a set of all season and storing the winter tyres unless I go skiing which I probably won’t after Covid.

We have stuck with Nokia’s but gone over to their all season tyre and found them to be nearly as good in snow and winter temperatures.... tested repeatedly in French Alps over several seasons some with very deep snow and v low temperatures. We think of Nokians as a Winter tyre with summer use possible..... good fuel economy and certainly suit living in rural Scotland year round

Go skiing you know its great!
I have Goodyear Vectors, seem
Ok.

I have the CrossClimates.
Good in snow, not convinced in wet muddy fields...

Love to hear others thoughts.
Maybe the Nokians mentioned above are worth looking at...?

Btw, go skiing.
I might shoot over this December for a few days, camp in the van. It could be a quiet season ;)

Good afternoon,

I moved away from the Bridgestone Turanza to the Michelin CrossClimate. This was a huge improvement regards tracktion (front wheel spinning and a wee bit on wet grass or mud).

I believe I have to replace them next year. I am toying with the idea of the Michelin Latitude Cross. I would have prefered the BF Goodrich Urban Terrain, but it seems that I can't get them suitable for the California (tyre load).

I want to achieve that I have a decent tyre for on the road (obviously most of the time), a strong tyre for bad road (potholes, gravel which I come across on my travels through Ireland) and off road (well, I mean wed grass on the camping site or muddy verges on small roads, which it is possible to struggle a wee bit).

Happy California,
Eberhard

I see the Bridgestone all weather A005 is missing in the test and nobody has mentioned them. Anybody tried them?
I'm currently looking at all season for the car(van won't need tyres for a while yet) and torn between the Michelin and Bridgestone, there's quite a price difference too.

I’ve a set of the Bridgestone A005’s fitted, but not done a huge amount of mileage on them due to lockdown.
In the past I’ve had Cross Climates and we’re very impressed with them on an XC70.
My Cali has 18” wheels and the Cross Climates were not avail in the 255/45/18 so I went for the Bridgestone.

Ride and noise all fine, will be able to report back later in the year. (Pleased to have the Cali on all season tyres though.)

I am toying with the idea of the Michelin Latitude Cross
It's a very hard tyre. I fear you'd have a loss of comfort, but it has one particular fan who may be right. (vs a 100 for the cross climate SUV model).
Edit - maybe I was thinking it was the Agilis that was a hard tyre... Full van tyre... So many options!

Last edited:
Anyone had any negative experience of the Cross Climates in summer? We tend to go over to France and sometimes it’s well beyond 30’C.
I know the rubber compound on winter tyres is softer. Wasn’t sure if all season are more akin to summers compound but with a more aggressive tread pattern?

Running Nokian Weatherproof 235/55/17's. Sing a bit but not an issue. Have the standard ones and find the sidewall flexes, understeer if lower tyre pressures set, SUV version should be better with stiffer sidewall.
Just don't seem to wear regardless of air temperature. 1.5mm in about 8K miles.
Good in wet (thunderstorms) mud and wet grass, also in what little snow I've encountered. Tyre design, a 'V', tends to spray wet outwards giving a dirty van side, most all season designs are similar so that would be a common factor.

I found that they have a smaller circumference than summer tyres (lost about 1mph + 70)
Stood them next to summer tyres and you could see the difference, my spare all season Vredestien is the same as the Nokian, not got to the bottom of the reason. Asked Nokian who gave a stock answer about complying with EU regs.

Next I'll fit SUV version of 235/60/17's, Nokian H rated or Michelin Crossclimate - both 106 load rated.

There is the option of the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate in that size as a Commercial van tyre with 117 load rating but very pricey.

Back