Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Am I mad

I have never, in six years, used the awning.

Am I mad to remove it?

Will, in your opinion, spoil the aesthetics of the van?

Answers on a postcard please ... or even here.
I say keep it.
When I have stayed at sites that let me park the van and Eriba where I like I have put out the van awing such that it forms a link to the Eriba. Used my awing for picnics as well. Only last week was useful to give shade for a picnic in a sunny car park. Also useful if you only wind it out less than 12ins( no need for legs) and it stoops rain getting in side door.

I would keep it as you may find it useful one day and the drag and extra fuel is not likely to be great compared towing the Eriba. I did look at the possibility of getting a fitting for the Eriba so I could move it onto that on sites where parking the van was the other side of the caravan. Not possible as the Eriba fitting worked with a different awing and although the same manufacture not compatible.

I have just thought will the paint on the van not under the awning have faded so if you remove the awing will it look odd.

SMG did it for me whilst I was having a few other bits done. I could not really use it with the Eriba as we have an awning for the caravan. I have never used it, over 500 nights away, and all it ever did was rattle so time to say goodbye. I will hang on to it so it can be refitted when I sell on.

SMG did it for me whilst I was having a few other bits done. I could not really use it with the Eriba as we have an awning for the caravan. I have never used it, over 500 nights away, and all it ever did was rattle so time to say goodbye. I will hang on to it so it can be refitted when I sell on.
You realise you’ll get no waves now!

I've already had three waves from Caravelle taxi drivers o_O
That was for you, not for the stealthed California.

Oh, I still know a California when I see one, with or without bike rack, with or without awning.

We always remove ours for the winter.
The only time we have used it is to provide a small area over the edge of our base seconds pop up when it’s raining . So we can step into the pop up without getting wet.
Think we leave it off permanently . Make a terrible rattle even though we have tried all the solutions on the forum.
Will put back if sell next spring/summer. Good thinking GrannyJen

That was for you, not for the stealthed California.

Oh, I still know a California when I see one, with or without bike rack, with or without awning.
Just my point, of course you do. You have one. Most people don’t.

Now,

I might just have had a tail wind...

Or more downhill than up....

but driving to SMG today ( 20 miles) 32.5 mpg

Driving back, without awning, 38.5 mpg

I don't think you would be mad if you took it off because then you would look like an MPV :cool:

Am I mad to remove it?

To my mind it looks better without, and if you don’t use it take it off until you sell the van.
I go to hot places so it’s very useful for me.CB59DBD9-7876-419D-B689-0CA2A54D7C17.jpeg

I've already had three waves from Caravelle taxi drivers o_O
I was waved at 30mins ago by a California and not sure I would have recognised it without the awing, till it went passed me and I read California on the back. I was parked. Could not tell if it was a Ocean or a beach and did not recognise nationally of number plate but a nice friendly wave.

I am very good at clocking the roof and the sliding door to identify the vehicle but the look on the drivers face speaks volumes

Am I mad to remove it?

If you don't use it, lose it. But it is very handy when it is raining. Just wind it out halfway and you step out onto dry ground and you can leave the door open if it is warm but raining..

Am I mad to remove it?

Noooo! Sod's Law the moment you take it off, you'll need it. Costs nothing to feed; leave it.

Back