Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Am I mad

God reading all these post's here I'm obviously in a minority, we have one either side as we use ours awnings all the time not both of them unless we are stopping for a bit longer somewhere and need shelter or shade, When in Europe and its hot the dogs have shade all the time, But I guess if you don't use it, then taking it off will improve fuel economy, We only use ours Cali for road trip holidays, not everyday use. IMG_2732.JPG

If you don't use it, lose it. But it is very handy when it is raining. Just wind it out halfway and you step out onto dry ground and you can leave the door open if it is warm but raining..

I always have that "Can't be bothered" feeling every time I think about it. Most times, get out, aid it out, faff around, go back in, get out occasionally to go to the loo, go to sleep, wind it back in the morning. Just doesn't seem an effort worth bothering with.

If you look very closely, the middle of the awning stays a couple of cm's under the top of the roof in the middle.
It is designed to keep the van under 2 meters (1,999) at all time.

You're mad … not using it. Sorry couldn't help it :veryfunny

If you look very closely, the middle of the awning stays a couple of cm's under the top of the roof in the middle.
That’s very interesting. Whenever I’ve checked the specs said 2.1
well you learn something new every day! I’d always been under the impression (believed Vw dealer) who told me that the awning made it 2.1 and never questioned it. Been avoiding 2 metre car parks for 8 years now so not sure if I will be able to take a deep breath and go for it!!? Thanks for the info

well you learn something new every day! I’d always been under the impression (believed Vw dealer) who told me that the awning made it 2.1 and never questioned it. Been avoiding 2 metre car parks for 8 years now so not sure if I will be able to take a deep breath and go for it!!? Thanks for the info
Dealers are famous for getting so much wrong, if in doubt raise the question on here, preferably before you buy/order.

I have limbo'd under many 2m height barriers :D If it's a regular Awning then you are around 1.98m tyres fully inflated.

I have limbo'd under many 2m height barriers :D If it's a regular Awning then you are around 1.98m tyres fully inflated.
At your age? My deepest respect for that. :thumb

But we were talking about the California ;)

We removed it 1st year of use. Totally regret buying it and consider the most useless option for us.
We carry a big light tarp that can give even more shade and no worries with high winds braking it.

Obviously each to their own. 6A5F8DB1-F4DD-4853-BC62-8AB0AED6BB2D.jpegC1639B9A-1C18-44EA-A109-A656B2B84F75.jpegWe use it consistently combined with Brandrup side and front awnings. Great for all weathers, offers shelter from sun, rain and wind, as well as privacy. Also useful as others have noted, wound out half a metre to keep side door area dry. Middle portion definitely lower than roof so within the 1.9m dimensions.

I have never, in six years, used the awning.

Am I mad to remove it?

Will, in your opinion, spoil the aesthetics of the van?

Answers on a postcard please ... or even here.
Your choice. If you don't use it remove it. We use ours a lot, camping in the UK it rains quite a lot and it comes in very handy as a sort of porch. You can still sit with the door open even if it rains.

I think that the awning on the right hand side helps to differentiate fellow California'ns when out driving. Is the most recognisable bit on a Cali.

Having said that we have probably only used the wind out awning around 10 times....and half of those was to show others how things worked!

If you remove it then you need to find somewhere to store it....and it's not the smallest thing.

Our house when we bought it came with a roof.. Never used it once in 21 years..can’t be bothered with all the messing about.

Rather an old thread resurrected.

I took my awning off. Never missed it. Stored it in my garage.

6 weeks ago I had it put back on. My Cali may soon not be mine, or all mine, so I wanted it back on.

I have been on the road now for nearly 5 weeks. The rattle has driven me nuts but due to future plans, which change daily, and which could soon see my son worrying about it, I can't be arsed.

We removed it 1st year of use. Totally regret buying it and consider the most useless option for us.
We carry a big light tarp that can give even more shade and no worries with high winds braking it.
Same here. I think the awning detracts from the clean looks of the Cali. I think the same of the bike rack but I use it too much to take it off.

Rather an old thread resurrected.

I took my awning off. Never missed it. Stored it in my garage.

6 weeks ago I had it put back on. My Cali may soon not be mine, or all mine, so I wanted it back on.

I have been on the road now for nearly 5 weeks. The rattle has driven me nuts but due to future plans, which change daily, and which could soon see my son worrying about it, I can't be arsed.
It shouldn’t rattle, if it does something isn’t right but a very simple fix.

Obviously each to their own. View attachment 52038View attachment 52039We use it consistently combined with Brandrup side and front awnings. Great for all weathers, offers shelter from sun, rain and wind, as well as privacy. Also useful as others have noted, wound out half a metre to keep side door area dry. Middle portion definitely lower than roof so within the 1.9m dimensions.
Shelter from the sun ? I note that your sitting outside it to be in the sun. Privacy? I'm nosey, l like to see what's going on, and engage poor passerbys in conversation, and also enjoy any view. Shelter from wind and rain, good points, perhaps I will keep an awning.

Back