Lowest temperature January 2024

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Anybody have the lowest temperature in their California last night ?
Drop them in here, or if you prefer
Answers on a postcard. ;)
IMG_0445.jpeg

I don’t know what the lowest was, but it was a fresh -7.5 at 6am when I left for work.

Not the best start to a morning, the parking heater didn’t fire up for some reason & half my heated screen isn’t working due to the huge cracks in it.

I don’t know what the lowest was, but it was a fresh -7.5 at 6am when I left for work.

Not the best start to a morning, the parking heater didn’t fire up for some reason & half my heated screen isn’t working due to the huge cracks in it.
Probably diesel sludge (gelling) due to low temp , should work ok once it warms up , give it a try on the way home

Last edited:
I asked AI:

In sub-freezing temperatures, diesel fuel can undergo several changes that can affect its performance. One of the main issues is the formation of paraffin wax crystals, which can give the fuel a hazy appearance and eventually clog fuel filters, blocking the flow of fuel to the engine
. This phenomenon, known as gelling, can cause the diesel to become non-combustible and can plug filters
. The temperature at which diesel starts to gel is typically around 15ºF or -9.5ºC
Another issue is the presence of water in diesel fuel. Water is almost always present in diesel fuel to some degree and can freeze in cold temperatures. Frozen water can clog fuel lines and fuel filters, starving the engine of fuel
The exact freezing point of diesel fuel can vary widely due to the different hydrocarbons it contains. The temperature at which diesel freezes solid in lines is called its pour point
. However, the pour point is usually lower than the temperature at which gelling issues begin to occur
To prevent these issues, it's recommended to use fuel additives that can lower the freezing point of diesel fuel and remove water from the fuel system
. Switching to a winter blend diesel fuel when temperatures start to drop can also help prevent cold weather diesel problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To prevent diesel fuel from freezing in cold weather, several measures can be taken:
Use Fuel Additives: Fuel additives can lower the freezing point of diesel fuel and remove water from the fuel system. Products like Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Winter Anti-Gel and Lucas Anti-Gel Cold Weather Diesel Treatment are designed to prevent cold filter plugging in diesel fuels and effectively remove moisture from the entire fuel system
Switch to Winter Blend Diesel Fuel: Winter blend diesel fuel is enhanced to prevent it from gelling in cold weather conditions. It is recommended to switch to a winter blend when average overnight temperatures for the location are below or near 24 degrees F
Keep Fuel Tanks Full: Keeping the fuel tank as full as possible can help prevent condensation from forming and freezing
Insulate Fuel Lines: Insulating fuel lines can help prevent fuel from cooling down too quickly as it travels from the fuel tank to the engine
Use Emergency Diesel Additives: If you find yourself with already gelled or frozen fuel, emergency diesel additives like Fuel Ox Heat Bomb can thaw and restore gelled or frozen fuel
Remember, the exact freezing point of diesel fuel can vary widely due to the different hydrocarbons it contains. Therefore, these preventive measures should be taken as soon as temperatures approach freezing

I liked your post, but don’t like the situation!
Bummer man.
Maybe try it through the console with heat continuously on number 6 for a bit.
Mine worked, it’s now a comfy 10 degrees in here. After an hour of heat immediately from the hotel room
But I got my yeti mug out the passenger side for a Starbucks and the passenger door handle is stuck open. Inside.
So had to hold door shut and turn the key in the lock, otherwise the passenger door would be swinging open whilst driving round roundabouts !!
Another item to add to the list for swansway

I asked AI:

In sub-freezing temperatures, diesel fuel can undergo several changes that can affect its performance. One of the main issues is the formation of paraffin wax crystals, which can give the fuel a hazy appearance and eventually clog fuel filters, blocking the flow of fuel to the engine
. This phenomenon, known as gelling, can cause the diesel to become non-combustible and can plug filters
. The temperature at which diesel starts to gel is typically around 15ºF or -9.5ºC
Another issue is the presence of water in diesel fuel. Water is almost always present in diesel fuel to some degree and can freeze in cold temperatures. Frozen water can clog fuel lines and fuel filters, starving the engine of fuel
The exact freezing point of diesel fuel can vary widely due to the different hydrocarbons it contains. The temperature at which diesel freezes solid in lines is called its pour point
. However, the pour point is usually lower than the temperature at which gelling issues begin to occur
To prevent these issues, it's recommended to use fuel additives that can lower the freezing point of diesel fuel and remove water from the fuel system
. Switching to a winter blend diesel fuel when temperatures start to drop can also help prevent cold weather diesel problems

Interesting. I have a full tank of the premium diesel as I do this every 3 months.
Is the premium have a lower freeze delta ?

Interesting. I have a full tank of the premium diesel as I do this every 3 months.
Is the premium have a lower freeze delta ?

Premium should have higher cetanes due to the additional cleaning additives they use. But can’t be sure. That’s why I use my own additives in Winter.

Probably diesel sludge (gelling) due to low temp , should work ok once it warms up , give it a try on the way home
More likely to be me pressing the off button than the on one whilst half asleep.
It’s worked fine every other day this week.

What devices / app are you using to record these temperatures.

I’m using Ruuvi Tags connected to a Victron CerboGX on my side.
5cf71acfca839f41607ef3ed67b346e8.png

47de2ecabe510b119b5e7aab7c1220e1.png

c8efce9cd357524d3bba9799c9309663.png

Something seems to have gone with my previous attempt to post!!

I spent Tuesday night above Delph on Saddleworth Moor in the van. Temp was below -7deg. Setting 3 on diesel heater kept me very comfortable

Minus 4.5C this morning here in Derbyshire. A nice icicle dropping from the tap, all frozen up, no water flow - as I‘d forgotten / was too busy to / was too lazy to empty the water system after being away last weekend ! Thawed out the van using the diesel heater, opening the cupboard doors, and then emptied the system !

I'm curious......what is a California Switchbot? ...... do I need one? I might be suffering from a lttle FOMO here........
SwitchBot WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer 3 Pack with Hub Mini, IP65 Indoor Outdoor Thermometer Wireless, Humidity/Temperature/Dewpoint/VPD/Absolute Humidity Sensor with Smart Alerts, Works with Alexa https://amzn.eu/d/4HVRFg9

Nearly 25 degrees!
Toasty!
Bet you’re sat in your shorts :Grin

I work in my van 4 days a week.

“Work” whilst sat in your shorts :thumb
Fair play. It’s a dream of mine.

All you need is a wood fired foldable hot tub.
Imagine that, sat by the side of the mountain in a hot tub. Nice and toasty.
Need to put this in the Swamper thread

Cold today! Looks like the cold snap from the UK has hit Switzerland now.

78f03515082c0dacdd02f3c355e4fc32.png

All my tanks are empty of course. Nice having the alarms enabled with push notifications.

Yep, been cold the last week with wind chill down to -12
But a barmy 3 today and a high tomorrow of 13 !

Back