Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

An Ocean disguised as a Coast

Elfie

Elfie

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello all,

We are going to look at a 4 year old Cali on Saturday, it seems to be a good price and has loads of extras on. It is advertised as an Ocean and all chat with the dealer has been about an Ocean, however after looking closely at the pictures, it has ‘Coast’ written on the side of it. Knowing that Coasts haven’t been sold in the UK until just now, I assumed it must be an import from Ireland but the dealer says it is an Ocean that has been in the UK since registration and he has all paperwork that supports this. He says it just got badged wrongly in Germany. It does look like an Ocean in that it has a heater and body coloured mirrors (my husband forgot to ask about electric roof)... So my question is, would you buy an Ocean that said Coast on it? It doesn’t really make any difference to us but if we did ever want to sell, would it be problematic? It seems weird to me that the VW Germans would make this mistake! Also the dealer didn’t mention it on the phone until we rang back and questioned. Am I overthinking this???

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

We are going to look at a 4 year old Cali on Saturday, it seems to be a good price and has loads of extras on. It is advertised as an Ocean and all chat with the dealer has been about an Ocean, however after looking closely at the pictures, it has ‘Coast’ written on the side of it. Knowing that Coasts haven’t been sold in the UK until just now, I assumed it must be an import from Ireland but the dealer says it is an Ocean that has been in the UK since registration and he has all paperwork that supports this. He says it just got badged wrongly in Germany. It does look like an Ocean in that it has a heater and body coloured mirrors (my husband forgot to ask about electric roof)... So my question is, would you buy an Ocean that said Coast on it? It doesn’t really make any difference to us but if we did ever want to sell, would it be problematic? It seems weird to me that the VW Germans would make this mistake! Also the dealer didn’t mention it on the phone until we rang back and questioned. Am I overthinking this???

Thanks in advance.
Is that a VW Dealership?

I suppose it could happen. It’s not a big job to remove and replace those stickers once you have confirmed it’s the top draw model :thumb

You are not over thinking it. I’d be very wary of it unless the story can be fully explained and justified. It’s not as if there’s no alternatives about, so why saddle yourself with an oddball ?
It will be more difficult to explain the anomaly as the years progress. Future buyers will suspect major paint / body damage.
Perhaps the log book gives some clues?
It wouldn’t be the first time that the wrong photos got added to a listing either.

It would be easily changed by the dealer which if a deal-breaker I thought they would do. If you are not 100% sure being new to the California just check it is a T6 Ocean and not a late T5 not badged to look like a T6 by last owner

I’d also check out the dealer in the dealer review section on here...
I checked your profile to make sure you don’t live anywhere near Aberdeen... as would have advised running a mile...

I think the Coast has different fabric trim too....and perhaps the non ‘comfort’ dash.

Good afternoon,

Well, I believe it is highly unlikely that VW labeled the vehicle wrongly ( :) ). As you mentioned the best scenario is that the van is an import from Ireland. If this is the case there shouldn't be any problems with lights, indicators etc. If it is from a different country with steering wheel on the right, there might be issues.

To a high degree a California Coast can be upgraded to an Ocean. Before we bought our van I did some configurations / calculations. The result was it isn't worth it. A Coast with all the upgrades to bring the configuration near to an Ocean is very high. It is not worth it, it is better to purchase an Ocean.

If the van you mentioned is a genuine Ocean and, as the VW deal claimed, wrongly labeled why has he not corrected the issue? It sounds to me it is a Coast with the specification upgrade close to an Ocean - but it is at the end of the day not an Ocean. So, if the new owner of the van decided to change the label, than he/she will take the responsibility.

It is a strange situation. I wish you the best of luck with the investigation and negotiation with the VW dealer. The only thing what I would do is to ensure that the VW dealer changes the signs, not me. If the dealer proofs, or believes, it is an Ocean he should change the sign as long as the van is his property. If you decide to buy it and sell it in 10 years :))) nobody can make you responsible for a potential wrongly labeled vehicle.

Regards,
Eberhard

Thanks all for your replies. I have now checked the number plate with the DVLA and that comes back as just VW California, however when I put it into an insurance quote website, it does indeed say ‘ocean’. All paperwork that the VW dealer has sent also says Ocean. There is also a front window in the pop up. If we buy it (it is a really high spec’d, low mileage van), I will insist on the dealer having the external sticker changed. I find it weird that the previous owner/dealer haven’t done this before, I can’t be the only one to think it strange...

Just check the roof - if electric its an ocean, if manual its a coast. Its the main easily identified difference that cant be added as an option on a Coast.

Thanks all for your replies. I have now checked the number plate with the DVLA and that comes back as just VW California, however when I put it into an insurance quote website, it does indeed say ‘ocean’. All paperwork that the VW dealer has sent also says Ocean. There is also a front window in the pop up. If we buy it (it is a really high spec’d, low mileage van), I will insist on the dealer having the external sticker changed. I find it weird that the previous owner/dealer haven’t done this before, I can’t be the only one to think it strange...
Most dealers/Sales don't seem to bother doing much in the way of preparation apart from cleaning. It's not until you highlight a fault they say, that will be sorted before you buy.

They probably used some wrong photos. But I wouldn't buy it if not as resale will be painful

If you want our help, stick some photos of the fabric and dash on here. We'll soon tell you! Wheels too perhaps.

What does the V5 state as the vehicle description ?

I just had a look for that Cali on the Vw used site.
It does look like an Ocean, beware tho on the packs list it has :-
  • Premium front seat pack - California
  • Comfort seats + lumbar support + armrest
I think this may be comfort seats with height adjustment without swivel seats ????
Make sure you check this out and search

Last edited:
Back