Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

An Ocean disguised as a Coast

Ask the selling dealer to send you a copy of a 'Car Data Print' for the chassis number of the vehicle. That should give you a full specification of the vehicle as it was manufactured. If the dealer won't do it for you then ask for the VIN and go to another dealer's parts department and ask for the same print out.
Failing all of that ask the selling dealer for a photo of the sticker in the service book that lists all the PR codes including the chassis number. You can then decode all these codes here http://prsearch.planetvag.com/
That way you should be able to see exactly what you are buying.

if you have the chassis number pm it to me i will check for you

It’s a collectors item as a misbuild isn’t it? Coasts have black door handles and it looks like an Ocean to me.

Looking at the ad it has an electric roof, they don't look like LED headlights despite the advert saying they are (the spec list on the VW used website is rarely correct) and it states swivel seats but I would check.
Everything about it looks like an Ocean, but if you have any doubts walk away, there are plenty about to pick from.
It's 4 years old and done 10000 miles which some may find appealing but to me it's spent a lot of time standing still not being used.

The only real way is to check the chassis number to see what it was built as

There’s a few good ones in the for sale section, including one for 75k....every possible option. What a bus. Top drawer.

There’s a few good ones in the for sale section, including one for 75k....every possible option. What a bus. Top drawer.
£75K, bet the dealer was laughing when they sold this one!

Ocean = Kitchen,sink,cooker,fridge,wardrobe,electric roof, ect.
Coast= without the above !
simple !!
For me, im not keen on those 'cheep' stickers on the side of the California and if I did change for one in the future would most probably have them removed !

Ocean = Kitchen,sink,cooker,fridge,wardrobe,electric roof, ect.
Coast= without the above !
simple !!
For me, im not keen on those 'cheep' stickers on the side of the California and if I did change for one in the future would most probably have them removed !
You're on about a Beach not a Coast

You're on about a Beach not a Coast
Thanks for the confusion, was using an old PFD brochure for T6 and the zoom in is not clear on spec, but can see now for example that there is not a electric pop up on coast or front roof window open ! would make me consider if i change.

Hi EchoRomeo.
I than van in Leeds? DC66XRR? I so then it was mine. - recently part exd for a newer Ocean. I can give any info you want on the van.

Would be great if you could clear up the reasons why the decals say COAST rather than OCEAN, as a coast wasn't available here, so is causing some interest?

Thanks!

I originally bought this van (presuming it's my ex) from Liverpool Van centre. One year old one and supplied by VW Liverpool new to the previous, first owner.
I queried the Coast stickers and was told that it was delivered from the factory, badged in error as a COAST but built to Ocean spec.
VW Liverpool had replacement OCEAN stickers and offered to change them. I quite liked the unique COAST badging so kept the van as originally supplied, (can't speak for the original owners reason for keeping). It certainly opened up a few conversations with fellow Cali. owners whilst out and about.

I originally bought this van (presuming it's my ex) from Liverpool Van centre.

Just goes to show the power of the forum. Wait long enough and someone can fill you in on anything ( and in the meantime you can watch as a game of Cali Cluedo unfolds as everyone pitches in with their opinions/experience and in some cases wild guesses:) )

My Cali was another from another batch of misbuilds (delivered with no DAB ) made to a German spec as opposed to with the fabled German precision and perfection. Must have been a Freitag afternoon.....

I originally bought this van (presuming it's my ex) from Liverpool Van centre. One year old one and supplied by VW Liverpool new to the previous, first owner.
I queried the Coast stickers and was told that it was delivered from the factory, badged in error as a COAST but built to Ocean spec.
VW Liverpool had replacement OCEAN stickers and offered to change them. I quite liked the unique COAST badging so kept the van as originally supplied, (can't speak for the original owners reason for keeping). It certainly opened up a few conversations with fellow Cali. owners whilst out and about.
Hi Pete and thanks for clearing it all up. It was indeed your van that we went to see today and it was utterly gorgeous, we loved it. The only thing is it didn’t have the one thing we were definite on (and was listed on the ad as having) and that was LED headlights. If it had them, we’d have bought it there and then. But I didn’t want to do that without checking back in here... I’m realising that I can’t do much without checking in with the experts on here first :) I haven’t driven one without LED lights at night and so felt unable to make a decision without some research. Have you got LEDs on your new Ocean?

Thank you all for all your help and advice on this, I can’t tell you how helpful you and this forum generally have been.

The only thing is it didn’t have the one thing we were definite on (and was listed on the ad as having) and that was LED headlights. If it had them, we’d have bought it there and then. But I didn’t want to do that without checking back in here.

If the price is right and everything else works for you how much of a deal breaker is LED?

My T5 didn't have them, I'm pretty sure my Beach with a ton of upgrades including the lighting pack hasn't got them. Most of us dont drive in poorly light country lanes at night that much. If I did I might have a different view.

I'd be telling the dealer " I love the vehicle, I came to see it as it was advertised as having Led, negotiate with me on price"

Its January, used camper sales are at their slowest at this time of year but will soon get going as Spring comes along. You could always upgrade the lights later if it really warranted it. ( I'd wager you'll save the cash and use it on a ferry ticket instead).

Hi Pete and thanks for clearing it all up. It was indeed your van that we went to see today and it was utterly gorgeous, we loved it. The only thing is it didn’t have the one thing we were definite on (and was listed on the ad as having) and that was LED headlights. If it had them, we’d have bought it there and then. But I didn’t want to do that without checking back in here... I’m realising that I can’t do much without checking in with the experts on here first :) I haven’t driven one without LED lights at night and so felt unable to make a decision without some research. Have you got LEDs on your new Ocean?

Thank you all for all your help and advice on this, I can’t tell you how helpful you and this forum generally have been.
Hazy Dayz can fit Genuine VW LED headlights for about £3500 or so,
To be honest I find the normal H7 headlights perfectly adequate.
If the vehicle was advertised with LED headlights and does not have them then negotiate for a substantial discount all else being equal.

My t5.1 didn’t have them, the T6 that replaced it does. LED’s are better, but in normal road conditions both are fine. For a short time I had both Cali’s and created this comparison video so you can see the difference.

Standard/LED light comparison

If you like everything else on the vehicle and don’t live out in the back of beyond, then LED‘s are a nice to have. That said, only you will know if you’d forever have buyers regret if you bought one without LED’s. Your money, your choice.

I've recently sold a 2015 SE with average headlights and purchased a T6 with LED's. They are obviously so much better. The Cali is my only vehicle so I am very happy to have LED's as it is driven everyday to work and back, this time of year in the dark on minor routes that are poorly lit. If I was just using it as a leisure vehicle I would probably care a little less about LED's.
As I mentioned in a previous post, there are a lot of used Cali's around with varying spec, if this particular "COACEAN" ;) ticks all the boxes except LED lights just consider your typical usage to see if it's a deal breaker.

I would also quiz the service history and factor in, if not done, the fact it is due (by age) a cambelt. Certainly something else to negotiate on.

Good luck!

Glad the info regarding the van history was useful.
No, my new Cali hasn't got LED lights. For me, buying a used van, LED lights were a "nice to have" rather than a "must have". I agree with Mr T regarding lighting, I'm in the leisure vehicle usage category and for me the standard lights were/are fine.
Incidentally, regarding the cambelt. One of the things that the dealer said to me during the inevitable valuation/ trade in negotiations was that they (VW Leeds) would have to put a new cam belt on before they sold it. in order to comply with the Das Welt Auto used warranty. Wonder if they did?

Good luck with your musings!!

Back