Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another steel wheel thread

paradise city

paradise city

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi, after a bit of a hair raising experience driving on snow recently I'm thinking of getting a set of steel wheels with winter tyres.

I have a T6 Ocean 150 4 Motion with 17inch wheels.
Can I fit 16 inch steels or do I need to stick to the original 17 inch diameter?
I think I read somewhere on here that the wheels have to be a certain size to accommodate the brake calipers but I can't find that post again!

16 inch wheels seem to be much easier to come by on the second hand market and the tyres are a bit cheaper too.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Cheers. Just had a look at the spare, it's a 17 inch like the one in the photo.
b384a9b32ecaa0d74f0485e29856d20e.jpg

Stick with 17" then i would they look much better anyway

yes, I hit this problem a little while ago with my 2017 Ocean. The front brakes are upgraded, so the 16in steel wheels did not fit. I bought a set of 17in instead which are perfect.

I'm using Goodyear Ultragrip S&M tyres which make so much difference. Although they are slightly noisier.

ED4F67C9-7FE5-456D-8D6E-6904ED5673B7.jpeg Hi I have a set of 17’s they need either respraying or powder coating but you can have them for £50 I’m just not sure of the shipping cost from the uk to Ireland.

View attachment 41304 Hi I have a set of 17’s they need either respraying or powder coating but you can have them for £50 I’m just not sure of the shipping cost from the uk to Ireland.
Sent you a pm vw guru.

I have a set of steels that have M&S cargo vectors on them. I put them on from about November until the weather becomes warmer in March. I've now had them about 3 years and there is rust appearing on them. Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to protect them or is this just what steel wheels do?
steel wheel.jpg

Check out City Powder Coaters in Birmingham. They charge £30 per corner for powder coating on steel wheels plus an extra £5 per corner to remove and refit tyres. Loads of colours to choose from. See their website.

Powder coating on alloys is only £20 per corner.

They do a same day service for a little extra but means that you can drive up to Birmingham, potter around shops etc, and collect at the end of day.

I've used them a few times now, and can vouch for the service. In fact I will be taking my 17" steel wheels along to them in a week or so.

Tip: for steels, they cannot shot blast the join between the inner and outer wheel sections, so clean up and apply a coating of Cure Rust or similar to this join area, before you take to be powder coated.

I have a set of steels that have M&S cargo vectors on them. I put them on from about November until the weather becomes warmer in March. I've now had them about 3 years and there is rust appearing on them. Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to protect them or is this just what steel wheels do?
View attachment 42902

Wow , if they look like that afther three winters must be the salt from the road ?

Wow is right. It looks like sidepods spare wheel :talktothehand maybe not quite :D

Rub them down Simon and use silver Hammerite spray. They come up a treat and you don't need to take the tyres off to do a reasonable job.

Do you think you had some from a bad batch. I have two sets of these and one set on my work van for past 4 years and no signs of rust

Post/carriage costs.
I recently tried to send some tyres by Courier and they all now seem to require that each one is boxed individually, same for wheels. This makes it very expensive for 4 boxes. Used to be able to just wrap them.

There are Independent Couriers who will transport unwrapped wheels but I couldn't locate one.

View attachment 42902

These rims were treated with some wax, didn't they?

My spare steel wheel had no sign of any rust protection when I took it of after 18 months and was showing quite a bit of rust developing. Doubt if many give that one a second thought as to cleaning and waxing.

My spare steel wheel had no sign of any rust protection when I took it of after 18 months and was showing quite a bit of rust developing. Doubt if many give that one a second thought as to cleaning and waxing.
Did mine last year. Power wash, wire brush and 2 coats Hammerite.