Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anti-roll bars... A valuable extra?!

Kano

Kano

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
As the post suggest - Anyone with experience of these?

Option 2MF. Lo cost. Hi value. A good handling improvement. Less body roll in corners with no increase in stiffness.:thumb

That's a YES!!! Cheers for that..

Thanks side pod. Could you suggest any other extras...?

Yes definately worth the relatively small outlay. The rear gives most of the benefit and can fitted very simply on a diy basis should you feel inclined. These are an optional extra on a German bought Cali and come standard on the special edition 60 yr anniversary T5 so no warranty concerns. Here's a quick cut and paste from when I fitted mine a while back...

Regarding the uprated rear ARB I think this is well worth the money for the improvement to the body roll with no detrimental effects to the ride. The VW part no. Is 7E5511407A (was 7H5511407C) and comes with all the required bushes.
It's held on with 4 bolts (2 of them are torx). Just keep the rear axle level when fitting it, very straightforward though I can't speak for the 4wd. (From memory I'm pretty sure they go straight onto the 4motions as well). Recall fitting it without any jacking up hence wheels still on, about 30mins including the first time faff. The diameter of the the arb is upped from 24mm to 28mm and is noticeably heavier. You can get it a little cheaper from TPS if you have one near you else it's your VW dealer at £112.

Attached some old/new comparative pics...

Good luck.

Whilst not completely on topic, does anyone know what option 1D1 includes?

In the brochure it says :

Towbar; fixed (incl. trailer stabilisation)

I've ordered it because I wanted a tow bar. Do you think this might include the uprated anti roll bar too?

The diameter of the the arb is upped from 24mm to 28mm and is noticeably heavier.
It's amazing you can notice the difference. 4mm isn't much at all.

I wonder why they don't just make them all 28mm if there is such a benefit and install them like that from factory. Seems like a right faff to manufacture and keep track of who's got what installed.

The difference in manufacturing costs must be significant or else why would they do it? Very odd indeed.

Thanks for the post though. :thumb

Agreed, given the weight of the Cali, uprated ARBs should be standard front and rear. The cynic in me suggests just maybe it makes more financial sense to put it on the optional 'extras' list! But then odd why it's not offered on the UK spec List.

As far as the 1D1 option, I don't see you'll get uprated ARBs with that. The stabilisation part is to do with the ESC (electronic stabilisation control). It detects if the trailer is starting to yaw and brakes the relevant wheels dynamically and in phase with the yawing to counteract the snaking motion and bring it all under control. Very clever stuff and much more useful than an uprated ARB when it all goes pear shaped!

EDIT! As far as I'm aware the trailer prep factory option does not include uprated anti roll bars 2MF If you have them you can feel it!
My last Cali didn't have them but my new one had the Tour Pack which includes this and it definitely gives the van a different feel, a lot tighter feeling, in fact when the van was brand new I felt it was too tight to start with but after 5K either it given a bit and smoothed out or I have got used to it. Both vans had sportline springs too.
I have a factory towbar and properly towed some decent weight for the first time recently and it was awesome. All this stuff I hear from 4motion owners saying there van feel more planted and I'm intrigued as I couldn't see how it could feel anymore planted other then the extra fuel and a little tug when you get when you pull away I would never have know I was towing anything.
I would recommend them

Last edited:
I'll stand corrected then! Certainly adds value to the 1D1 option.

Only other reason you may have the uprated ARBs is because you ordered the sport chassis pack as a factory order, that being 1BV, see below. If you had sportline springs added retrospectively then the ARBs must be part of towbar pack.

Sports chassis pack wasn't an option for the Cali. The Sportline springs where fitted by the dealer before collection

As far as I'm aware the trailer prep factory option does include uprated anti roll bars 2MF and you can feel it!
Even better then. It would make sense for it to. Thanks both. :thumb

Actually just going over my old paper work and I think I need to correct myself and edited the post above sorry!
It was the Tour pack that included the 2MF which was an option I took on my new Cali.
So it probably isn't included with just the towbar prep :sad

Tour pack, SE – includes magnetic flashlight, awning in Black, comfort mattress, heavy-duty stabilisers and towbar preparation

I think they took the packs away from the T6 (at the moment) so if you can select the heavy duty stabilisers I would

Last edited:
Back