Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is the heavy duty anti-roll bars about?

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I have come along heavy duty anti-roll bars a few times here, but I can still not really undertand what it is? What does it actually do?

It is not an option in DK as far as I can tell from the list.

They are for people that require a 3 tonne camper van to go around bends like a sports car:headbang

But still would like som more detail. Someone have it – befor and after experiences?

Kmann - I have be wondering the same. Couldn't translate to Danish.

Maybe its option 2MF in the new updated pricelist: "Forstærkede stabilsatorer for og bag". Just checked again. Not an option I have seen before. But maybe I overlooked it?

Cant figure out if it worth the money. I think the van tend to roll quite much in small roundabouts, and narrow corners, but again, its not a race car.

Hi Kmann, apologies if this is too simplistic an explanation but you did ask!

The anti-roll bar is simply a bar that links the 2 wheels across the same axle (so one bar at the front linking the 2 front wheels and another for the rear wheels).
Its purpose is to help keep both wheels in the same vertical alignment. I.e if you go round a bend then the van weight will load the 'outside' suspension so will compress this more than the 'inside'. Because the anit-roll bar is linked across the axle then it tries to even out this suspension travel across both sides and hence reduce the body roll.
It is simply a metal bar and other than aiding with the body roll it does NOT effect the suspension spring rate, damping or ride height. A heavy duty ARB is just a slightly thicker (so stronger) bar so will resist the deformation a little more and hence give less roll.

In my opinion it should be standard as it improves the handling/safety of the Cali with no detriment to the ride 'comfort'.

It definitely DOES make a noticeable difference, though the rear upgrade has more benefit than the front. The rear is also much less work to fit so if you were retrofitting I would start wih the rear as this gives the majority of the gain.
The T5 and T6 has the same suspension design so it can be retrofitted to either on a easy DIY basis.

For what it's worth here is a copy of a posting I did sometime ago regarding retrofitting the rear...

Regarding the uprated rear ARB i think this is well worth the money for the improvement to the body roll with no detrimental effects to the ride (will do nothing for the sag, your Pedder's springs will sort that out). The VW part no. Is 7E5511407A (was 7H5511407C) and comes with all the required bushes.
It's held on with 4 bolts (2 of them are torx). Just keep the rear axle level when fitting it, very straightforward though I can't speak for the 4wd. (From memory I'm pretty sure they go straight onto the 4motions as well). Recall fitting it without any jacking up and wheels still on, about 30mins including the first time faff. The diameter of the the arb is upped from 24mm to 28mm and is noticeably heavier. You can get it a little cheaper from TPS if you have one near you else it's your VW dealer at £112.

Attached some old/new comparative pics...

Good luck,
Cheers, Will.

I had a test without the heavy duty bars and for me there was a bit to much bodyroll. i ordered mine with the heavy duty bars, once i have it i will give you a report on how she is behaving.

Arh så må det være forstærkede krægnings stabilisatorer?
Ikke at jeg ved hvad det er men synes at have hørt det før.
Sorry for the Danish.
I have not thought of it as a big problem in my old T5 California. But thought you just put lower springs on to get a more firm car....

Arh så må det være forstærkede krægnings stabilisatorer?
Ikke at jeg ved hvad det er men synes at have hørt det før.
Sorry for the Danish.
I have not thought of it as a big problem in my old T5 California. But thought you just put lower springs on to get a more firm car....

Lowering it won't necessarily make it roll much less. All it does is lower the centre of gravity of the vehicle which will make a slight difference. It depends on the spring rate, stiiffer springs will give less roll but make a harsher ride. Best bet is the uprated anti roll bars as already mentioned.

Hi Kmann, Sorry if this post is too late to be of help!
I borrowed a T6 204 DSG (not 4motion) with standard anti-roll bars. I found it leaned quite a bit on windy corners in the Lake district and seemed to struggle a bit on getting good traction, at a safe and reasonable speed of course!

Since been driving our 204 DSG 4motion with the heavy duty anti roll bars and it is far more stable in the corners with less feeling of the vehicle leaning over. Traction is better but this is likely due to the 4motion.

Went for the heavy duty anti-roll option out of safety interests, I'm a cautious driver and like to have every option available that aids in my safe arrival!

Hi Kmann, apologies if this is too simplistic an explanation but you did ask!

The anti-roll bar is simply a bar that links the 2 wheels across the same axle (so one bar at the front linking the 2 front wheels and another for the rear wheels).
Its purpose is to help keep both wheels in the same vertical alignment. I.e if you go round a bend then the van weight will load the 'outside' suspension so will compress this more than the 'inside'. Because the anit-roll bar is linked across the axle then it tries to even out this suspension travel across both sides and hence reduce the body roll.
It is simply a metal bar and other than aiding with the body roll it does NOT effect the suspension spring rate, damping or ride height. A heavy duty ARB is just a slightly thicker (so stronger) bar so will resist the deformation a little more and hence give less roll.

In my opinion it should be standard as it improves the handling/safety of the Cali with no detriment to the ride 'comfort'.

It definitely DOES make a noticeable difference, though the rear upgrade has more benefit than the front. The rear is also much less work to fit so if you were retrofitting I would start wih the rear as this gives the majority of the gain.
The T5 and T6 has the same suspension design so it can be retrofitted to either on a easy DIY basis.

For what it's worth here is a copy of a posting I did sometime ago regarding retrofitting the rear...

Regarding the uprated rear ARB i think this is well worth the money for the improvement to the body roll with no detrimental effects to the ride (will do nothing for the sag, your Pedder's springs will sort that out). The VW part no. Is 7E5511407A (was 7H5511407C) and comes with all the required bushes.
It's held on with 4 bolts (2 of them are torx). Just keep the rear axle level when fitting it, very straightforward though I can't speak for the 4wd. (From memory I'm pretty sure they go straight onto the 4motions as well). Recall fitting it without any jacking up and wheels still on, about 30mins including the first time faff. The diameter of the the arb is upped from 24mm to 28mm and is noticeably heavier. You can get it a little cheaper from TPS if you have one near you else it's your VW dealer at £112.

Attached some old/new comparative pics...

Good luck,
Cheers, Will.

Slight difference of opinion on effects of an anti-roll bar.

When one wheel of an axle hits a bump the bar will try to raise the opposite wheel, the spring on that side will resist and feed back through the bar to the wheel that has hit a bump. result being that there is an effective increase in spring rate. This wouldn't be a problem using a VW part as the designers will have allowed for any changes and ensured that it remains within safe handling characteristics.

Off road vehicles remove anti-roll bars to gain more independent suspension travel.