Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

Anti roll bars

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Darrel Crilley, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Wesel

Wesel

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Coast 150 4Motion
    Year:
    I have the standard bars, but the moment I feel the weakness of these is not often when cornering, but often in side wind, and when overtaking trucks on the highway.
    If one day I buy another California it will be with HD ARB.

2. alistairogrady

alistairogrady

Vehicle:
    T5 HighTop
    Hi,

Interested to hear what you did with the front springs, were they changed to T32 also?

I have a LWB PVC, weight about 2850kgs , I could do with something on the suspension, either HD ARB, or up rated springs etc, or both, it’s really too soft, it’s fairly well loaded, before I add food, clothing etc, I think HD ARB would certainly improve the cornering if nothing else...

Alistair

3. Bobbybus

Bobbybus Learning how to be a hedonist... VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    I have been contemplating fitting H&R hd ARB for some time. By the sound of the above, most people enjoy the benefits of the VW version. Does anybody know the differences between H&R and the VW version in terms of stiffness or front to rear balances? I have had no luck with stockists of the H&R.

4. Trebor

Trebor No looking back . VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Hi Alistair Haven’t done anything with front yet . Think I’m going to fit BfGoodrich Ko2 first but may upgrade front suspension to Bilstein but think I read T32 front doesn’t fit a California .

• Clever Stuff Clever Stuff x 1
  5. alistairogrady

alistairogrady

Vehicle:
    T5 HighTop
    Hi,

Yes, I think you're correct about the front, I think it's different somewhere
    I already have the BF Goodrich All Terrain K02 on my van, on stock steelies. 235/70/16

Alistair[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

• I Like That! I Like That! x 3
  6. jcshnz

jcshnz

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    A stiffer ARB does not increase the spring rate, rather it decreases the side to side weight transfer. Too much ARB can give a vehicle's occupants a sideways nodding-dog syndrome. We have a 4 motion so it has the HD as STD. The van handles pretty darn well I reckon. Certainly medium 'spirited driving' around NZ windy roads is on the cards. Obviously there is some extra weight on a 4 motion but I'd 100% be speccing them on a 2 wheel version based on my experience with ours.

7. Wesel

Wesel

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Coast 150 4Motion
    Year:
    Are you really sure you have HD ARB ? I also have a 4motion and the bars are standard. Moreover, in the VW car configurator, a supplement is required to have HD.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  8. Legin

Legin VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I have just bought a 4motion 199 and the HD rollbars are listed as an option on the factory specification sheet ref 2MF so i cant see how its standard on a new 4 motion. I requested these and had to pay for the option

9. SusiBus

SusiBus 2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike Moderator VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Yes agree, on the configurator an option, also had to pay for them on our 4Mo.

10. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    @jcshnz has a 2011 T5 according to one of his other posts. On my 2014 T5.1 4Motion the HD rollbars were standard.
    It seems that with a new model, virtually everything is Optional and each year more and more of these Options become standard.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  11. Sandyvan

Sandyvan VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Had too Calis now a T5.1 and a 6 both lowered on VW -30mm HD springs, great ride no problems and on standard ARBs.

12. SusiBus

SusiBus 2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike Moderator VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Sitting in SMG Tonbridge waiting for SusiBus to have a replacement fridge lid, never closed from new! so taken the opportunity to query whether HD's are an option or not.

They were an option on T5.1 and T6 but have been removed as an option as and from 1 November 2018.
    I asked why, and the reason given was that periodically VW UK rationalises the options offered and if not many orders are placed it is deleted. Funny l thought they seemed quite popular option.

They can be orded as a dealer after fit as the parts should still be availible.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Legin

Legin VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Although the increased roll stiffness usually comes from riding on the bumpstops (when lowered) as you corner or do you put it down to the spring rate. Maybe a bit of both ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. B J G

B J G VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Going down by only 30mm wouldn't cause the bump stops to come into play unless the Cali was overloaded. The -30mm springs have a higher spring rate which reduces the van drop with load meaning that there is no more increased risk of going down to the bump stops on lowered springs than the standard ones.

-50mm would be a different case.

15. B J G

B J G VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Stiffer ARB will transfer the deflection of a right hand spring to the left hand spring which is effect an increase in spring rate. Basic law of physics applies. Right wheel goes up arb tries to lift the left wheel etc. etc.

16. jcshnz

jcshnz

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Correct, I didn't explain what I meant very well.

17. B J G

B J G VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I had H&R ARB's fitted on my DSG 4Motion and I now have no roll problems or worries, especially on roundabouts.

18. jcshnz

jcshnz

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    IVe just measured the diamètre at 28mm. Would anyone care to chip in with their own ?

19. Trebor

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:

Heavy duty ARB were standard on 4 motion in 2015 . Maybe Vw can’t afford them now but they put them on then for a reason then . I think the term is dumbing down .

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  20. Trebor

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Looks like Vw dropped heavy duty ARB on t6 4 motion . I wonder why ?