Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anti roll bars

Hi Darrel,
My apologies for tagging on to your post with my query, but it seems to be a good place to ask.
I have been looking into maybe fitting the ARBs retrospectively.

With just me generally using the camper and not really loading up I find the standard bars give a comfortable and more than adequate drive.
However on the very rare occasion when I have been loaded up with passengers and luggage etc I have noticed a fair bit of sway, roundabouts etc.

Could somebody advise me if there are any negatives to fitting ARBs. ie. the ride goes harsher or not so nice to drive.

Thank you.

A stiffer ARB does not increase the spring rate, rather it decreases the side to side weight transfer. Too much ARB can give a vehicle's occupants a sideways nodding-dog syndrome. We have a 4 motion so it has the HD as STD. The van handles pretty darn well I reckon. Certainly medium 'spirited driving' around NZ windy roads is on the cards. Obviously there is some extra weight on a 4 motion but I'd 100% be speccing them on a 2 wheel version based on my experience with ours.

A stiffer ARB does not increase the spring rate, rather it decreases the side to side weight transfer. Too much ARB can give a vehicle's occupants a sideways nodding-dog syndrome. We have a 4 motion so it has the HD as STD. The van handles pretty darn well I reckon. Certainly medium 'spirited driving' around NZ windy roads is on the cards. Obviously there is some extra weight on a 4 motion but I'd 100% be speccing them on a 2 wheel version based on my experience with ours.
Are you really sure you have HD ARB ? I also have a 4motion and the bars are standard. Moreover, in the VW car configurator, a supplement is required to have HD.

Are you really sure you have HD ARB ? I also have a 4motion and the bars are standard. Moreover, in the VW car configurator, a supplement is required to have HD.
I have just bought a 4motion 199 and the HD rollbars are listed as an option on the factory specification sheet ref 2MF so i cant see how its standard on a new 4 motion. I requested these and had to pay for the option

Yes agree, on the configurator an option, also had to pay for them on our 4Mo.

I have just bought a 4motion 199 and the HD rollbars are listed as an option on the factory specification sheet ref 2MF so i cant see how its standard on a new 4 motion. I requested these and had to pay for the option
Yes agree, on the configurator an option, also had to pay for them on our 4Mo.
@jcshnz has a 2011 T5 according to one of his other posts. On my 2014 T5.1 4Motion the HD rollbars were standard.
It seems that with a new model, virtually everything is Optional and each year more and more of these Options become standard.

Had too Calis now a T5.1 and a 6 both lowered on VW -30mm HD springs, great ride no problems and on standard ARBs.

Sitting in SMG Tonbridge waiting for SusiBus to have a replacement fridge lid, never closed from new! so taken the opportunity to query whether HD's are an option or not.

They were an option on T5.1 and T6 but have been removed as an option as and from 1 November 2018.
I asked why, and the reason given was that periodically VW UK rationalises the options offered and if not many orders are placed it is deleted. Funny l thought they seemed quite popular option.

They can be orded as a dealer after fit as the parts should still be availible.

Had too Calis now a T5.1 and a 6 both lowered on VW -30mm HD springs, great ride no problems and on standard ARBs.

Although the increased roll stiffness usually comes from riding on the bumpstops (when lowered) as you corner or do you put it down to the spring rate. Maybe a bit of both ?

Although the increased roll stiffness usually comes from riding on the bumpstops (when lowered) as you corner or do you put it down to the spring rate. Maybe a bit of both ?
Going down by only 30mm wouldn't cause the bump stops to come into play unless the Cali was overloaded. The -30mm springs have a higher spring rate which reduces the van drop with load meaning that there is no more increased risk of going down to the bump stops on lowered springs than the standard ones.

-50mm would be a different case.

Stiffer ARB will transfer the deflection of a right hand spring to the left hand spring which is effect an increase in spring rate. Basic law of physics applies. Right wheel goes up arb tries to lift the left wheel etc. etc.

Stiffer ARB will transfer the deflection of a right hand spring to the left hand spring which is effect an increase in spring rate. Basic law of physics applies. Right wheel goes up arb tries to lift the left wheel etc. etc.

Correct, I didn't explain what I meant very well.

I had H&R ARB's fitted on my DSG 4Motion and I now have no roll problems or worries, especially on roundabouts.

Heavy duty ARB’s standard on 4 motion .

Heavy duty ARB were standard on 4 motion in 2015 . Maybe Vw can’t afford them now but they put them on then for a reason then . I think the term is dumbing down .

Last edited:

Looks like Vw dropped heavy duty ARB on t6 4 motion . I wonder why ?

I have been contemplating fitting H&R hd ARB for some time. By the sound of the above, most people enjoy the benefits of the VW version. Does anybody know the differences between H&R and the VW version in terms of stiffness or front to rear balances? I have had no luck with stockists of the H&R.
Hi Bobbybus, got my H&Rs from Tuner Shop Germany. they are on line, good service. Don't fit VW you will all ways wish you fitted H&R
20160901_150233.jpg 20160901_150348.jpg 20160901_150308.jpg 20170403_153500.jpg

Another one here with the H&R bars fitted to our 2010 T5.1. Springs and dampers still standard but has made a huge difference on roundabouts and corners

Back