Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anti roll bars

D

Darrel Crilley

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi
I am searching for a used Unicorn California - a 204/DSG/ 4 motion with locking diff and LEDs.

If I understand some of the posts the standard California has no anti- roll bars as part of its suspension set up. I find that astonishing. I am going to merge my 4 motion Caravelle and 56 plate Viano Marco Polo into one California. Both these have anti roll. I had thought that since the California is alleged to be based on the Caravelle chassis - not a panel van set up- anti roll would be a standard feature.

Do I now have to add this to my unicorn as a further feature I am unlikely to find in the used market ?

Cannot imagine that driving will be much fun without AR once it is laden with bikes and my teenagers.

Any clarification most gratefully received.

I may just have to bite the bullet, pay over 10 years and up the budget for a new model.

Hi
I am searching for a used Unicorn California - a 204/DSG/ 4 motion with locking diff and LEDs.

If I understand some of the posts the standard California has no anti- roll bars as part of its suspension set up. I find that astonishing. I am going to merge my 4 motion Caravelle and 56 plate Viano Marco Polo into one California. Both these have anti roll. I had thought that since the California is alleged to be based on the Caravelle chassis - not a panel van set up- anti roll would be a standard feature.

Do I now have to add this to my unicorn as a further feature I am unlikely to find in the used market ?

Cannot imagine that driving will be much fun without AR once it is laden with bikes and my teenagers.

I may just have to bite the bullet, pay over 10 years and up the budget for a new model.
They all have anti roll bars some specify heavy duty versions but most are happy with standard.

Yep, all have anti-roll bars.
We have a T6 Ocean 4 Mo 205 with factory fitted heavy-duty roll bars, and find them very satisfactory. I would definitely spec them on any future vehicle. Of course it is a very easy aftermarket fit.

The heavy duty anti roll bars do reduce the rolling in corners some people experience. No regrets specing them on ours.

Can't get my head round why, on a 60k..ish vehicle, heavy duty bars wouldn't be standard if they improved the ride. VW can't make much out of what is a ( comparatively) cheap option. No regrets not speccing them on mine.

Dealer actually talked me out of ordering them on my first van. Pretty much said don't waste your money, which is 180 out to what I would expect a salesman to say with £££ signs being offered up. Read into that what you will. Mind you, he also said 'beige' would be a good colour choice. Fortunately saw through that one .

I hired a Cali and borrowed two demonstrators that did not have the HD ARBs. When I finally picked up my own Cali I actually still had the demonstrator. I drove to the dealership in the demo non HD ARBs and drove back in mine that did. There is aa definit difference. HD ARBs make the vehicle feel more planted, especially around roundabouts. No regrets about speccing them.

I ordered a new California yesterday and heavy duty anti roll bars were not on the options list.

Nope. You have to specifically ask the dealership to add them. It's not on the online configurator. Apparently I was the first person to ever ask at my dealer.

427B9268-0E40-49D0-950E-09C27D869472.jpeg
Hi

4 motion has heavy duty anti roll bars standard ( or did ). I had t 32 rear springs fitted by main dealer ( they have lots of take offs for lowering ) and it transformed the handling especially around roundabouts . I also fitted Bilstein B 6 shock absorbers later but main improvement was t 32 springs . Different van now . Photo also shows heavy duty anti roll bar .

Last edited:
We bought our Cali with standard suspension og we got seasick every trip from swaying left to right. After a while we changed the suspension to the optional heavy duty and it made a huge difference.
In my opinion the heavy duty should be standard - but then again VW can`t sell it as extra

Hi Darrel,
My apologies for tagging on to your post with my query, but it seems to be a good place to ask.
I have been looking into maybe fitting the ARBs retrospectively.

With just me generally using the camper and not really loading up I find the standard bars give a comfortable and more than adequate drive.
However on the very rare occasion when I have been loaded up with passengers and luggage etc I have noticed a fair bit of sway, roundabouts etc.

Could somebody advise me if there are any negatives to fitting ARBs. ie. the ride goes harsher or not so nice to drive.

Thank you.

I have a 4motion Cali with the stiffer anti-roll bar I believe. I’m quite happy with the all round handling.

Stiffening the anti-roll bar will improve the roll characteristics in corners but in effect reduces the ‘indepence’ of the suspension. That means ‘isolated’ bumps encountered when both cornering, or travelling strait, will be transmitted to the opposite wheel more effectively. This will be detrimental to the handling characteristics. If there was no downside to large anti-roll bars manufacturers would simply fit the stiffest they could afford.

So in a nutshell, stiffening a roll bar is beneficial for cornering but at the expense of handlening a bump that only one side of the vehicle encounters. As ever in engineering there is no free ride. Anti-roll bar stiffeness therefore is personal To every driver and their own driving style.

I have a 4motion Cali with the stiffer anti-roll bar I believe. I’m quite happy with the all round handling.

Stiffening the anti-roll bar will improve the roll characteristics in corners but in effect reduces the ‘indepence’ of the suspension. That means ‘isolated’ bumps encountered when both cornering, or travelling strait, will be transmitted to the opposite wheel more effectively. This will be detrimental to the handling characteristics. If there was no downside to large anti-roll bars manufacturers would simply fit the stiffest they could afford.

So in a nutshell, stiffening a roll bar is beneficial for cornering but at the expense of handlening a bump that only one side of the vehicle encounters. As ever in engineering there is no free ride. Anti-roll bar stiffeness therefore is personal To every driver and their own driving style.

Thank you...
Very informative and helpful.

Thanks for all the advice, it's made me realise I'm better off fitting lowered springs again rather than trying heavier anti roll bars.

Lowering does the same, feels more planted and reduces car sickness in some, Fortunately I did spec beige twice and would again on a future Cali.

Both vans sold very quickly even in Beige ;)

I have the standard bars, but the moment I feel the weakness of these is not often when cornering, but often in side wind, and when overtaking trucks on the highway.
If one day I buy another California it will be with HD ARB.

4 motion has heavy duty roll bars standard ( or did ). I had t 32 rear springs fitted by main dealer ( they have lots of take offs for lowering ) and it transformed the handling especially around roundabouts . I also fitted Bilstein B 6 shock absorbers later but main improvement was t 32 springs . Diffent van now .

Hi,

Interested to hear what you did with the front springs, were they changed to T32 also?

I have a LWB PVC, weight about 2850kgs , I could do with something on the suspension, either HD ARB, or up rated springs etc, or both, it’s really too soft, it’s fairly well loaded, before I add food, clothing etc, I think HD ARB would certainly improve the cornering if nothing else...

Alistair

I have been contemplating fitting H&R hd ARB for some time. By the sound of the above, most people enjoy the benefits of the VW version. Does anybody know the differences between H&R and the VW version in terms of stiffness or front to rear balances? I have had no luck with stockists of the H&R.

Hi,

Interested to hear what you did with the front springs, were they changed to T32 also?

I have a LWB PVC, weight about 2850kgs , I could do with something on the suspension, either HD ARB, or up rated springs etc, or both, it’s really too soft, it’s fairly well loaded, before I add food, clothing etc, I think HD ARB would certainly improve the cornering if nothing else...

Alistair

Hi Alistair Haven’t done anything with front yet . Think I’m going to fit BfGoodrich Ko2 first but may upgrade front suspension to Bilstein but think I read T32 front doesn’t fit a California .

Hi Alistair Haven’t done anything with front yet . Think I’m going to fit BfGoodrich Ko2 first but may upgrade front suspension to Bilstein but think I read T32 front doesn’t fit a California .
Hi,

Yes, I think you're correct about the front, I think it's different somewhere
I already have the BF Goodrich All Terrain K02 on my van, on stock steelies. 235/70/16

Alistair
c917f784c26d6a56491e2c2413a090ef.jpg
440d4d160c322dbad6c8d58296a84ecd.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Back