Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone else still touring in November?

M

muttley

Guest User
It was a struggle to find a campsite which is still open at this time of year, but we finally managed to locate a CL in Dorset for the weekend, which is close enough to Durdle Door and the tank museum in Bovington (for the kids of course)! Is anyone else still braving the elements at this time of year?

Simon

muttley said:
It was a struggle to find a campsite which is still open at this time of year, but we finally managed to locate a CL in Dorset for the weekend, which is close enough to Durdle Door and the tank museum in Bovington (for the kids of course)! Is anyone else still braving the elements at this time of year?

Simon

Although not planning anything for the next 4 weeks we regularly go up the west coast during winter: Glencoe is 2 hours away and Sky 4. Sometimes wild camping, sometimes using sites that are shut or reduced in facilities and sometimes the odd 'open all year' site.

We try to get a good gastropub within walking distance - Ben Nevis Inn for example, 3 Chimneys (not really a gastro pub I guess ;-), Sligachan. If we're only away for 2-3 nights we put hill-walking gear in a big black poly bag when it gets wet and use reserves for the next day. We don't have a kids problem any more, they're mid to top 30s.

We use Scrabble and a good malt when the weather is desperate.
Not uncommon, thankfully :)

We camp all year as and when we are able. We've just booked for the xmas holidays and it took ages to find a site that was open or that wasn't already full. Winter camping seems to be getting more and more popular.

On the subject of Glencoe in the winter and the trip to Skye, how often is the road blocked by snow and not passable? Assume ranoch moor is the worst. Not that I am close (Cambridgeshire) but am planning a trip this winter. Like a bit of snow on the mountains but don't want to get stuck!
Thanks

beardie said:
On the subject of Glencoe in the winter and the trip to Skye, how often is the road blocked by snow and not passable? Assume ranoch moor is the worst. Not that I am close (Cambridgeshire) but am planning a trip this winter. Like a bit of snow on the mountains but don't want to get stuck!
Thanks

Our experience is that the middle third of the Fort William Skye road is the worst for snow when there is snow on the west coast. On the occasions when we've found it almost impossible, Rannoch Moor and Glencoe were drivable with care. Our 4Motion can trudge through most though (if the snow gates are open) although the difficulty is coming across other cars that are stuck. You can't push them off the road and it's almost impossible to drive round stuck cars on highland roads.
The Skye roads don't get much snow but they ice easily. Fortunately they seem to be gritted well - even the backroads. The Glasgow sooth sayers predict a snowy winter this year ... at least in the pub I frequent.

Thanks, don't have 4motion so need to be a bit more careful! I do like the idea of a large attachment to push other cars out of the way though.
Was thinking of late Feb after which most of the worst of the Scottish winter should have passed (or is that wishful thinking)?

Camping near Exeter tonight as my daughter has a music course all day on Sunday.

Yep, we were on the North Somerset coast last weekend, planning to be in the Dartmouth area next weekend. We are going to be somewhere over the Xmas break but not sure where yet.

We aim to get full use from our expensive toy!

Off to London on Thursday for 9 nights to catch the 2 Rolling Stones concerts at the O2, bus will become my mobile office during my stay!
:bananadance :bananadance

Just back from weekend at Blair Atholl for the Scottish meet! There was five Cali's - three from Scotland and two intrepid vans from south of the border! Nice to meet everyone and although it was old - down to about -5C - new Cali Topper helped and the Silverscreen stopped condensation! :cool: I would have no qualms about heading off in the winter - just be prepared! As to the roads - they're not very often closed in the west or north - ones you hear about on traffic news - Cockbridge to Tomintoul are in the north east on the Aberdeen side.

Just back from nearly a week in Langdale at the National Trust campsite, only a few others camping - a mobile home for one night and two tents for a few days. Weather pretty dreadful but it didn't keep us off the tops, thank heaven for the drying room though! Two good pubs in walking distance, Stickebarn and The Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, and we were warm and cosy with the heater and our new Khyam Camper Cozi top.

Hit a roadworks sign which scratched the bumper slightly, and while parked in Ambleside on the way home someone slightly dented and scratched the back onside wheel arch. The joys of driving in the Lake District, still pretty crowded in November.

We did two nights at the Masons Arms in Lower Odcombe (Yeovil) the week before last then two nights last week at Langstone Manor just outside Tavistock, the second night we were the only people on the site (other than the owners) - both great sites with nice, shiny new facilities.

Langstone Manor is now shut until March but the Masons Arms is open all year!

They were our first 2 trips away in our Cali and we loved it - so the warmer weather should be even better! :D

Ian

Back