Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Safety recall on Gas system bolts - anyone?

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I received a letter from VW today regarding the Gas system bolting.
Its a safety recall based on the tightness of the bolts.

When my Cali arrived 1 year ago, I had to put everything onto the rubber hose myself which I understand is unusual.
So I tightened everything from there to the bottle and did a soapy water and sniff test. Has anyone else who had this letter understood whether its just that end or are there more bolted joints through out en route to the burners?

Of course I haven't smelled Gas nor is the bottle appearing to run out prematurely so I'm probably OK and will still take it to a dealer but curious to understand the extent of the bolting issue up front.

Thanks

This is very strange as vw are not qualified to work on gas unless they are out sourcing it

When my Cali arrived 1 year ago, I had to put everything onto the rubber hose myself which I understand is unusual.
Did you inquire with VW - after fitting fixings yourself?
I wonder did your van have gas safety sticker on the boot when you picked it up?

Did you inquire with VW - after fitting fixings yourself?
I wonder did your van have gas safety sticker on the boot when you picked it up?
No it was no more difficult that assembling the parts on a gas BBQ in fairness though I understood its normally already done.
No Sticker on boot...I thought this has been dropped?

Oh that’s a new one haven’t seen any info on That yet it will be interesting to see what we have to do. I cannot see how it’s an hours work the only gas connections in the pipe are the ones at the fresh water tank, The two olive joints at the tap to disconnect the hob and the connectors on the bottom of the burners. I will look the details up on Monday

I pulled the vehicle inspection (12 month) and the Oil service (not yet due) into a single visit on Friday along with this safety recall.
When I got there, there was an auto pilot response from the guy on service reception about looking for the corrosion and taking photos or if there wasn't any they would apply a clear strip.
I let him finish and smiled that my Cali had that fix from new and the recall on the paper in front of him was about the Gas system. I was the first customer of the day and he was fine once he had a coffee LOL....
Once we got past that he came back to me after a about 1 hour and said that nobody there was qualified to carry out the recall. The upshot is, they will send a qualified contractor to my house instead.
Nothing is arranged yet and this is only about checking the connections so provided he doesn't have to start pulling the interior apart I'm happy.

Has anyone else had this recall done?

Once we got past that he came back to me after a about 1 hour and said that nobody there was qualified to carry out the recall. The upshot is, they will send a qualified contractor to my house instead.
Nothing is arranged yet and this is only about checking the connections so provided he doesn't have to start pulling the interior apart I'm happy.

Has anyone else had this recall done?

No but having just found out I am subject to the latest cambelt check/recall, I thought I would look on the internet for other recalls and found a recall https://car-recalls.eu/recall/volkswagen-california-t5-t6-2015-2018/

Problem Description
The screw connections in the gas installation of the built-in kitchen may be inadequate. As a consequence, gas may leak and, due to poor ventilation, an explosion cannot be ruled out if an ignition source is simultaneously present.
It affects vehicles manufactured between 14/1/2015 and 19/5/2018.
Source: Alert 34/2018 A12/1235/18
Published by RAPEX 24. 8. 2018
Make Volkswagen
Model Transporter
Type Passenger van / Light commercial vehicle
Production period 14. 1. 2015 - 19. 5. 2018
Type/number of model e1*2001/116*0220*; e1*2001/116*0289*; types: 7HC, 7HMA

My model number shows as e1*2001/116*0220*45 so I should be subject to this.

I asked VW to check it but they say it is not relevant to my vehicle.
How did you get on?

It was a complete shambles to be honest.
The dealer in Havant only really looked into it when I turned up for the joint appointment of a service and the recall. As @calikev points out they weren't qualified but they decided on the day half way through the service would be the time to tell me.
Then they tried to outsource it and clearly struggled so I got VWCC involved which ended up with it being outsourced to a Caravan builders outfit. The dealer gave them no information about the recall. I had to take the van to the dealers first and they were going to drive it to the caravan outfit so I did that instead accompanied by someone from VW who was just a driver.
I talked the caravan staff through the recall from my letter while the VW driver asked me how long it was going to take because he hadn't had lunch.
This was not VW's finest hour. I didn't get asked to fill in any survey either :mad:

All they did in the end was remove the orange rubber tube, rig up a pressure testing cylinder to that open end, check all accessible connections for tightness and watch the pressure gauge for about 5 minutes to see if it held pressure. With some commercial form of soapy water on all the joints.

You could save yourself a whole lot of trouble if your nose is good with the smell of calorgas and you aren't getting through gas bottle too quickly. Now that may sound a bit flippant but you should smell the tiniest traces especially over this amount of time.