Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone fitted T6.1 Alpine 'Plug & Play' speakers?

Ive just spent an hour fitting the first door speaker & found that I have a large lump of very dense foam fitted to the door card already - presumably for sound deadening.View attachment 104925
IMG_7439.JPG
I believe these are the door clips are they the same as the ones in the A-pillar trim? this is spare one I purchase and I inadvertly squeezed it now to you get it to release ?

I took the factory stuff off (wasn't amazingly well stuck on anyway so quite easy) and used the roll of Dodo Mat SQ I put a link to above https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/anyone-fitted-t6-1-alpine-plug-play-speakers.40908/post-698077

Was £32 for a 50cm x 2m roll and I think I used about two thirds of it. Could probably have used (and maybe will do) the bit I have left to put some in the corners of the doors nearest the mirrors.

Been out for a drive this afternoon and properly cranked up the tunes, absolutely no rattle or buzz from the doors / speakers and with the music off, seemed quieter too.
I just reached out to Dodomat and they have adviIMG_7440.JPGsed the SQ sound deadening should be fixed on the door and not the door card the only reason I mentioned this was because I saw this on the box -or have I got something different ?

I just reached out to Dodomat and they have adviView attachment 122379sed the SQ sound deadening should be fixed on the door and not the door card the only reason I mentioned this was because I saw this on the box -or have I got something different ?

I guess they say that generally for most applications anywhere else in a vehicle, you would put it on metal.

On the T6.1, there is very little interior metal work on the doors, the outer skin is obviously metal but you can't really get to that unless you remove the inner plastic panel with all the electric window stuff attached to it (there's some pics earlier in this thread). Personally, I wouldn't try that and I'm not sure putting stuff inside the door would have much effect anyway and possibly obstruct the window mechanism.

I've seen pics of T5 and T6's (which do have an metal inner door panel) with deadening on and I thought about putting some on the plastic panel, but again I'd worry because of all the stuff attached to it, wires etc. Once I got the door cards off and saw the only stuff VW had fitted themselves was to the cards, that seemed the logical option, and looking at other pics in this thread, that seems to be what others have done.

Dodo actually sell a very similar product as part of a kit where they say apply the roll to the doors and extra foam panels to the doors behind the speakers. I'm no expert, but in terms of sound deadening, you attach it to anything that potentially vibrates. All the stuff I've seen and read online shows insulation attached door cards as well as the doors themselves too.

It's worked for me anyway, and was by far the easiest and less messy option. As I've got some left over, I might put a bit on the metal door just behind where the speakers are (which you can get to when you take them out), but I'd be careful as it might interfere with the window going up and down.

Back