Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone fitted T6.1 Alpine 'Plug & Play' speakers?

Nice one, thanks Phil. They’re only half hour away from me too!
How easy is the sound deadening to fit? I’ve just been looking and one place that gets ace reviews is showing the Alpine kit fitted for £459 or £699 with sound deadening!!!?? So it’s either expensive stuff, a bugger to fit or they’re a bit pricey!?

Nice one, thanks Phil. They’re only half hour away from me too!
How easy is the sound deadening to fit? I’ve just been looking and one place that gets ace reviews is showing the Alpine kit fitted for £459 or £699 with sound deadening!!!?? So it’s either expensive stuff, a bugger to fit or they’re a bit pricey!?
That’s handy. I’ve not fitted sound deadening. I fitted the speakers and thought I’d make my own mind up about the need to deaden the doors and door cards party because fitting the speakers is reversible but I don’t think you’d get the matting off the doors easily. Our van isn’t a year old so I guess I was worrying perhaps unnecessarily about the warranty. Perhaps irrational as neither speakers or matting are likely to cause any problems. I know that the general view on the forums is that sound deadening is a must. The speakers alone, in my view are a significant upgrade for listening to music and I don’t have it blasting out so maybe don’t generate enough vibration to cause an issue. The door speakers do have a heavy metal ring that’s part of the construction which no doubt eliminates some distortion. There are quite a few videos on you tube on fitting the matting.

I would go for stage 2 sound deadening (pic attached) if I had my time again. I would also consider installing the companion Alpine sub woofer under the seat, which would free the door speakers from bass duties.
View attachment 98701
Ive just spent an hour fitting the first door speaker & found that I have a large lump of very dense foam fitted to the door card already - presumably for sound deadening.IMG_0033.jpeg

I found the stock Audio system surprisingly good. Certainly beats the B&O 'upgrade' system I had the Audi S4 which was terrible.

Ive just spent an hour fitting the first door speaker & found that I have a large lump of very dense foam fitted to the door card already - presumably for sound deadening.View attachment 104925
Ive just spent an hour fitting the first door speaker & found that I have a large lump of very dense foam fitted to the door card already - presumably for sound deadening.View attachment 104925
It’ll be a duster Andy from when they PDI’d it !
Mine was the same. It’s not too bad a job is it if you take it steady. I forgot to put the ring of foam around the alpine door speaker ( found it in the box thankfully before I made the same mistake).

It’ll be a duster Andy from when they PDI’d it !
Mine was the same. It’s not too bad a job is it if you take it steady. I forgot to put the ring of foam around the alpine door speaker ( found it in the box thankfully before I made the same mistake).
When I do the other side I'll take a note of the part number on the foam & see what it is described as.

I agree with Graham, a worthwhile upgrade for more detailed sound. Advanced in-car in Poole fitted mine and recommended a stage 1 (2mm) sound deadening. I still find a bit of door vibration with bass at higher volumes, so I would go for stage 2 sound deadening (pic attached) if I had my time again. I would also consider installing the companion Alpine sub woofer under the seat, which would free the door speakers from bass duties.
View attachment 98701
Took the plunge today and ordered a set of the Alpine upgrade speakers I am contemplating sounding and was going to ask how much I needed to apply as I see you’ve applied the sound ending to the door card is that the only place you have it is there nothing on the door at all. Could you please advise what that sound dead thing is that you’ve applied to the inside of the door? And was there any issues put the card back onto the door again TIA?

Last edited:
Took the plunge today and all the set up at the Alpine upgrade speakers I am contemplating sounding and was going to ask how much I needed to apply as I see you’ve applied the sound ending to the door card is that the only place you have it is there nothing on the door at all. Could you please advise what that sound dead thing is that you’ve applied to the inside of the door? And was there any issues put the card back onto the door again TIA?
I had mine fitted by Advanced In-Car in Poole. I’d make a right pigs ear of it!

I have been watching the install instructions on transporter HQ and the fitter looks like he pushes two pins with wire on coming from the big speaker into some plug I thought the original speaker plugs connected straight into the alpine speakers or is the Cali different - also when the A pillar trim is removed is the blind mechanism also attached to it ?

I have been watching the install instructions on transporter HQ and the fitter looks like he pushes two pins with wire on coming from the big speaker into some plug I thought the original speaker plugs connected straight into the alpine speakers or is the Cali different - also when the A pillar trim is removed is the blind mechanism also attached to it ?
The plugs are the same
The blinds come off with the a pillar trim

I would recommend ordering a few of the door card clips as you will probably break a couple.
Also worth getting a set of plastic trim removal tools to get behind some of the bits without scratching them.

The plugs are the same
The blinds come off with the a pillar trim

I would recommend ordering a few of the door card clips as you will probably break a couple.
Also worth getting a set of plastic trim removal tools to get behind some of the bits without scratching them.
Thanks for the advise - I think I was ahead of you there - I do have trim removal tools already much better than screwdriver marks in the trim and I was considering extra clips but on your advice I have just ordered some - there are cheap as chips but its bloody annoying when you break one and now where local has any on.sunday

Thanks for the advise - I think I was ahead of you there - I do have trim removal tools already much better than screwdriver marks in the trim and I was considering extra clips but on your advice I have just ordered some - there are cheap as chips but its bloody annoying when you break one and now where local has any on.sunday
Let us know how you get on. I’ve really enjoyed our upgrade. Phil

I decided to treat myself for my birthday and ordered the speaker kit as well as the sub / amp combo, made use of a recent eBay 20% discount promo (and a seller who didn't jack up their prices during the offer) and got both for about £680 with hopefully another £30 odd in cash back to come as well.

Fitted just the speaker kit myself yesterday. I'm a reasonably competent DIY type, quite happy dismantling things plus back in the day just after I passed my test, I fitted one of the pull out Alpine head units and a couple of big speakers in the parcel shelf of my Fiesta. Ended up providing the same service to a lot of mates off the back of it, yesterday was a nice trip back in time :)

It took about 5 hours going pretty steadily, not rushing and testing each speaker at each stage as I went along. Also had a few neighbours stopping to chat and look at the van in general. Was quite straightforward using a combination of the video posted earlier in this thread and the printed instructions. Have got a set of trim tools which are definitely recommended, despite that managed to break one door clip and annoyingly crack the passenger side grab handle cover. A bit of superglue has sorted for now but will keep an eye on eBay for one as they seem to be about £30 atm.

I also had the same foam pad / wadding on the inside of both door cards, I removed it and fitted some Dodo Mat SQ deadening instead (link below).Was looking at using the basic plastic stage 1 stuff but noticed that someone above said they'd gone for stage 2 and spotted that Dodo product was a combo of both and handily came on a roll that I thought would be just about enough (it was, used about two thirds of it). I just put it on the inside of the door cards, didn't put any on the door itself or inside it. There didn't look to be much clearance between the outer door skin and the window when it's down, plus other than through the hole when you take the door speakers out, there's not much access unless you take the inner panel off. Thinking on, I could probably have got a small bit directly behind the speakers, maybe I will at a later date now I know how to get the door cards off quite easily. It is quite damp inside the door though, so maybe foam wouldn't be a great idea?

TBH there's not a lot of space for deadening on the door cards or inner panel, but I did manage to cover most of the door card with a continuous piece, trimming it to fit as a went. Getting the cards back on felt a little bit tighter, particularly on the drivers side as there's more wiring to get back into the gaps. I've got some pics I'll put up later if anyone wants an idea of what works. The doors shut with a much nicer clunk now and there's a few kg's more weight to each.

Sat and had a good listen to a few tracks I know well last night and the improvement is impressive. Generally the soundscape feels a lot wider and more detailed. I would agree that there's a lot more treble from the dash tweeters, but for me that adds clarity to the sound and I can actually hear individual drums and cymbals for example. Mid and bass wise, it again sounds less muddy than the VW speakers with more definition generally. They handle higher volumes without distortion and there's no buzz and rattle from the doors anymore - probably helped by the deadening though tbh.

I think I would have been happy with just the speaker kit, but knowing there's a matching sub kit as well, I was sat there thinking it would be nice to have a bit more bass, particularly without having to have the volume turned right up. I'm glad I bit the bullet and am looking forward to fitting it.

For reference, I've got the original factory fit VW Discover Media Pro with the larger touch screen. Van is a 2022 Ocean, about 18 months old.

Link to the deadening I used:

Last edited:
I decided to treat myself for my birthday and ordered the speaker kit as well as the sub / amp combo, made use of a recent eBay 20% discount promo (and a seller who didn't jack up their prices during the offer) and got both for about £680 with hopefully another £30 odd in cash back to come as well.

Fitted just the speaker kit myself yesterday. I'm a reasonably competent DIY type, quite happy dismantling things plus back in the day just after I passed my test, I fitted one of the pull out Alpine head units and a couple of big speakers in the parcel shelf of my Fiesta. Ended up providing the same service to a lot of mates off the back of it, yesterday was a nice trip back in time :)

It took about 5 hours going pretty steadily, not rushing and testing each speaker at each stage as I went along. Also had a few neighbours stopping to chat and look at the van in general. Was quite straightforward using a combination of the video posted earlier in this thread and the printed instructions. Have got a set of trim tools which are definitely recommended, despite that managed to break one door clip and annoyingly crack the passenger side grab handle cover. A bit of superglue has sorted for now but will keep an eye on eBay for one as they seem to be about £30 atm.

I also had the same foam pad / wadding on the inside of both door cards, I removed it and fitted some Dodo Mat SQ deadening instead (link below).Was looking at using the basic plastic stage 1 stuff but noticed that someone above said they'd gone for stage 2 and spotted that Dodo product was a combo of both and handily came on a roll that I thought would be just about enough (it was, used about two thirds of it). I just put it on the inside of the door cards, didn't put any on the door itself or inside it. There didn't look to be much clearance between the outer door skin and the window when it's down, plus other than through the hole when you take the door speakers out, there's not much access unless you take the inner panel off. Thinking on, I could probably have got a small bit directly behind the speakers, maybe I will at a later date now I know how to get the door cards off quite easily. It is quite damp inside the door though, so maybe foam wouldn't be a great idea?

TBH there's not a lot of space for deadening on the door cards or inner panel, but I did manage to cover most of the door card with a continuous piece, trimming it to fit as a went. Getting the cards back on felt a little bit tighter, particularly on the drivers side as there's more wiring to get back into the gaps. I've got some pics I'll put up later if anyone wants an idea of what works. The doors shut with a much nicer clunk now and there's a few kg's more weight to each.

Sat and had a good listen to a few tracks I know well last night and the improvement is impressive. Generally the soundscape feels a lot wider and more detailed. I would agree that there's a lot more treble from the dash tweeters, but for me that adds clarity to the sound and I can actually hear individual drums and cymbals for example. Mid and bass wise, it again sounds less muddy than the VW speakers with more definition generally. They handle higher volumes without distortion and there's no buzz and rattle from the doors anymore - probably helped by the deadening though tbh.

I think I would have been happy with just the speaker kit, but knowing there's a matching sub kit as well, I was sat there thinking it would be nice to have a bit more bass, particularly without having to have the volume turned right up. I'm glad I bit the bullet and am looking forward to fitting it.

For reference, I've got the original factory fit VW Discover Media Pro with the larger touch screen. Van is a 2022 Ocean, about 18 months old.

Link to the deadening I used:
A really great instructional review Begize. I thought I’d drawn the line on upgrading anything other than the Alpine T6.1 speaker kit but a do occasionally get some vibration from the door card. I was advised to use sound deadening too. I’m tempted now. Thanks for taking the time to post. Photos would be great too. Phil

A really great instructional review Begize. I thought I’d drawn the line on upgrading anything other than the Alpine T6.1 speaker kit but a do occasionally get some vibration from the door card. I was advised to use sound deadening too. I’m tempted now. Thanks for taking the time to post. Photos would be great too. Phil
Here we go, thought I'd took some of both doors but it was so sunny yesterday (bizarre :D) I couldn't see my phone screen so it seems not.

First couple are the factory fitted deadening if anyone is interested in the part number and stuff. The mat I used is thin enough to fit, but you can probably see the marks in the last pics which is where the door latch cable scratched it.

Even turning the volume right up to pretty much maximum (the rear speakers were distorted and buzzing to hell), I got no buzzing or rattles in the front at all. I've got some of the matting left, so will possibly fit some to the top corner(s) nearest the mirror when I replace the broken clip.

One thing I did was use a cloth / towel inside the door to catch the bits of rivet and / or nuts. Didn't lose a nut, but a few bits of rivet defeated me and fell inside the door. I've also got a feeling I left a cloth in the passenger door. Although I later found what I think was the missing cloth in my hoodie pocket, I'm still going to have to check as some point.....

PXL_20240420_103518465.jpg

PXL_20240420_103525027.jpg

PXL_20240420_131355389.jpg

PXL_20240420_131411816.jpg

PXL_20240420_131414077.jpg

PXL_20240420_131417328.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go, thought I'd took some of both doors but it was so sunny yesterday (bizarre :D) I couldn't see my phone screen so it seems not.

First couple are the factory fitted deadening if anyone is interested in the part number and stuff. The mat I used is thin enough to fit, but you can probably see the marks in the last pics which is where the door latch cable scratched it.

Even turning the volume right up to pretty much maximum (the rear speakers were distorted and buzzing to hell), I got no buzzing or rattles in the front at all. I've got some of the matting left, so will possibly fit some to the top corner(s) nearest the mirror when I replace the broken clip.

One thing I did was use a cloth / towel inside the door to catch the bits of rivet and / or nuts. Didn't lose a nut, but a few bits of rivet defeated me and fell inside the door. I've also got a feeling I left a cloth in the passenger door. Although I later found what I think was the missing cloth in my hoodie pocket, I'm still going to have to check as some point.....

View attachment 122222

View attachment 122223

View attachment 122224

View attachment 122225

View attachment 122226

View attachment 122227
excellent pictures and write up what was the thin sound deadening you used on the top of the standard and how much did you need to purchase - I dont really want to stick the heavy sound reading to the door if I can get away with what you have done

excellent pictures and write up what was the thin sound deadening you used on the top of the standard and how much did you need to purchase - I dont really want to stick the heavy sound reading to the door if I can get away with what you have done
I took the factory stuff off (wasn't amazingly well stuck on anyway so quite easy) and used the roll of Dodo Mat SQ I put a link to above https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/anyone-fitted-t6-1-alpine-plug-play-speakers.40908/post-698077

Was £32 for a 50cm x 2m roll and I think I used about two thirds of it. Could probably have used (and maybe will do) the bit I have left to put some in the corners of the doors nearest the mirrors.

Been out for a drive this afternoon and properly cranked up the tunes, absolutely no rattle or buzz from the doors / speakers and with the music off, seemed quieter too.

I took the factory stuff off (wasn't amazingly well stuck on anyway so quite easy) and used the roll of Dodo Mat SQ I put a link to above https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/anyone-fitted-t6-1-alpine-plug-play-speakers.40908/post-698077

Was £32 for a 50cm x 2m roll and I think I used about two thirds of it. Could probably have used (and maybe will do) the bit I have left to put some in the corners of the doors nearest the mirrors.

Been out for a drive this afternoon and properly cranked up the tunes, absolutely no rattle or buzz from the doors / speakers and with the music off, seemed quieter too.
Did one roll do both doors?

I find the original system ok for my old ears. I do fancy doing the sound deadening though. Any link to the door card clips anyone? Early t6 2016 ocean

I find the original system ok for my old ears. I do fancy doing the sound deadening though. Any link to the door card clips anyone? Early t6 2016 ocean
Maybe the sound deadening will make the original speakers sound better too!

View attachment 122222

View attachment 122223

View attachment 122224

View attachment 122225

View attachment 122226

View attachment 122227
Did you fit the new sound deadening over the original

Maybe the sound deadening will make the original speakers sound better too!
Sound deadening (making the door more inert from an audio perspective) will make any speakers sound better. As someone said, it may make the cabin slighly quieter too - there is already sound deadening between the cabin and the engine bay, so a good chunk of what remains may come through the doors and they may also amplify road noise being transferred through the vehicle frame, do deadening that could help too. Basically sound deadening can only improve things.

Back