Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone fitted T6.1 Alpine 'Plug & Play' speakers?

brooodie

brooodie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Rejected suggestion of dynamat/ sound deadening…
Any main reason for rejecting this (cost or something else)?

I was wondering if the Cali doors had sound deadening over and above a regular T6.1 but it appears not from you pics. Seems to be heavily recommended but it's always on Transporter vans that they are doing these mods rather than Calis so it's not clear if required as much given cabin noise is meant to be quieter.

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Rejected suggestion of dynamat/ sound deadening…
Looking forward to hearing your review!
Advanced in-car (Poole) wanted £199 to fit the kit and include extra sound deadening. Sounded like a no-brainer to me.
Why did you decide against sound deadening?

Kayleigh

Kayleigh

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Any main reason for rejecting this (cost or something else)?

I was wondering if the Cali doors had sound deadening over and above a regular T6.1 but it appears not from you pics. Seems to be heavily recommended but it's always on Transporter vans that they are doing these mods rather than Calis so it's not clear if required as much given cabin noise is meant to be quieter.
I think the idea is to prevent sound being reflected and distorted by the door panel, which in turn affects the quality of the sound in the van. I don’t think it’s purpose is to reduce external road noise, but happy to be corrected on this :)

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I think the idea is to prevent sound being reflected and distorted by the door panel, which in turn affects the quality of the sound in the van. I don’t think it’s purpose is to reduce external road noise, but happy to be corrected on this :)
Yes as I understand it sound deadening is mainly to reduce unwanted vibrations and resonances in the door panels and fittings, so you get the best out of the speakers. I am not sure if road noise reduction would be noticeable. Very hard to compare without a back to back test but for the sake of £200 I specced mine to be done as the door cards were coming off anyway. Would be interested in how you find the sound when the speakers are burned in a bit.

Kayleigh

Kayleigh

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yes as I understand it sound deadening is mainly to reduce unwanted vibrations and resonances in the door panels and fittings, so you get the best out of the speakers. I am not sure if road noise reduction would be noticeable. Very hard to compare without a back to back test but for the sake of £200 I specced mine to be done as the door cards were coming off anyway. Would be interested in how you find the sound when the speakers are burned in a bit.
I’ve not ordered any yet, as I’m waiting to hear the reviews on here. If I do get them I would definitely go for the sound deadening, especially its being recommended by the fitters.

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I added an underseat subwoofer at the weekend (Inphase USW300). A fairly easy job and the sound improvement is significant. Fits nicely under the drivers seat. I will probably also add the Alpine kit later in the year as well.IMG_0428.JPG.

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Nice job - looks neat. Does it have a remote?
Yes - on a very long cable. Gain, low pass filter, bass boost and phase are all adjustable. I made the adjustments and tucked it back under the seat.

It's powered from a fuse tap in the panel under the steering wheel - switches on with the ignition.

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Saesneg Shaun

Saesneg Shaun

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
For those that are pulling their door cards be aware the clips have changed between the T6 and T6.1

Correct part number
Here

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I looked at that one but I don't think the woofer fits under the seat, and I believe on a T6.1 there isn't a lot of space behind the dash for the amp.
This suggests it will fit?:
The included 180 Watt subwoofer with wooden enclosure for installation under the passenger seat adds powerful bass and is even compatible with the rotary seat of the California camping bus.

Note: this system is designed to work with an original Volkswagen T6.1 / T6 radio only. If you have an Alpine or other aftermarket radio, please select SPC-D84AT6-R instead.

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Here's the bass bin to complement the Alpine in a 6.1, although Advanced in-car suggested I wait until I'd heard the door and tweeter upgrade first, as for many there's no need for more bass.
https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/sound-systems-for-volkswagen/spc-d84at6
The included 180 Watt subwoofer with wooden enclosure for installation under the passenger seat adds powerful bass and is even compatible with the rotary seat of the California camping bus.

Note: this system is designed to work with an original Volkswagen T6.1 / T6 radio only. If you have an Alpine or other aftermarket radio, please select SPC-D84AT6-R instead.
The sub box does look quite big for the available space and I doubt the amp would go under the seat as well. It would be interesting to see one installed.

ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199

The USW300 I installed is 28cm x 20cm x 7.5cm (high) and is a comfortable fit. Restricting the depth is a fuse box and restricting the hight is the inverter.

The Alpine sub is 35.5cm x 33cm x 17cm (high) so although the width might be OK, the depth and height is too great.

I guess you might get it in if you move things around.

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
The sub box does look quite big for the available space and I doubt the amp would go under the seat as well. It would be interesting to see one installed.
The installation instructions show it installed, and mentions the California, although you need to move stuff around to make it fit (see stage 4). Stage 14 shows the amp bolted to the sub box, so all under the passenger seat. I'd certainly pay someone to do it!
https://www.alpine.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/manuals//2021/SPC-D84AT6/IM_SPC-D84AT6_DE_EN.pdf

Last edited:
ChocolateEclair

ChocolateEclair

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
The installation instructions show it installed, and mentions the California, although you need to move stuff around to make it fit (see stage 4). Stage 14 shows the amp bolted to the sub box, so all under the passenger seat. I'd certainly pay someone to do it!
https://www.alpine.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/manuals//2021/SPC-D84AT6/IM_SPC-D84AT6_DE_EN.pdf
Like I thought - it fits if you move all the various electronics out of the way. I didn't want to do that on my 1 year old van as I'm sure it affects the warranty.

I also connected the input to the rear speaker wires that are in the connector blocks under the seats so there was no need to go anywhere near the dash.

VW California Club