Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone fitted T6.1 Alpine 'Plug & Play' speakers?

P

paul_f

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Are you using android auto/Apple carplay?

I find the sound quality with that awful on the T6. Even Bluetooth is better.

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Sorry to say it really isn’t good, tweeters way too shrill, horrible noise, turned treble down still awful. Bass no good either. The pillar tweeters look awesome but really painful sound. Better solutions out there…my teeth and ears hurt
Oh dear thats not good. How long have you played them for - maybe they need some more burning in time?

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Tried all variables, DAB, FM, Apple and Bluetooth all similar
Can I ask @Tomato if your van has standard or Pro Media? Just wondering if the amplification and EQ setup makes any difference. I am genuinely interested because mine is due to be fitted tomorrow - you have given me second thoughts!

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Can I ask @Tomato if your van has standard or Pro Media? Just wondering if the amplification and EQ setup makes any difference. I am genuinely interested because mine is due to be fitted tomorrow - you have given me second thoughts!
I’ve bought the kit too - just waiting for my California (with pro media) then they’ll be fitted. Gets great reviews, surely not all are biased.Advanced in-car even said he doubts I’ll want fit the Alpine bass bin once I’ve heard it...so underselling there.
Gutted to read this bad review.

Last edited:
GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So I took the plunge and went ahead with getting the Alpine set up fitted, with sound deadening in the doors, by Advanced In Car in Poole. To my ears, there is a marked improvement in detail, presence, soundstage and instrument separation. Overall the midrange is much more present, vocals come through very well, and I am hearing stuff (especially percussion) which wasn't there before. I am still getting used to it, so time will tell and it may take a few more hours of burn in to get get the best out if it. I still find I am using the EQ to dial down treble

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So I took the plunge and went ahead with getting the Alpine set up fitted, with sound deadening in the doors, by Advanced In Car in Poole. To my ears, there is a marked improvement in detail, presence, soundstage and instrument separation. Overall the midrange is much more present, vocals come through very well, and I am hearing stuff (especially percussion) which wasn't there before. I am still getting used to it, so time will tell and it may take a few more hours of burn in to get get the best out if it. I still find I am using the EQ to dial down treble
…and add a little more bass, but that is my preference and I think the Discover Pro set up is inherently on the bright side. I am happy with the system though for the price, and it works well with the Kenwood sub. Very happy with the advice and service from Tim and Rich at Advanced In Car, they really know their stuff - highly recommended.

Last edited:
66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
…and add a little more bass, but that is my preference and I think the Discover Pro set up is inherently on the bright side. I am happy with the system though for the price, and it works well with the Panasonic sub. Very happy with the advice and service from Tim and Rich at Advanced In Car, they really know their stuff - highly recommended.
Thanks I’m sure it will bed in more over the coming weeks.
I’ve paid a deposit to Advanced in-car for the Alpine set up as they were very low on stock and didn’t know when they’d get more in with the shortages. I’ll have it fitted in early November when my California is delivered.
Tim recommended I didn’t order a new sub too - reckoning most find no need for a sub as well, so to listen to the installed Alpine and then decide. Feels like I’m in safe hands when I’m not being up-sold. He’s also recommended a camp site nearby (he needs the van by 8.30am for fitting).
Presume you think the sub is necessary?

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Thanks I’m sure it will bed in more over the coming weeks.
I’ve paid a deposit to Advanced in-car for the Alpine set up as they were very low on stock and didn’t know when they’d get more in with the shortages. I’ll have it fitted in early November when my California is delivered.
Tim recommended I didn’t order a new sub too - reckoning most find no need for a sub as well, so to listen to the installed Alpine and then decide. Feels like I’m in safe hands when I’m not being up-sold. He’s also recommended a camp site nearby (he needs the van by 8.30am for fitting).
Presume you think the sub is necessary?
Yes I agree, I think it makes sense to install the Alpine’s first and then decide if you want the extra bass punch. I wasn’t aware of them tbh before I fitted the sub. I wouldn’t say the sub is absolutely necessary, but I do think it sounds better with than without. I like the extra tunefulness and kick/tom thump you get at low frequencies. But everyone’s ears are different.

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Yes I agree, I think it makes sense to install the Alpine’s first and then decide if you want the extra bass punch. I wasn’t aware of them tbh before I fitted the sub. I wouldn’t say the sub is absolutely necessary, but I do think it sounds better with than without. I like the extra tunefulness and kick/tom thump you get at low frequencies. But everyone’s ears are different.
PS Kenwood not Panasonic sub - corrected in my original post!

Tomato

Tomato

Vehicle
N/A
Mine was just the basic standard stereo

I WILL admit it’s mellowed a bit but sound deadening needed, better sounding options out there and still way too shrill, I shouldnt have to turn the treble down to zero. Looks sooo cool though

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Mine was just the basic standard stereo

I WILL admit it’s mellowed a bit but sound deadening needed, better sounding options out there and still way too shrill, I shouldnt have to turn the treble down to zero. Looks sooo cool though
Maybe it will mellow further with time. Advanced In Car told me it takes about 30 hours for most speakers to fully bed in. I agree there are better sounding options if you want to spend more, but I still think the Alpine’s are pretty good at the price. The next step up would be adding DSP, amps etc. If you are going that far you I think you would really need to change the head unit and put a lot more sound deadening in. And at the end of the day its a van, so the baseline acoustics are not ideal.

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I need a sub too…
Yes - given what you are saying about finding the system too bright, adding a sub with independent frequency and volume control will enable you to blend in as much bass as you want and I have personally found this substantially alters the overall sound balance (this was the case before and after adding the Alpine speakers). At a given sound pressure level you might find you tolerate the high frequency more when there is more bottom end thump to compensate. I find this working with EQ on my PA system (with big subs) in a live band environment so it makes sense that the same applies in a car.

VW California Club