deltheblue

deltheblue

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
IMG-20240811-WA0001.jpg
Solutions or spare parts required if anyone has experienced this issue

View attachment 127699
It seems as if the bolt has come undone.
Firstly, I would remove bolt and see if it will screw into the threaded hole correctly .
If so just replace it through the casting and tighten up, Possibly using some thread lock.
Now if the bolt won’t screw into the threaded hole then we have a problem.

What year is your vehicle?

It looks like you have been hitting it with a big hammer? Any reason why.

It seems as if the bolt has come undone.
Firstly, I would remove bolt and see if it will screw into the threaded hole correctly .
If so just replace it through the casting and tighten up, Possibly using some thread lock.
Now if the bolt won’t screw into the threaded hole then we have a problem.

What year is your vehicle?
Hi Welsh gas its 2004 it looks like the nut which was cast into the frame has popped out of its casting so I think we have a problem

May be possible to try a clinch nut insert .You would need a special tool cheap of Amazon just need thread size etc.

I'll have a look at that thanks I'm just looking at it again and it does look like a hammer has been used on it, only got it back on wednesday after getting some corrosion sorted in the front roof panel
Who did the corrosion my 09 needs a bit doing .Where abouts are you as I have access to a tool if you need to use it at mine.

Who did the corrosion my 09 needs a bit doing .Where abouts are you as I have access to a tool if you need to use it at mine.
I'm I liverpool mate, a friend of mine did the repairs on the front roof panel which was bubbling and flaking off

I'm I liverpool mate, a friend of mine did the repairs on the front roof panel which was bubbling and flaking
My daughter is studying in liverpool .
Does he do work on others and is it a pro job where they treat the aluminium etc.

My daughter is studying in liverpool .
Does he do work on others and is it a pro job where they treat the aluminium etc.
I'm not sure how it's been done to be honest we discussed the anti corrosion painting of the aluminium before he took it and he had it for 4 weeks

Hope you get it sorted.
I'm not sure how it's been done to be honest we discussed the anti corrosion painting of the aluminium before he took it and he had it for 4 weeks
Hope you get sorted if not message me will try get tool one weekend when visit her.

I have nursert tools in maryport Cumbria, what thread is it?

Looks like the nut has come away with the bolt, don’t think epoxy is going to work. As said nutsert is the way to go.

Looks like the nut has come away with the bolt, don’t think epoxy is going to work. As said nutsert is the way to go.
you dont think I could take the nut off and reset it with a good epoxy? I'm open minded I just thought the cover will not be under any pressure so should hold with the epoxy

You could try and it may work. If it was me I’d go for the nutsert option, hoping there’s enough base material for the incest to compress against. Otherwise it’s a weld job.

you dont think I could take the nut off and reset it with a good epoxy? I'm open minded I just thought the cover will not be under any pressure so should hold with the epoxy
How well do you know this geyser that worked on the roof?, might just have come away due to rusting but might have got ripped out with an over enthusiastic attempt to remove the seized bolt if that roof needed to be removed for some reason , just saying

View attachment 127699
In addition to all that suggested above, I would:
1. the nut and bolt look rusted. that rust may be there on the roof panel where the nut/bolt perches. I would take off as much of the fitments in that area to look under.
2. Treat all areas around it with rust remover and then rust proof that area depending on the kind/type of metal where that nut perches.
3. Either weld or epoxy (choose the easiest method, most probably epoxy) the nut to where it belongs wait for it it to cure and then clean all parts and assemble everything back.

Cleaning the existing areas correctly will be very important for a good fix/solution.

A similar captive nut arrangement is used for the three bolts under the bonnet holding the top of the front strut and if you've ever tried to remove a shock assembly, you'll already know what an absolute pain it is to get them out after they've parted company with the top bearing assembly and they are stuck up inside the shock turret.

This is the nut sert Kit I have, It is brilliant and good for up to M8 Nutserts, the rivet gun one can be prone to inserting the nuts in a twisted fashion. I don't think Epoxy will hold. Aftermarket pop top roofs use threaded steel stock inserted in the frame where you have a nut.

Back