Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to fill the freshwater tank with a hopepipe......

When I fill up at home I use a large water carrier to get the water to the van. Then use a submersible 12v pump with a short length of hose to pump the water into the tank. I fitted a 12v plug to the pump and plug into the socket in the rear of van. Although it's a bit heavy to lug the water carrier it does mean I can fill the van in one go and it's easy to keep this "filling kit" clean.

I do the same and I take a 10L jerrycan so I can do the same when travelling. It makes it all very easy.

We use the black Brandrup solar shower bucket. It hangs into the roof rail with a special cord and has an extra long hose that fits in the water inlet. Only 20 liters, which is enough for us boiling coffee, brushing tooths and washing dishes. Not suitable for people with slipping discs. After use the folded bucket fits into one of the chairs in the tailgate (filling opening up, against dripping...)

Aqueous regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

View attachment 22374
When using a Brandrup water bag be careful not to get grit or sand stuck to the outside, then hang it against the window, because it can scratch the window quite badly, I know, I did it!

Don't want to take this off topic but in terms of hoses and other plastic containers used to fill the water, I think it is best to use food grade plastics. This means a drinking water hose (usually blue) and the containers have a symbol on (think it's a knife and a glass, usually on the bottom). I may be wrong but I think the issue is chemical contaminants (some soft plastics use chemicals that are suspected of disrupting hormones) rather than bacterial contamination. Of course many will have ignored this for years and be in fine fettle, but it doesn't seem too much hassle to be in the safe side.

Don't want to take this off topic but in terms of hoses and other plastic containers used to fill the water, I think it is best to use food grade plastics. This means a drinking water hose (usually blue) and the containers have a symbol on (think it's a knife and a glass, usually on the bottom). I may be wrong but I think the issue is chemical contaminants (some soft plastics use chemicals that are suspected of disrupting hormones) rather than bacterial contamination. Of course many will have ignored this for years and be in fine fettle, but it doesn't seem too much hassle to be in the safe side.

That has been discussed also somewhere on the forum , but have you seen those at a campsite ...no .
It is not that you use such a hose daily so don't think it has more influence than say , old lead piping used in older waterlines unvisible under the ground and in homes....

But you got a point , i usual use a plasic bucket and flunnel...

You can put a special HEOS connector on your watertank :
View attachment 22368 View attachment 22369

View attachment 22370 View attachment 22371

This works really well, but I also find out that my Gardena/Hozelock connector itself fits perfectly tight the fillinghole :

View attachment 22372
(Also easy filling, but no HEOS connector needed)

I read that the HEOS is onle reccomendable for watertanks with overflow valves. I am unsure if its suitable for the Cali - what happens when the tank is full, but you not shut the water in time?

I read that the HEOS is onle reccomendable for watertanks with overflow valves. I am unsure if its suitable for the Cali - what happens when the tank is full, but you not shut the water in time?

When the tank is full the water will escape through the Heos like the air does when filling the tank up...

Heos9.jpg

Attachments

• HEOSwater Montage (assembly) (1).pdf
    788.3 KB · Views: 27
I brought a flexible funnel with small handle from poundland. I use a small piece of kador slid in the rail and use string to tie the two together. Works just like the brandrup version but only cost a quid. Use a collapseable container to refill with both hands!!!

In Europe we buy 5litre water containers from tge supermarket and use these instead

Like MrP I bought a largish funnel and length of plastic tubing. I use the small plastic gizmo and velcro strip from the roof tie down kit (plus a short length of cord) to hang the funnel in position against the window and fill using a 15L concertina type collapsible container which is kept with one of the seats in the back door when not in use. Watch for slipped discs but no need to fill the container full. I find the lovely slurping sound as water rushes through the funnel very satisfying.

Didn't seem like a big deal to me but was doing a fill last week while waiting in the queue for the ferry from Eriskay to Barra in the Outer Hebrides and was complimented by the driver of a motorhome behind me for such a clever idea...:Grin

I worked in the plastics industry for many years supplying pipes and pipe fittings to many of Europes Water companies. Yes, for medium to prolonged contact, you should use food grade products. Always flush hoses before use and yes they are usually blue for food grade. This flushing is as much to do with bacteria as it is endocrine disruptors as you say. Should be marked on the pipe or packaging. In the same way do not use clingfilm unless it says its suitable for food and/or microwave.
Edit: My hosepipe is blue and certified as being suitable for water.

In the same way do not use clingfilm unless it says its suitable for food and/or microwave.

Silly question and totally off topic , but what else would clingfilm be suitable for other than food?

Silly question and totally off topic , but what else would clingfilm be suitable for other than food?
A few ideas here - some very lighthearted!! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...Unusual-uses-cling-film-never-knew-about.html
But that was not really my point. There are cling films out there that say in the small print that it's not suitable for fatty foods and/or microwaving. Some even say do not allow to come into contact with food - "use as a lidding agent only".

Very good idea, but did it really take so long (1-2 months) to deliver it? I will be back from holidays by then....

Herrie
where do you get the info of 2 months delivery ? I ordered from amazon.de takes 7-10 days usually to get it deleivered .:confused:

Let me show you how easy it is using simple and cheap tools you can use for other purpose if needed.
A foldable bucket is a very handy thing when camping!

IMG_5481.JPG

IMG_5482.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

Last edited:
edited

Last edited:
Can't read anything else in it... Maybe because I am in the Netherlands?View attachment 22676
I see.. it is never that long. I had not to wait that long , but you can easely find same from other shop : use idealo.de and search for
Befüll Kanister 12 Liter, you will find it for less money and immediately deliverable.

I see.. it is never that long. I had not to wait that long , but you can easely find same from other shop : use idealo.de and search for
Befüll Kanister 12 Liter, you will find it for less money and immediately deliverable.
Well, thanks for the info. I found the product, and it's deliverable within a few days. Including VAT and shipping the costs are higher though than at AMAZON.

I worked in the plastics industry for many years supplying pipes and pipe fittings to many of Europes Water companies. Yes, for medium to prolonged contact, you should use food grade products. Always flush hoses before use and yes they are usually blue for food grade. This flushing is as much to do with bacteria as it is endocrine disruptors as you say. Should be marked on the pipe or packaging. In the same way do not use clingfilm unless it says its suitable for food and/or microwave.
Edit: My hosepipe is blue and certified as being suitable for water.
I've been looking to get a fresh water hose for my new T4 California. I've looked at the one for sale in the forum shop which will probably work for me with the HEOS water filler cap. I'd also like to buy some food grade connectors, similar to what is supplied with the hose from the shop but I cant find them any where for sale. Does anyone know where I can buy these?

Back