Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low Cost Water Tank Fillers

teeboy

teeboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Looks like B+M Stores are selling some stuff that might help us fill our water tanks:

I use a Cheapo camping shower to fill my tank and these are now 50p.
20150826_112404.jpg

Or for smaller fill ups an expandable water carrier for 50p.
20150826_112415.jpg

I got one of the showers from ebay for a few pounds - fill it with water - hang it on the near side awning rail and fill the tank via the hose - I am happy with this method and for 50p you can't go wrong!

I like this idea!
So many times I arrive and set up camp to realise I forgot to fill up with water. That's when I use the container in your pic 2. Another great idea for my Pinterest! Hopefully by the time I go shopping they'll still be on the shelves!

Be careful as some plastics transfer an absolutely revolting taste to the water.

Is the hose long enough?

The hose is long enough - I just pulled off the shower attachment. The pipe that comes with it is prone to kinking so can take ages to decant the water into the tank - so I have replaced mine with an old washing machine hose. However as you can hang it on the awning rail while it empties there really is no rush.

Be careful as some plastics transfer an absolutely revolting taste to the water.
Good point - ours appears to be fine, but we only use the tank for light rinsing and adding to the kettle. If drinking water or squash we use bottled.

However the shower is also a good tool to help with the sterilisation process - put your milton tablets into the "shower" - fill up with water - the milton tablets desovle in she shower - then decant that into the water tank - then repeat to fill the tank - then go for a drive - then drain - I normally draw some of the water through the tap into the drain tank as well (but don't just leave the tap running for ages at it might burn the motor out).

Then you have a nice sterile shower and water tank.

I also find Milton leaves a terrible taste. I use elsil and find it much better

Turned off motorway to head for b&m tonight, then thought better of it....another gadget! Instead I'm going to make a laminated bright orange card in the hope I remember to fill up before parking! I keep forgetting but manage weekends with the collapsible water carrier as in your pic. So knots and reminders will suffice....so I went straight back onto the motorway!

Hoping to get away this weekend....van being washes tomorrow...must add water!

Back