Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to fill the freshwater tank with a hopepipe......

Let me show you how easy it is using simple and cheap tools you can use for other purpose if needed.
A foldable bucket is a very handy thing when camping!

And can double as a emergancy Pee bucket

I had assumed that this topic was tongue in cheek for the most part. Maybe not.
I have used the same piece of green garden hose for the last 12 years and have never had a problem. It is kept in the van all the time and the tank is never empty. When I need to fill up on a site I make tea with water from the tap and if it passes the taste test away we go. We started the taste test after getting very bad water on a site which made tea that was undrinkable.
In January or feb every year I fill the tank and add a good sup of Milton and drive around for a while and drain it.fill again and drain.When filling I always let the hose run for a few seconds just in case anybody has taken up residence in the pipe.
We generally cook every day in the van so I suppose we get through a good sup.
Heading to camperjam this weekend in Weston park.
Ferry to Holyhead Thursday night and a quick spin down Velocity zip line Friday morning. Breakfast after the zip line just in case.

Well it could be somewhat tongue in cheek, but as I'm going to purchase a hose for filling up my camper-van. I want to buy a food grade hose as I believe that standard garden hoses and PVC hoses can harbor a lot of bacteria and leach chemicals in to the water.
I've found a few suppliers of food grade hose, however I'm not sure of where I can buy food grade fittings.

Been using garden hose for 9years never had a problem.
Yes I understand that garden hoses have been used without issue for years, I'm just trying to find out what is available before I buy anything.

I would agree with food quality hose if the water was spending any time in the hose as if it was a permanent connection. But as it is passing through I don,t believe it has an opportunity to leach anything from the hose.
Now the hoses in the van itself which always have water in,these should be food grade........

Yesterday I bought a 5 litre bottle of spring water from the local co-op garage for the princely sum of £1.27. The neck fits fairly snugly in the filling hole, there is a bit of leakage but after half a dozen refills the tank was full.

We've coupled a flexible pipe onto bottom a 5l water container.
Hold in air whilst filling container, when pipe in position in tank undo lid of container, water drains out quite quickly.

And can double as a emergancy Pee bucket

Ever tried to sit on it?

Bit more on topic: since we avoid campings we always have to find an alternative water supply. Gas stations were likely to have a 40mtr hose hanging on the outside in the sunshine. A fine breeding place for all kinds of nasty germs and chemicals from the hose. And it tastes bad too.

In the end, after a tank full of chlorinated water, we just bought 3x5 liter tanks with spring water to fill our tank.

We don't use the tank. Just take the kettle to the tap and fill it. We keep some water bottles, one half to a litre for drinking etc during the day.
We do put 10 litres in the tank before we go, using our plastic water carrier, but we have been in France for three weeks now and not touched it. Why do I put it in ? Not sure, probably the 'just in case' syndrome.

Just returned last night safe and sound from a month trip to Portugal from UK. Used our tank throughout with no ill effects.

We did find and buy a flexible funnel and 5L bottle spring water to fill it with. Perfect, thanks for that tip earlier in the thread.

PS: once holiday head was firmly in place I saw a novice fill his big white from a hose so I followed his lead only to reflect later that the hose we both used was for cleaning/ filling the toilet. Didn't panic as I was carrying sterilising solution and did a full flush out. Hence buying flexible funnel.

I hold the hose away from the filler pipe and just let it flow from a distance, and just judge the curve of the water and it fills a treat, I do not like getting the outside of the pipe anywhere near the inside of the filler pipe.

When convenient we use a water quality hose, that we keep in the Cali, (many hoses are not water quality and can leach undesirable chemicals into your water) from a normal drinking water outlet with one of these special adaptors. Complete with overflow protection.
http://www.heosolution.de/GB/index.php?tip=heoswater&prod=701
All adaptors (eg Hoselock) work with this bit of kit.

aaaf5c3cfbea7323f5bb79e52bc22897.jpg
Test setup for not using a hose and not buying an insane expensieve Brandrup thing. Works fine and is clean.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Just returned last night safe and sound from a month trip to Portugal from UK. Used our tank throughout with no ill effects.

We did find and buy a flexible funnel and 5L bottle spring water to fill it with. Perfect, thanks for that tip earlier in the thread.

PS: once holiday head was firmly in place I saw a novice fill his big white from a hose so I followed his lead only to reflect later that the hose we both used was for cleaning/ filling the toilet. Didn't panic as I was carrying sterilising solution and did a full flush out. Hence buying flexible funnel.
We recently came back from Germany, the Mosel Valley, and witnessed a bod flushing his cassette toilet with a fresh/drinking water hose in the neck of his convenience before filling his own freshwater tank from the same hose. Sorry, but we reported him to the Dutch site owner when we were asked if we enjoyed our stay, she was horrified!!
That said we are always careful, for good reason, about our fill ups. We sterilise once at beginning of season and at the end but never drink the cold water - always boil first. Bottled water or wine for us.;)

Much the same as you. Day 32 through France into Spain and now Portugal. Using on board water has been brilliant. Use the sterilising fluid and my own food grade hose to fill up. Drank the water with no issues.

Mike

I hold the hose away from the filler pipe and just let it flow from a distance, and just judge the curve of the water and it fills a treat, I do not like getting the outside of the pipe anywhere near the inside of the filler pipe.
Exactly what I do

Back