Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone using propane refillable?

It’s just an added safety feature. Not essential, but good practice
But is it really? The pigtail will still need to be vented after transfer, and of course that will be liquid so a lot of gas. Awareness and good gloves helps. Oh, and being down the far end of the garden away from neighbours and any source of ignition :D :D

Hi Team, just to close this loop I have managed to successfully obtain the correct kit to fill my 907’s for a 15 kg Calor Butane cylinder…….it all worked perfectly and is very straight forward. My thanks to everyone for your input and in particular to @Alied who pointed me in the right direction for specific parts.

:thumb

FWIW: we just had our propane bottle refilled in Sortland (Vesteralen, Norway). € 19.- Propane is also expensive, these days…

300mm 330mm to the top of the elbow. No tap on top required as the gaslow has this and the pressure relief valve is built in.

Looks like you will require a KLF adapter but this will not add height.

Should just be a matter of poking a 30cm ruler tape measure into the gas locker and seeing if it will work.
What’s a KLF adapter please?

For anyone considering the Gaslow 2.7 for California’s with the gas locker inside the water tank …….. I checked with Gaslow HQ and they said the cylinder is just a little to high to fit inside and still put the lid back on :(

Back to the drawing board …….:oops:
The 5 lb. bottle is slightly higher but I made two modifications that satisfied the height issue. Firstly, I zipcut 5/16 - 3/8" off the bottom steel ring that is used to keep the bottle upright - it's not needed. Secondly, I cut the centre section out of the plastic lid and fabricated a 1/2" 'spacer' ring to deal with the remaining height of the 5 lb. (refill stations in Canada require the upper "collar" be in place as protection for the valve assembly). Then I glued and screwed a new flat top on the 'spacer' ring to complete the airtight lid on the gas well. Sheet ABS from the plastic supply shop or Plexiglass works fine.

It all works and fits and retains the safety of the gas well being sealed with the lid screwed down. A friend here fashioned the same for his Cali after seeing mine. Success!
cheers, Doug

An update on this.
I bought the correct equipment.
Then filled both used empty 907’s with butane.
When I had filled with 2kg, it was leaking badly.
I managed to screw in the plastic topper to stem the flow. Tried the other 907, same thing after 1Kg.
So both 907’s that I had were faulty.
So I’ll have to bite the bullet and swap out at Walsall tent hire for £30 each.

An update on this.
I managed to screw in the plastic topper to stem the flow. Tried the other 907, same thing after 1Kg.
You are making a serious mistake in using a butane bottle for propane. The pressure requirements are much higher for propane than butane and could result in an explosion/fire. Do not do this

You are making a serious mistake in using a butane bottle for propane. The pressure requirements are much higher for propane than butane and could result in an explosion/fire. Do not do this
It is a lot of hassle. You’re right.
But it has a stamp on the bottom saying propane and butane. And I only filled with an additional 2kg of weight. I thought the blue 907 bottles are butane ?
Red is propane correct ?

You are making a serious mistake in using a butane bottle for propane. The pressure requirements are much higher for propane than butane and could result in an explosion/fire. Do not

But it has a stamp on the bottom saying propane and butane. And I only filled with an additional 2kg of weight. I thought the blue 907 bottles are butane ?
Red is propane correct ?
I took this photo on a German campsite back in the summer. Both 904 cylinders but one butane the other propane. You can tell by the different valves attached. IMG_20220806_181105.jpg

So is it correct?
Blue butane
Red propane ?

Red is propane correct ?
I'm in Canada and smaller propane cylinders are invariably white/ivory in colour. Larger 100lb tanks are often silver and found outside of homes. Here are some useful stats and "Don't Do This":

I'm in Canada and smaller propane cylinders are invariably white/ivory in colour. Larger 100lb tanks are often silver and found outside of homes. Here are some useful stats and "Don't Do This":
Don’t know much about white / ivory or silver coloured bottles.
Do you not have red and blue ones ?
But having read the post, you’ve managed to fit a gaslow bottle inside ?

Don’t know much about white / ivory or silver coloured bottles.
Do you not have red and blue ones ?
But having read the post, you’ve managed to fit a gaslow bottle inside ?
In North America we have what we call a 5 LB. propane bottle, so am unsure of what a "gaslow bottle" is or how it is dimensioned. But, yes, both myself and my friend Hugh - we have the only 2 Californias in the province (never imported to North America by VW). The 5 lb. bottle fits snuggly and as noted in my previous post, I zip cut 3/8" off the top and bottom rims in order to fit the height in. Change of regulator and hose (assistance of hydraulic shop for proper crimping of hose end fitting into sidewall). All works fine. here is a link with picture of our tank - not a promo for Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BLDL7T/

In North America we have what we call a 5 LB. propane bottle, so am unsure of what a "gaslow bottle" is or how it is dimensioned. But, yes, both myself and my friend Hugh - we have the only 2 Californias in the province (never imported to North America by VW). The 5 lb. bottle fits snuggly and as noted in my previous post, I zip cut 3/8" off the top and bottom rims in order to fit the height in. Change of regulator and hose (assistance of hydraulic shop for proper crimping of hose end fitting into sidewall). All works fine. here is a link with picture of our tank - not a promo for Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YSN5LB-Propane-Cylinder/dp/B077BLDL7T/ref=sr_1_4?crid=386GIALANTSMX&keywords=5+lb+propane+bottle&qid=1669914082&sprefix=5+lb.+propane+bottle,aps,156&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
Super duper. :thumb

Californication69; If you click through the linked posting of the 5 lb. bottle, one of the images provides dimensions of the 5 lb. compared to a 20 lb. bottle. Those numbers may be helpful to you.

Butane in North America, is unknown and unobtainable in bulk quantities. Additionally as a winter fuel it is useless as it freezes at a much higher temperature than we experience in winters here.

The local (UK) calor gas butane/propane bottles are clearly the same bottle painted a different colour and with a different pressure relief / outlet valve. The paint colour is not going to affect the bottle's pressure capability.

I suspect the legislation circa testing and construction of these cylinders has no butane specific criteria. Most likely it refers to LPG. Maybe someone has access through the various paywalls?

An update on this.
Sounds from what you are saying the ball valve inside the cylinder is not seating correctly, had this happen once when I increased the valve, a tap with a brass drift and small hammer on the ball centre will re seat it.

Propane has 4X the pressure of butane, so unless a container is specifically stamped denoting propane capability I would be loathe to use it. The butane (blue) 907 bottle than came with my Cali feels to be of lighter material than my propane bottles. The valve is obviously a different system and spec.

Sounds from what you are saying the ball valve inside the cylinder is not seating correctly, had this happen once when I increased the valve, a tap with a brass drift and small hammer on the ball centre will re seat it.
Sounds about right to me. Also, I had read somewhere that a little squirt of WD40 or silicone spay on the ball valve can help (WARNING: do NOT take my word for it)

An update on this.
I think you had a little bad luck there… I have done this 3 times since first posting my question ( only using butane btw). The saving is massive and certainly compensates for the bother.

Either way, stay safe :thumb

Back