Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone using propane refillable?

Note that inthe picture above, the threaded connector at 1 o’clock is the JIC connector used when filling. Gaslow sell an adapter that screws on here and that in turn connects to the various country-specific LPG pumps.
At 3 o’clock is the contents gauge, showing Full after the first fill.
At 10:30 is the standard VW regulator. Note that is turned over (inverted) so that the screw lid fits. My regulator was marked “Butane/Propane” but you should check yours.
I have now achieved my aim of knowing how much gas we have, and can refill my own cylinder. Given all the costs, it’s probably not cost effective, but the wife acceptance factor is vey high!
Questions welcome.

The Gaslow cylinder DOES fit and allows rhe screw lid to be put back on. As far as I am concerned, it’s a direct lug and play replacement for the blue Camping Gas cylinder. The stove works just as before. The calorific vale of Propane is higher than Butane but I haven’t tried to determine if my cuppa boils faster.View attachment 113117
Looks good! The calorific value of butane is about 20% higher than propane, so your kettle will be slower. Are you decanting from a commercial cylinder or filling with LPG?

Looks good! The calorific value of butane is about 20% higher than propane, so your kettle will be slower. Are you decanting from a commercial cylinder or filling with LPG?
Like chocksaway, the OP, I am a balloon pilot, so have several large (60l) propane flight cylinders that we balloonists in turn fill from a bulk tank. I built a special adapter that allows me to decant directly from those balloon cylinders to Gaslow. I didn't mention this because it's a fringe case. I am sure there are almost no other Balloon flying California owners!
I also bought a set of adapters that theoretically allow me to refill from Gas station propane pumps, but have not tried this. My original 907 is about 25% full after about 15 months use, so it might be a while at that rate of use. At least I can check the Gaslow level before each trip and top up if needed.
I guess I could also build an adapter to go from a commercial cylinder as chocksaway has, but presently have no need. As I noted, the Gaslow connector is a JIC connector. After a long search on Fleabay I found those in the US. I can provide more details if you want.
Thanks for the calorific correction! Waiting longer for my morning cuppa is a profound disadvantage! /s

Back