Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone using propane refillable?

Propane has 4X the pressure of butane, so unless a container is specifically stamped denoting propane capability I would be loathe to use it. The butane (blue) 907 bottle than came with my Cali feels to be of lighter material than my propane bottles. The valve is obviously a different system and spec.

The ratio is about 2.25 at 100C. Less at higher temperatures. The ratio at max design temperature is of interest. Obviously the ratio in Butane's unusable range -5C to -40C will be very high but the pressure much lower.

Well, He was asking me about the propane conversion I completed on my German-imported Cali, so it's reasonable to assume he's talking about propane. The entire thread from origin was titled "

Anyone using propane refillable?​

Beg to differ but his post #59 was not about your propane conversion

Propane has 4X the pressure of butane, so unless a container is specifically stamped denoting propane capability I would be loathe to use it. The butane (blue) 907 bottle than came with my Cali feels to be of lighter material than my propane bottles. The valve is obviously a different system and spec.
Where did you find that incorrect information?

5957C2E4-2FE5-4E95-A22D-EAF06D9E20F0.png

Then filled both used empty 907’s with butane.

When I had filled with 2kg, it was leaking badly.
Tried the other 907, same thing after 1Kg.
So both 907’s that I had were faulty.

I've occasionally had leaks when filling if I start with an almost empty cylinder.

After filling part way I do a leak check and if necessary prod the sealing ball bearing down a couple of times with a plastic rod to re-seat it. The pressure of the gas slams it shut against the seal.

A soapy water leak test then showed no bubbles.

Well, He was asking me about the propane conversion I completed on my German-imported Cali, so it's reasonable to assume he's talking about propane. The entire thread from origin was titled "

Anyone using propane refillable?​

I didn’t ask about your propane conversion.
Maybe I didn’t explain my sentence correctly for my sentence within this thread.
I should have said
An update on my experience of filling a butane 907 from a butane 15kg bottle.

Sounds from what you are saying the ball valve inside the cylinder is not seating correctly, had this happen once when I increased the valve, a tap with a brass drift and small hammer on the ball centre will re seat it.
Lol, I’m not tapping anything with brass or a hammer near leaking butane !
Yes I’d use plastic.
I am not wanting sparks to be generated :thumb

Sounds about right to me. Also, I had read somewhere that a little squirt of WD40 or silicone spay on the ball valve can help (WARNING: do NOT take my word for it)
Sounds like a plan, I could try it.

I've occasionally had leaks when filling if I start with an almost empty cylinder.

After filling part way I do a leak check and if necessary prod the sealing ball bearing down a couple of times with a plastic rod to re-seat it. The pressure of the gas slams it shut against the seal.

A soapy water leak test then showed no bubbles.
I like the sound of plastic rod, no spark inducing issues with this

I didn’t ask about your propane conversion.
Maybe I didn’t explain my sentence correctly for my sentence within this thread.
I should have said
An update on my experience of filling a butane 907 from a butane 15kg bottle.
Californication69; If you click through the linked posting of the 5 lb. bottle, one of the images provides dimensions of the 5 lb. compared to a 20 lb. bottle. Those numbers may be helpful to you.

Butane in North America, is unknown and unobtainable in bulk quantities. Additionally as a winter fuel it is useless as it freezes at a much higher temperature than we experience in winters here.
@Doug Curran I also hope you know that the tone on any of my posts are not how I want them to come across. I do respect your way of doing things. I’m an engineer and live to engineer things.
Glad you have your setup sorted.
Sending a virtual Belgium beer across the pond to you Doug :cheers :cheers :cheers
I’m not from Belgium. I’m a Black Country lad.
But like my beer from Belgium

A plastic hammer will never cause a spark.

A plastic hammer will never cause a spark.
Nylon hammer could have a static build up in the right weather and wrong shoes / carpet inducing a static build up ?

Nylon hammer could have a static build up in the right weather and wrong shoes / carpet inducing a static build up ?
As I said a plastic hammer (nylon or other plastic) will never cause a spark.

The Effects of Butane Exposure
It is also highly flammable and can ignite easily through static electricity, open flames, or other ignition sources. As a combustible gas, butane concentrations anywhere between 1.6% and 8.4% can provide an explosive mixture with air.

As I said a plastic hammer (nylon or other plastic) will never cause a spark.
Looks like your right, but you would still need to ground yourself as static could build up from rubbing yourself too quickly with those silk shorts on ;)

A plastic hammer hitting any metal object will never cause a spark.
What about if you drop the brass pin, and it knocks the ashtray over and then it’s curtains

What about if you drop the brass pin, and it knocks the ashtray over and then it’s curtains
What if the steel rings on your fingers hit something metal as you
strike with the plastic hammer.There's a thunderstorm going on and
lightening is coming down right left and centre, and you have a fag in
your mouth for good measure.
Do you think that would be okay, or a bit risky.

What if the steel rings on your fingers hit something metal as you
strike with the plastic hammer.There's a thunderstorm going on and
lightening is coming down right left and centre, and you have a fag in
your mouth for good measure.
Do you think that would be okay, or a bit risky.
A bit risky unless your wearing wellie boots and in your underpants (cotton of course)

I’ll ask baron braveheart to have a go.
Bob

And I called GasLow and they told me they DO fit! Sigh…
The Gaslow cylinder DOES fit and allows rhe screw lid to be put back on. As far as I am concerned, it’s a direct lug and play replacement for the blue Camping Gas cylinder. The stove works just as before. The calorific vale of Propane is higher than Butane but I haven’t tried to determine if my cuppa boils faster.IMG_3249.jpeg

Back