Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aqua forno V Cobb

Re: Aqua forno

Oooh that's special....but pricey!

I'm sure we'll find afew of them finding their way into the back of some cali's :D :D

There were a few people raving about them at CarFest.

You could be the club camping stove tester stu :)

Stu said:
There were a few people raving about them at CarFest.

Stu. My colleague at work went to carfest ( lucky git ) and brought back a program. The aquaforno was advertised in there.

I walked past the stand where they were selling them Chris but didn't really pay too much attention, there was a decent crowd around it. Some friends of ours looked at it and thought it was quite good.

choplee said:

Perhaps not!!

The second CADAC was dropped off in disgust at go Outdoors - A real shame as there are so many things it is good at.

The COBB was tested on Sunday evening with a full roast chicken which was cooked for 30 mins longer than the quoted 1 hour and was still too raw to eat.

Not doing too well with this cooker game.

Stu said:
choplee said:

Perhaps not!!

The second CADAC was dropped off in disgust at go Outdoors - A real shame as there are so many things it is good at.

The COBB was tested on Sunday evening with a full roast chicken which was cooked for 30 mins longer than the quoted 1 hour and was still too raw to eat.

Well fella ... It does seem that you are doing some good tests on these stoves for us ,but sorry they are not doing doing the one thing we want them to do which is do what they claim :-(

Really like the look of this.

DAMN YOU for pointing it out!!!

Stu said:
choplee said:

Perhaps not!!

Stu,

we found cooking on our Cobb a lot more subtle than cooking on a BBQ as it is a more gentle heat. I think it cooks the food better and more thoroughly thou, although it takes longer.

I guess you would not cook a chicken at home without checking its weight for how long to cook it. I don't know how long the Cobb manual recommends but here is Delia on line to give a idea of times for roosting different meats.

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/ ... times.html

Might we worth printing out as a guide to keep in your Cobb Cookbook. :?:

John

we used to have a Cobb last year and sold it as it too up to much room, was awful to clean and you dont get any barby flavour and why would I want to cook a whole chicken when camping? you can buy a ready cooked whole chicken in Tesco for the same price of a cobblestone !

AndyandLiz said:
we used to have a Cobb last year and sold it as it too up to much room, was awful to clean and you dont get any barby flavour and why would I want to cook a whole chicken when camping? you can buy a ready cooked whole chicken in Tesco for the same price of a cobblestone !

Good call guys ...I did look at one someone had last weekend and as much as I really wanted one now I'm not so sure ... I think you have to use one yourself to see if it suits you ,but with a big price tag is it a chance I want to take when I can spend that on something I know I'm going to like ......!!?

I agree that it is probably just as easy to pop down to Tesco and buy a cooked Chicken but that's not in the spirit of being in the Cali, although in some instances it makes sense. Bit like saying well I have a Cali but I can rent a room in a Travel Lodge for £19/night so I'll do that instead.

I sent an email to my contact at COBB asking how they would recommend cooking the chicken (with the two wires rammed up inside it or flat on the tray as in the recipe book) as the chicken didn't cook in the suggested one hour of the recipe book. Reply was, as expected, the book has a typo!!

John, I fully agree ref the cooking times and that's why we left it longer than indicated by the recipe book but we still failed miserably. Must try harder.

I also asked COBB for an idiots guide to putting it all in the bag with out damaging the Non Stick elements and they've sent me a guide which I'll ask Martin to put in the D/Loads section.

If you think a COBB takes up too much room don't even consider a CADAC!! :laugh2

I'm really keen to get to grips with the kitchen in a box idea as I think the theory is great - I just need to put it into practice.

I'm a bit of a clean freak so I couldn't bear to put a used BBQ in the back of my van I'm afraid. We have disposable BBQ's that we take if we want to BBQ but it's becoming common not to allow BBQ's.

I had one for a year and I have to admit I have now sold it for some of the reasons above, we also had a Cadac and did not get on with that either. We have gone back to a more simpler way of cooking and now have extra space in the van.

I agree with everyone on the Cobb issue it's good it's bad it's to big it looks great it cooks good it tajes to long to cook it's a pain to clean it's expensive and takes up to much room in my Cali ...:)
Think I'll stick to me little outback compact u-BBQ,grill,hob,griddle
For now anyway :)

Sorry Chris it seems to moved to more Cobb ,but least it's still a cooking topic :)

A cobblestone is £1.65, never seen a cooked chicken for that yet. It is always possible to fall back to normal bbq bricks if cost becomes a factor but I would not fancy the 40 minute wait for them getting hot when a cobblestone takes 5 mins. Indeed a cooked chicken at the supermarket is about the same as a raw one so on that premise it never makes sense to take one home and cook it.

As for cleaning I have not had an issue as we always clean it whilst it is still warm and up to press it has been fine with washing up liquid.

For a BBQ flavour soak some BBQ smoke wood chips in water and add them when cooking for a more smoky flavour. I am going to give it a go at smoking some fish in it. Took me a year or to get it perfect with a dedicated smoker so may take forever on the Cobb. Hmm or I could put the smoker in the van there's an idea but do I have enough space lol

The homemade pizza we cooked at Happisburgh was a winner and the gingerbread would have been had I not left it on too long and burned one side of it :)

I agree they are not for everyone, as in al things it's subjective and something may come along to make me change my mind but as yet I am very happy COBB camper.

Stu when you perfect that Chicken cooking let me know ;) I may try one this weekend and compare notes.

Can we have a demo at the smg open day jock :)

JockMacMad said:
The Hairy Camper now is it :)

Least it's not the naked chef on your .. Lol

I need to be shown and feed then I can see if I need one jock :) lol lol

JockMacMad said:
Stu when you perfect that Chicken cooking let me know ;) I may try one this weekend and compare notes.

Thankfully the dry run was in the garden at home so it was rescued to a certain extent by putting it in the oven but the Boss was not best pleased.

It's your fault I have one of these things!! After seeing yours at Norwich she whom must be obeyed decreed that one must be purchased without delay. We took it to Carfest but didn't use it so the maiden voyage was the fateful chicken debacle.

I think I made a mistake leaving the lid on immediately after lighting the briquette thingy and it smelled akin to an electric motor burning out, not to mention coating inside the lid with some nasty looking sticky stuff!! Getting the thing to light took some time too - Any tips??