Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best overall BBQ option

G

gatvol

Having looked at a variety of alternatives, I think I have finally got to a decent solution for a pragmatic Cali barbecue that optimises taste with space requirements, cleaning, carrying fuel etc etc - well at least it does for us

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkf4RkbuVl8&feature=relmfu

The Camping Gaz Party Grill costs just £40 and uses the standard gaz cartridges. For the wife and I it offered a number of advantages:

Gaz is widely available
It triples up as a 1. gas burner for al fresco cooking with a regular pan, 2. frying items directly onto its solid plate and 3. barbecuing on its metal "rods"
It is non stick so easy to clean
It comes with its neatly designed carry case that also takes the gaz canister
It acts as a backup burner if your main gaz bottle runs out
The burner is adjustable so offers flexibility when setting grill temperature
I has 4 aluminium legs so does not need to be put on the floor
Dead easy to assemble
Gas BBQs are not as good as the real McCoy, but are pretty good

'er indoors and I have auditioned a number of alternatives to finally determine a winner.

Disposible ones are messy, unadjustable, need standing on something, food tends to stick to them' always a danger that charcoal dust can enter the van when storing them

The Cobb does not sear the meat that well as it does not have the open bars

The griletto son of hibachi talks a good game but does not deliver, is messy, ash is a problem and you need to carry dirty charcoal

The quest goes on, but for now this is the best we can come up with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkf4RkbuVl8& link for any late adopters of technology who are still using a PC.

I also like the fact that you can use this as a regular gas ring for cooking greasy or smelly stuff outside. £40 at Go Outdoors?

You can't beat charcoal for taste though; where its allowed my all time favourite is the Weber Smokey Joe.

I bought my gaz device from go outdoors for £40 or so last year. it has has the click canisters that you can put on and off quickly. We already had the lantern and a little burner unit too and they all use the same style cylinder. it works well and i managed to cook for 5 on it on a family picnic.

I really like the webers, but we can't face dealing with the charcoal, ash and cleaning in a camping scenario. They do make lovely food though and the lid is very useful for UK weather.

We have a Weber Go Anywhere and use Lokkii fuel for pretty hassle free barbecuing (Cobb style bricks without the Cobblestone price tag). Easily the best BBQ we have had, I foolishly left it outside over winter but after a bit of a clean it is fine!

We used to use a gas BBQ (cadac carry chef) but missed the BBQ flavour and found it quite susceptible to wind, much easier for fuel and cleaning than a normal BBQ though.

We did quite a bit of research on grills, looking at what our friends do and other available options, before settling on the Camping Gaz Party Grill 1350W "R" version. This screws into a large camping gaz cylinder, such as the van's 907 (instead of using a small disposable cartridge) and bought a smaller refillable 901 cylinder especially for use with it.

When you take the grill plate off it becomes a normal cooker, a good back-up for the one in the van, or in case you want a brew-up outside.

We got it on-line, about the same price as the disposable cartridge version.

Another vote for the Camping Gaz Party Grill. I've had mine for a few years and used it loads. It's compact and easy to clean. Although it would be nice to have a charcoal BBQ for taste I could not be bothered with dealing with the hot coals or cleaning a greasy grill.

We hire both the Cobb and the Cadac Carri Chef with our Cali's. Originally I preferred the Cobb, but with a family of five to feed, the Cadac just seems to tick more boxes, and size being one of them. In fact this weekend, we did dinner for 8 on it two nights running, no problem. Its expensive, but worth it, especially as it uses the gas from the Cali and it has so many different cooking options. Size is it down side as well, as it takes up a lot of room when travelling, however I would definitely make space for it :D

Link to it;

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/C ... AEA#aCAD74

Not where we brought it from, but a good price

I have been using the Cadac Safari chef for some time and have a low pressure ( can be used on a gas bottle ) and a high pressure ( uses screw on cartridges ) both have been hassle free and compact. Looked a the camping Gaz stuff but I've been using cadac for lots of years with no issues. Picked up my my last high pressure safari for £15 from tesco in clearance last year so a bargain to boot.

Dibz said:
We have a Weber Go Anywhere and use Lokkii fuel for pretty hassle free barbecuing (Cobb style bricks without the Cobblestone price tag). Easily the best BBQ we have had, I foolishly left it outside over winter but after a bit of a clean it is fine!

We used to use a gas BBQ (cadac carry chef) but missed the BBQ flavour and found it quite susceptible to wind, much easier for fuel and cleaning than a normal BBQ though.
Another vote for the Webber GoAnywhere. It's a proper BBQ. Have used ours for last 8 years and been all around uk and Europe with us... I forage for dead wood rather than using coals, burn off the wood then BBQ on the embers. It's always awesome flavour... Spatchcok a chicken it's heaven...

Chris said:
We used to have a cadac but cleaning was a wasted morning.

Hi Chris, I know what you mean, whilst in use, I just give it a light wipe/brush off before use, then for travelling pack it into a black bin liner. It all goes straight in the dishwasher when I get home on a hot wash then, a good wipe off in a hot sink with a scourer, brand new every time. It still takes some effort but not as bad as you make out :thumb

Chris said:
We used to have a cadac but cleaning was a wasted morning.

We now use a bucket BBQ and line it with tin foil. Use charcoal or six pack briquettes ( http://www.bridgebrooke.co.uk/barbies-sixpack.html )
All I have to clean is the grill. throw the tin foil and residue ash away. Wipe the bucket with a wet wipe and pack away.
Nice and simple.
:p

+1 on this approach. We have a BBQ bucket which works well, plus regularly gets used as a fire pit in the summer evenings.

We used to have a Cobb but decided to upgrade to the Lotus Grill, this is by far superior to the Cobb and made in Germany which you can see in the quality.

It is also much much easier to clean, cheaper to run and smaller to store.

http://www.lotusgrill.de/de/index.php

Another weber go anywhere here. Brilliant BBQ used for 6 yrs in my old t4. Rectangular for packing easily. If you take the grill out when you pack it you can fit a fair size bag of charcoal in there saving loads of space. Fits in an idea blue bag to pack in van. You can get spares for it - new grill after 6 yrs £9.

Really controllable with the lid down, have smoked in it, done joints in it, and have cooked for 10 on it before now. Will also take a bit of punishment and heat using it post BBQ as a fire pit with scavenged wood.

My other half (KazzaJ) likes the Party Grill, but I am trying to get her to buy me the Cadac Safari Chef as I want a Broiler. A mate has a gas broiler at home and it's so good and easy to use...

JimJ said:
My other half (KazzaJ) likes the Party Grill, but I am trying to get her to buy me the Cadac Safari Chef as I want a Broiler. A mate has a gas broiler at home and it's so good and easy to use...

If you do buy it from go outdoors using the link that Oli posted as a price match. :thumb

Not only will it be about the cheapest place to buy it but Go Outdoors also have a good returns policy which I would think you'll need. :smile

Should anyone be interested I have a brand new entire lower burner section for a CADAC going cheap.

Yeah - we've got the weber and really love it - for all the reasons you've mentioned. But grass scorching is really a problem on camp sites. Any suggested solutions?? I've been wondering about some kind of heat resistant mat? We've also got the safari for camping in south of France where charcoal is banned - great alternative bbq as it also doubles up as a regular cooker helping to keep cooking smells out of the van.
Phil

We've been using a Tesco garden fire/bbq drum thing. It's essentially a large round steel basin with a grill on the top for food. Chuck in some brickettes and away you go. The grill is large enough for food plus various pans/kettles etc.
Once the cooking is done then pop a few lumps of oak in and you have your camp fire.

Dutch ovens are pretty useful as is the bucket bbq for casseroles/slow cooking with a large pot sitting neatly inside the rim. Set it going and break out the G+T.

For European duty we run a Cadac Safari LP.

S.

I've got a Cadac for when there's no wood and a small stainless steel barrel type charcoal/ wood one for if there's plenty of natural resources.

philcod said:
Yeah - we've got the weber and really love it - for all the reasons you've mentioned. But grass scorching is really a problem on camp sites. Any suggested solutions?? I've been wondering about some kind of heat resistant mat? We've also got the safari for camping in south of France where charcoal is banned - great alternative bbq as it also doubles up as a regular cooker helping to keep cooking smells out of the van.
Phil

Small piece of plywood with some tinfoil on saves the grass.....

Great suggestion - thanks - and I guess if I make it the same size as the grill it'll stow in the bbq :cool !! Sorry :oops:

my 2nd season with an Outback U-compact ......they take the same gas canisters as the portable stoves ...cheap and cheerful gas ;) .....The Outback U -compact works as a griddle,bbq and a stove ....Not really that cheap at £30-50, but it's very compact has a carry case ,built in drip tray and comes in lovely orange ,purple & green :cool: :cool:

cheapest i think is Go outdoors

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/u-bbq-p156236

I love a charcoal BBQ and use Barbies English Charcoal in my "son of hibachi" bbq. After BBQ'ing I close the BBQ up and use it like a chiminea!!