Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aqua forno V Cobb

Re: Aqua forno

I've had twin flame (in case one flame wasn't enough ;-) ) Turbo lighters for a few years - 1/2 still going strong (and currently replacing our Cali's failed ignition :headwall )

Love how you're supposed to be able to solder with them :laugh

I light paper under the cobblestone. That seems to work using just an old school match :)

I have decreed to the boss I will be cooking a roast chicken in the Cobb. I have been informed 'it's just do I can play with my toys'.

Harrumph

Jock, so do none us need to bring our own food on Friday night ? :thumb

Martin said:
Jock, so do none us need to bring our own food on Friday night ? :thumb

Mr jock Cobb

Such a nice guy don't let the name fool you :) lol

JockMacMad said:
I have been informed 'it's just so I can play with my toys'.

I would suggest that if your good lady wants to watch you play with your toys you ought to be able to watch her playing with toys :shocked :laugh2

A question for all you Cobb owners out there - Does your Griddle (with the Cobb logo facing down) fit inside the frying pan??

According to my newly acquired storage instructions, which I must say are quite good, it says it should and mine doesn't.

Okay, so I don't post much because I haven't got a Cali.......yet, but I do have a Cobb!

I have used it loads lately and can't rate it highly enough. First time I used it I tried a chicken and was disappointed as I too had to finish it off on the oven. I had Used the cobblestone and found that after an hour and a half it had lost too much heat, hence finishing in the oven. 

I looked on You Tube and watched a demonstration with normal briquets, the plus side here is as you start to loose heat you just add a few more, kept mine going for 3 1/2 hours, having initially used 15 briquets then after 2hrs added another 4-5. initial heat up time from lighting was around 20 mins with two firelighters.  I'm still on the first bag of briquets that cost £5 compared to the cobblestones that are expensive. 

I cooked a large chicken (turned every 20mins) and took around 2hrs then put some oven chips in, they took 25mins and were nice and crispy and tasted better than in the oven. The chicken tasted fantastic and retains its moisture. 

I've since done a beef joint, and the usual burgers and sausages, I still get the smoked taste, probably because of using briquets. 

The only use I see for the cobblestone is perhaps a quick BBQ down the beach sausages etc, otherwise it just looses heat too quickly. 

I get the comments ref is it a true BBQ, personally I don't think so, I treat it more like an oven, it cooks quick if you resist the urge to keep lifting the lid, but still has a smoked taste. I'd imagine with the Cali lacking an oven this would be the ideal accessory?

Everyone I have cooked for comments on how nice the meat tastes, which is better than the comments I used to get on the old standard BBQ with my burnt burgers!

Ref cleaning I couldn't disagree more, this is much easier to clean, when at home I just chuck it all in the dishwasher, when away, once I have finished cooking I fill the flavour well with soapy water, this is then left to heat with the remaining briquets. Once cool it just wipes clean. The griddle washes up fine as its non stick. 

Hope this helps people make an informed choice, hopefully one day I can comment on my Cali!!

Tony. 

Thanks Tony for your input about the Cobb great post.

I will try some of your ideas as I presently use the Cobblestones. Also I like the idea of adding soapy water with the remaining briquets still warm that sounds a great way to get rid of the fat that builds up in the bottom of the flavor well. :D

Good luck with the Cali and hopefully your get one soon. You are always welcome to come along to one of the clubs meetings if you want to look at some Cali's and have a good chat with some of the club members. :thumb

John

Thanks John, we would love to come to one of the meetings. Once our son starts school it frees up the child care costs which will hopefully enable us to purchase a Cali. The forums great, I feel that I know so much about them, even though I've never stepped foot I
In one!

John said:
Thanks Tony for your input about the Cobb great post.

I will try some of your ideas as I presently use the Cobblestones. Also I like the idea of adding soapy water with the remaining briquets still warm that sounds a great way to get rid of the fat that builds up in the bottom of the flavor well. :D

Good luck with the Cali and hopefully your get one soon. You are always welcome to come along to one of the clubs meetings if you want to look at some Cali's and have a good chat with some of the club members. :thumb

John

Took my new Cobb on a recent trip to France and managed to cook:

Warm Coissants followed by Eggy Bread for Breakfast.
Chicken fillets in a sweet chilli marinade
Croque Monsiuers
Sausages and burgers.

Was very impressed, even if my cooking abilities are limited!

Having said that it does take up quite a bit of space, although neatly sits on the lower shelf between the push chair wheels. Also i guess it needs to be outside, in the open air due to carbon monoxide.

I was very impressed with the Cadac a friend had brought with them. Gas is so much easier....

I was also very impressed with a George Foreman electric grill for panini's etc...

Will probably take a few more trips to finally decide... but I think overall travelling with friends who like cooking is the best plan ;)

Re Cobb, we used a couple of times last week in Cornwall and found it slow and didn't cook as quick as expected. We spent most of the time using a portable gas stove like the one in the link below

http://www.towsure.com/product/Portable_Cartridge_Stove

you can also buy a stove top grill to turn it into a BBQ if preferred.

http://www.towsure.com/product/NonStick_Stove_Top_Grill

One thing we did try on the Cobb though is using a meths burner (eg Trangia) which worked well for breakfasts and is quick to get going.