Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best overall BBQ option

I have a son of hibachi and have been disappointed, which could well be my lack of skill.

Does yours self clean? which to me was the key selling point. I found that mine didn't and I ended up with soot, ash and charcoal dust on the grills when I tried the self cleaning thing. I first tried charcoal which fell through the grills. So then moved to heat beads which were better as they area uniform size so stacked better when vertical in the lighting position.

I like the concept, but it now stands unused

Thanks

I've had it for several years and never needed to do any more than really get it hot after each cooking session!!

I've found you need to have plenty of life left in your fuel, hence my use of the slow long burning Barbies Charcoal, and then close up sliding the tray at the bottom out by around 2" and leave a similar gap at the top to really draw the air through!!... it is possible using this method to get a real furnace style flame out of the top of the BBQ and burn off all of the nasties!!

Thanks, I will give it another chance. For home use it has been fine cleaning it etc but I wanted minimal cleaning and storage effort for the Cali as we seemed to use a lot of fuel to get the self clean thing to do much

The wife much prefers the food done on the son of hibachi, but then she walks away and leaves me to deal with the fuel buying, the lighting and aftermath.

Have been looking for a new bbq after setting fire to the paint on the cheapo bucket bbq cooking marshmellows on a wood fire last year :lol:

The Son of Hibatchi - is it big enough and robust enough have small dutch oven sat on one side? It looks ideal, but I can't find any dimentions.

ta, dan

It is quite small.... I would say you can get around 10 sausages per side (20 in total) or maybe 6 big burgers per side (12 in total), this is normally plenty for us... I have happily cooked regularly for 4/5 blokes at the British Grand Prix on it!

Thanks, that sounded big enough to us, so we went ahead and got one.

A small (4L) dutch oven does just fit :)

file_zpsb646dae3.jpg

Here's to a delicious summer!
dan

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Thanks, that sounded big enough to us, so we went ahead and got one.

A small (4L) dutch oven does just fit :)

file_zpsb646dae3.jpg

Here's to a delicious summer!
dan

Fantastic!!... Enjoy!!