Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are the beach lights really that bad?

Digging up and old thread...I have only had my 2013 Beach for a couple of months. The lights are awful. I purchased some Philips Racing Vision bulbs to replace the fitted glow worms only to find out there were some already in situ. Great!

I'm now on the trail of aftermarket LED headlight units and will replace both headlights. If anyone has any reasonably priced suggestions, please can they let me know

Thanks

Digging up and old thread...I have only had my 2013 Beach for a couple of months. The lights are awful. I purchased some Philips Racing Vision bulbs to replace the fitted glow worms only to find out there were some already in situ. Great!

I'm now on the trail of aftermarket LED headlight units and will replace both headlights. If anyone has any reasonably priced suggestions, please can they let me know

Thanks
Hopefully Loz or someone may assist but I think it is not a simple upgrade to LED. Maybe source used H7 units might be easier.

Hopefully Loz or someone may assist but I think it is not a simple upgrade to LED. Maybe source used H7 units might be easier.

That may well be the right way to go. I'm open to suggestions and have started emailing a few suppliers to see what will fit. Looks like LED DRL's with H1/H7's are available

I have the HID LED DRL lights and they are brilliant(!) on dip and main beams. My van is a dealer demo Transporter Highline so I didn't spec them but they are good. I am dreading having to replace one if they damaged as the cost is phenomenal.

My mate has just upgraded his headlights on his T6 after buying new units off ebay and they are an improvement which is a surprise considering they are aftermarket and not genuine. Think they cost him around £600 for the pair.

I've just ordered some new aftermarket headlight units. Asked a couple of friends what they have used and have gone the H1/H7 with LED DRL and sequential indicator route from TransporterHQ.

I've just ordered some new aftermarket headlight units. Asked a couple of friends what they have used and have gone the H1/H7 with LED DRL and sequential indicator route from TransporterHQ.
Let us know how you get on and photo's please. Sounds good:thumb

How do you know what type of lamp is fitted when buying 2nd hand? Apart from the Leds are obvious leds

How do you know what type of lamp is fitted when buying 2nd hand? Apart from the Leds are obvious leds

Lift the bonnet up. Pull the rubber boot off the back of the appropriate headlight unit. Push the bulb retainer clip downwards until it clicks open and then remove the bulb. Takes about a minute

Genuine Xenons with DRL LEDs come up on said bidding websites from time to time. I picked up a decent pair for an old golf mk5 a few years back. Worth a try.

Genuine Xenons with DRL LEDs come up on said bidding websites from time to time. I picked up a decent pair for an old golf mk5 a few years back. Worth a try.
You need light washers which involves replacing the bumper which makes it expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, they really are that bad.

After a trip to the Lakes, during which the feeble glow from the H4's was totally inadequate, I fitted Philips X-treme Vision +130% bulbs. The replacements are MUCH brighter and cast a white light which eliminates the uncertainty associated with driving at night in candlelight.

At £19.99 a pair it's a low cost upgrade and life expectancy is 400 - 450 hours. I ordered a second set today as spares so as not to be caught without when they eventually fail.

Just to add that, despite reports on here and other forums, I found the bulbs easy to replace without removing the battery cover or air box. An articulated inspection mirror made the job much easier and now has a home in the glove compartment.

Last edited:
Tha
Lift the bonnet up. Pull the rubber boot off the back of the appropriate headlight unit. Push the bulb retainer clip downwards until it clicks open and then remove the bulb. Takes about a minute
Thanks. So you have to take the bulb out and look at it.

Couldn’t you just look at the light (from outside the van) with dip beam on and then full beam and check they are separate reflectors within the lamp unit (both being lit on full beam)?

Couldn’t you just look at the light (from outside the van) with dip beam on and then full beam and check they are separate reflectors within the lamp unit (both being lit on full beam)?

That wont tell you what make the bulbs are.

New lights fitted. They are noticeably better than the stock items with upgraded bulbs.

Hey all - we have a T6 Beach and the headlights are diabolically bad. It's really not illuminating the road ahead much unless on full beam. I know the full upgrade is very pricey, and I wondered if anyone had found a cheap workaround, like simply replacing the bulbs. Is that possible?

Short term I've ordered a set of these as they are meant to make it better.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NMEEOV2/?tag=eliteelect-21

Long term I'm looking for a set of the H7 light units but they don't seem to come up for sale very often.

I thought I'd ordered my van with the H7 lights but it seems there was a miscommunication with the dealer early on (my quote I showed him listed exterior pack and the one I got back didn't then I presumed lights & vision would have included it). All very frustrating but I'll get there in the end.

Some negative reviews on Amazon with regard to their longevity. How long you had yours @Fast Freddie

I have the Phillips racing 150% on the T6 but got the new GE Megalight Ultra 150% for our Citroen and found that I prefer the GE bulb as it seems to be whiter and giver a better light on the road.
Phillips about 18months and Ge about 12 months use with no failures as yet.

Press recommendations vary over time. top one time drops down next time and ones that weren't top suddenly are. Just helps to confuse the issue.

This shows what's on the market for Halogen.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018

Last edited:
Some negative reviews on Amazon with regard to their longevity. How long you had yours @Fast Freddie
A few months but the Cali is not a daily driver - I reviewed lots of brighter bulbs and they all seemed to have the risk of lasting less long than a standard one - I guess as they all burn brighter that must mean they burn hotter, so will fail sooner.

For me the additional brightness was the key factor so I thought I'd go for it using a recognised brand that seemed to have mid reviews in terms of brightness v longevity. I covered the risk by carrying a spare set too - so I have them in the van, plus a spare set in the boot. So far so good but I would not be a typical user as we use the Cali for long journeys and holidays.

Sorry I can't give you a more robust answer!

I know you've probably checked so sorry if you have but they aren't lowered all the way down are they?

Back