Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are you trying to decide about seat covers?

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have posted this in the beginners section simply because I have seen a lot of posts regarding arrival of your new T6.1's after huge delays so......you lucky campers!!

Other than that, this topic has been discussed many times and is old hat anywhere else but my story is this.
I bought my Ocean new in 2017 and given the price of any decent seat cover I went for cheaper tan coloured waterproof covers that have undeniably done a great job for 4 years,
But they have always spoiled the look of the interior and when I could afford new Brandrup 2nd skins they stopped making my fabric design so I have been on the look out ever since.
Today I fitted some used ones bought right here in the for sale section.
The question I have now is how come it took me so long.
I'm not in this to recommend Brandrup per se. But just to say if you want to protect your seats and still have a feel good factor about the interior....go do it!
Video available shortly.
Apologies for the audio but the passenger seat is the one with the cover on.

Very beautiful, really. But to hard to get on and off for me. We opted for SurfBag's quick-to-assemble and removable covers, which are made of material that they use to make… bags for surfboards :D Easy to clean and that's a good thing because when I see what they look like after traveling with the four of us for a few weeks now. So after the trip they are washed and they go on again just before the next trip. In between, for commuting, I sit on the original upholstery, it’s destined for that.

Yes @calibusje a very valid way to look at it.
I contemplated removing the waterproof ones just for commuting and using the upholstered seats but a little bit of laziness and a little bit of a protective nature just stopped me.
One day...oh yes one day I'm going to sit on those suckers !!!!! ;):D

I went for the Jackyards covers. They’re lovely but some people worry about airbag deployment (unnecessarily l think/hope). I can’t see the airbags being unable to punch their through a thin strip of Velcro. To be on the safe side I only attached the part that covers the airbag stitching with the tiniest sliver of the Velcr.

I went for the Jackyards covers. They’re lovely but some people worry about airbag deployment (unnecessarily l think/hope). I can’t see the airbags being unable to punch their way through a thin strip of Velcro. To be on the safe side I only attached the part that covers the airbag stitching with the tiniest sliver of the Velcro.

@orbital These Brandrup ones are stitched the same as the seats are which according to something I read means the strength has been calculated by computer.
We have 2 choices, trust that the airbags power has way more energy than the rating for the original seat so much so that it can tear 2 lots or in your case 1 lot and some velcro which in my opinion should be easier still, or rely on there never being a need for them to deploy.
That said I think Brandrup have tested their covers.

Very beautiful, really. But to hard to get on and off for me. We opted for SurfBag's quick-to-assemble and removable covers, which are made of material that they use to make… bags for surfboards :D Easy to clean and that's a good thing because when I see what they look like after traveling with the four of us for a few weeks now. So after the trip they are washed and they go on again just before the next trip. In between, for commuting, I sit on the original upholstery, it’s destined for that.
Do you have a link please?

DriveDressy.... German quality, expensive but many options and a good fit.

What I will say about the BRANDRUP second seat covers is the instructions are dreadful. Like so bad I would be willing to write them for free to save the pain for anyone else.

What I will say about the BRANDRUP second seat covers is the instructions are dreadful. Like so bad I would be willing to write them for free to save the pain for anyone else.
I'm sure you are right given the Isotop instructions I used.
But mine were pre owned and never came with any instructions and actually, if you don't rush fitting them I found it quite straight forward wothout any instructions (could be better off without them :Nailbiting).
I think the GTI ones may be different but the standard 2nd skins had 3 moments for long pauses for me.
1) attaching the front bungee's under the bench seat (took out tool box out of the luggage space, laid flat on my back with an appropriately placed torch and my other half pushed them through under the cushion from the front. Then once I grabbed them I clipped them to the slim seat bars).The rear end bungees were fitted to the same underside bars but far more intuitive and accessible.
2) Sussing out which way around the head rests should fit (I managed to fit them both ways even though they are very tight the tilt but the back head rests are the give away).
3) Making sure your front seat covers are nicely positioned and you have adjusted the seat position to get access before you attach the velcro under the front edge.

Back