Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ascot Grey

I've really grown to like it as a colour, or rather as a lack of colour. One thing is the ugly dumbbell plastic across the bottom, it really stick out on lighter colours. Would have to consider having it sprayed to match.

Beach presentation in German in Ascot Grey:

I know it changes with the light, but the loan van I had was Ascot grey & 99% of the time it looked the colour of the 2nd T Roc picture - a washed out hearing aid beige, not grey at all. Its one colour that we had seriously considered but having seen it in the flesh Its the one colour I wouldn't order.
Having said that - strangely I do like the candy white / ascot two tone..
without wanting to diminish your experience, the weather conditions cloudy, sunny, bright sun, rain (of course also during the day versus at night ;)) do indeed make the shades between the grey and almost white appearance of the colour.
Before deciding to choose this colour, I looked at ascot grey vans at the dealer several times in different weather conditions and also inside the showroom under lights and with large windows (even different times of the day). I really wanted to be sure of this base colour which to me gives a great retro feel to a modern campervan, that's how I wanted it.
I pass the dealer twice a day if I want to while driving to work, hence the many opportunities. Some days it could certainly be a darker colour but I never saw beige in it (I wouldn't want beige for a vehicle).
The weather conditions/light intensity made you decide to choose an undoubtedly very nice other colour. Good for you!
Somehow I am also glad that not everyone is crazy about the colour because man, so many ascot grey Californias have already been ordered or have already been delivered :D
Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited:
As we live on the French Riviera, and many of our trips will be local weekends away, and trips to the likes of Spain, Portugal, and the Tenerife,, we wanted a light colored Cali. Black pearl or some of the other dark colors would be hell here June through September, also dark paintwork has a tendency to peel here after a number of years, the sun is too strong. I couple that to an off white VW T2 Westfalia I saw in a book on VW Campers, and the choice was easy. Had I lived in the UK I’d have opted for Grey Indium I think.

to be sure of this base colour which to me gives a great retro feel to a modern campervan, that's how I wanted it
without wanting to diminish your experience, the weather conditions cloudy, sunny, bright sun, rain (of course also during the day versus at night ;)) do indeed make the shades between the grey and almost white appearance of the colour.
Before deciding to choose this colour, I looked at ascot grey vans at the dealer several times in different weather conditions and also inside the showroom under lights and with large windows (even different times of the day). I really wanted to be sure of this base colour which to me gives a great retro feel to a modern campervan, that's how I wanted it.
I pass the dealer twice a day if I want to while driving to work, hence the many opportunities. Some days it could certainly be a darker colour but I never saw beige in it (I wouldn't want beige for a vehicle).
The weather conditions/light intensity made you decide to choose an undoubtedly very nice other colour. Good for you!
Somehow I am also glad that not everyone is crazy about the colour because man, so many ascot gray Californias have already been ordered or have already been delivered :D
Greetings
Calibusje
I wonder if it would self well, VW California, in hearing aid grey? :happy ;)

Hello,
I’ve just joined today because I’ve just collected my first VW California. Posting on this thread first because I’ve avidly read it, ahead of selecting Ascot Grey as colour choice having never seen it in person. Thanks for all your opinions on!
My experience today, on arriving at dealership, seeing it at a distance I do admit a slight heart sink that it looked a bit too yellow, creamy in the light it was in. However, all doubts swept aside when I saw it close up .. it’s a lovely pale grey and on following in car behind my husband driving it home .. I loved the colour even more.
All the more interesting that perception of colour changes depending on light. I’m very happy with the choice we made.

Hello,
I’ve just joined today because I’ve just collected my first VW California. Posting on this thread first because I’ve avidly read it, ahead of selecting Ascot Grey as colour choice having never seen it in person. Thanks for all your opinions on!
My experience today, on arriving at dealership, seeing it at a distance I do admit a slight heart sink that it looked a bit too yellow, creamy in the light it was in. However, all doubts swept aside when I saw it close up .. it’s a lovely pale grey and on following in car behind my husband driving it home .. I loved the colour even more.
All the more interesting that perception of colour changes depending on light. I’m very happy with the choice we made.
That’s for sure, I've seen one driving around in ascot grey this week and it's beautiful. Congratulations and have fun!

Last edited:
Hi CaliAzur, Nice to see these pics. We have ordered almost exactly the same specs and color. However we have to wait another 6 months or so ;-)
We did too, re almost exactly the spec and colour. We’d been waiting over a year for and build date pushed forward many times and we weren’t due to have it until Feb’22 at earliest . So we were surprised to get notification last week it was ready to collect this week ! Got it yesterday and we live in NE Scotland. Hadn’t seen colour before buying , hadn’t seen in person the interior choices we made but we are VERY happy with all of it.
Hope you get yours very soon.

93BE9839-D82C-4220-A9A3-09A15B347C7C.jpeg
2021 Ascot grey and across the way 1967 (something) cream. The owner of Gorgeous George couldn’t remember the factory colour, but perhaps Ascot was inspired by it?Ascot clearly greyer than the heritage cream.