Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Atera Evo bike rack and T6 Ocean

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My Atera Evo Bike rack fitted my T5 and the rear door could be opened once the rack had been slid back. The detachable tow bar was an after market one. My new T6 has the VW detachable tow bar and, on full rearward travel it does not allow the door to open, I have tried a number of times without success, the rack simply sits too high? Is there something I am doing wrong? The standard VW towbar is a Westfalia.

I've got the Evo rack with VW detachable tow bar on a T5 and it has never quite cleared without folding the rear support. With several bikes on they almost end up self supporting and can be left with the frame part collapsed while opening the door. With just one bike on I tend to hold the support while opening the door then lock it off again after

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I've got the Evo rack with VW detachable tow bar on a T5 and it has never quite cleared without folding the rear support. With several bikes on they almost end up self supporting and can be left with the frame part collapsed while opening the door. With just one bike on I tend to hold the support while opening the door then lock it off again after

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Interesting cwriggy, it was sold as fitting the California irrespective of model. Towbars should surely all be a standard height.

Tom

You might find there's a little bit of wiggle room to adjust the direction the rack sits before you tighten it up with the lever.

You might find there's a little bit of wiggle room to adjust the direction the rack sits before you tighten it up with the lever.
NickD, I have used the wiggle room and more! As I "close" the lever, the rack rises, I am reluctant to stop prematurely as the last thing I want is a swinging rack! I have just written to the vendors asking them as it is sold as suitable for the T6.

Tom

I remember seeing some reports that the Evo doesn't quite fit although the Atera Strada is ok.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I was about to order an Evo assuming it would work, now worried it won't. I was going to go for the Strada DL as it slides back slightly further, but unfortunately it's too short for my bikes to fit.

Have you tried folding the rear part of the frame in slightly, from memory on my old rack you could fold that in a touch while the bikes were still attached. Alternatively could you perhaps loosen off the rack on the towball to lower it a bit (as you say, it rises up when locked). Those two things together might be enough to give you enough space.

Please report back on what you find out, holding off my purchase until I hear more!

I have the Atera Strada Evo3, and with no bikes on and the bar up, you need to pull the bar away from the van to open the boot.
With 1 bike on, the boot can open, no problem. With 3 bikes on you can almost stand in between the bike rack and the bootlid.
I have an original fixed towbar (Westfalia).
My father has a Multivan T6, also with a fixed Westfalia towbar, and it works the same as my T5.
As the T5 and T6 are the same model from 2003, there shouldn't be a difference between them.
Maybe the detachable towbar had changed?
The top of my towbar is slightly lower than my bumper. How is yours?

This is how much lower my empty van is, compared to an empty Multivan. The towbars are at the same height from the rear bumper.

IMG_20180801_174736.jpg
The towbars are at the same height from the bumper

Hmmm, I was about to order an Evo assuming it would work, now worried it won't. I was going to go for the Strada DL as it slides back slightly further, but unfortunately it's too short for my bikes to fit.

Have you tried folding the rear part of the frame in slightly, from memory on my old rack you could fold that in a touch while the bikes were still attached. Alternatively could you perhaps loosen off the rack on the towball to lower it a bit (as you say, it rises up when locked). Those two things together might be enough to give you enough space.

Please report back on what you find out, holding off my purchase until I hear more!
DDCook, I am in Edinburgh too, you are welcome to try my rack. 07759211902

I have the Atera Strada Evo3, and with no bikes on and the bar up, you need to pull the bar away from the van to open the boot.
With 1 bike on, the boot can open, no problem. With 3 bikes on you can almost stand in between the bike rack and the bootlid.
I have an original fixed towbar (Westfalia).
My father has a Multivan T6, also with a fixed Westfalia towbar, and it works the same as my T5.
As the T5 and T6 are the same model from 2003, there shouldn't be a difference between them.
Maybe the detachable towbar had changed?
The top of my towbar is slightly lower than my bumper. How is yours?

View attachment 44960
This is how much lower my empty van is, compared to an empty Multivan. The towbars are at the same height from the rear bumper.

View attachment 44961
The towbars are at the same height from the bumper
TripleB, thanks, interesting. The relationship with the rear bumper is the important one for door opening though the overall height can restrict the movement backwards, especially when loaded. When it stops raining I will check the relative towball to bumper height.

Tom

PS I like the dealer name in the top photo.

Updated photos illustrating the issue.

Tom

20190518_091514.jpg

20190518_090737.jpg

I have the Strada DL3 with 4th bike extension and find that there is some vertical variation possible when clamping on the towball of my T6 Ocean with standard removable towbar.
Sometimes the tailgate won’t quite clear the top of the rack as in the photos above, but if I loosen the clamp on the towball slightly and reposition then it just clears ok. The clamp still tightens fine.
I imagine that the Evo uses the same clamp mechanism.
I did see a post on here a number of months ago comparing the removable towballs fitted to BMWs which I think are also Westfalia and project further back, and I believe are compatible.

I believe the clamp is the same however the DL slides back an extra 20mm compared to the Evo so gives a bit more clearance due to that.
I ordered the Strada DL3 originally but they (Roofbox Coy) changed it to the Evo due to availability and the fact I carry E bikes, the Evo has a higher weight limit. Put simply, it would appear the Evo 3 is not suitable for T6 unless you only want to open the tailgate a short way.

Tom

Which is annoying as in every other way the Evo is a better rack, plus not all my bikes will fit on the DL as as the wheelbase is too long.....
Think I've exhausted all other options from Thule etc, choice is a rack that clears the boot but doesn't fit all my bikes, or one that fits all the bikes but doesn't clear the tailgate.

Which is annoying as in every other way the Evo is a better rack, plus not all my bikes will fit on the DL as as the wheelbase is too long.....
Think I've exhausted all other options from Thule etc, choice is a rack that clears the boot but doesn't fit all my bikes, or one that fits all the bikes but doesn't clear the tailgate.
To be honest I am still very pleased with the Evo rack, I have a long wheelbase mountain bike and it fits easily, we toured France and Spain for a month earlier this year in our T5 and no issues at all. I can put up with the smaller opening, it just means I need to plan better but I do feel slightly miffed with the vendor. Still much more user friendly than the VW standard rack - imho.

Tom

Have you tried it with the Heavy E bikes on. You might find you get the extra movement that allows the tailgate to clear the Upright.
Thanks WG, I have and it still does not allow the tailgate to open, it is certainly closer but still not enough. It did work on my T5 which had an aftermarket detachable tow ball and that slightly puzzles me?

Tom

Make sure when you install the rack, that the pin on the head of the attachment gets in the green zone. If it is still only red visible, the rack is not installed properly, and might bee too high mounted to the rear or the rack, making it placed at a wrong angle.
Maybe because of the new, unused towbar, everything fits much tighter and might be more difficult to install that rack.
Had mine installed once, until I noticed the green was not yet visible. I adjusted it, and the bike rack lowerd a bit at the front, but a "lot" more at the back, giving it more space to open the tailgate.

"The Atera EVO 3 does not enable the T5 or T6 tailgate to be opened" I have received a response from the Roofbox company. So it would appear that, of the Atera models, only the Strada DL3 allows the tailgate to open however it has a lesser carrying capacity which does not suit my needs. Funnily enough the Evo 3 did allow the tailgate to open on my T5, probably my after market detachable tow ball helped. Thanks to all who responded.

Tom

"The Atera EVO 3 does not enable the T5 or T6 tailgate to be opened" I have received a response from the Roofbox company. So it would appear that, of the Atera models, only the Strada DL3 allows the tailgate to open however it has a lesser carrying capacity which does not suit my needs. Funnily enough the Evo 3 did allow the tailgate to open on my T5, probably my after market detachable tow ball helped. Thanks to all who responded.

Tom

Tom.
I had read this elsewhere.
The Evo won’t fit. Has to be the DL3.
I can confirm my DL3 fits fine on my T6 and the tailgate opens. Although it’s very close.

I can confirm that with the Atera Strada Evo3, the tailgate opens on both a T5.1 and T6.
With no bikes on and the bar down, no problem. With no bikes on and the bar up you need to pull the bar.
With 1 or 2 or 3 bikes on, the tailgate can open without help.

Thought I'd report back on my own experience, 2016 T6 with factory fit Westfalia removable towbar. Despite most evidence that it wouldn't fit, I decided to try the Strada Evo anyway, as to my mind it's a much better rack, the extra distance between the bikes, longer wheelbase compatibility and removable clamping arms makes a big difference in ease of fitting bikes on in my experience. Plus Roofbox do free exchange so figured it was risk free if I really wasn't happy.

As most others have found, the tailgate comes close to opening but doesn't quite clear it (photo 1), however it does open enough that you can easily get under the tailgate to access the boot (2). However as some others have found the extra weight from additional bikes makes a big difference, in my case 2 mountain bikes and a kids bike gets the tailgate even closer to opening (3), and all it needs is a gentle pull on the bar at the back of the rack, or if you prefer unlock that bar to move the bikes forward slightly, and the tailgate opens fine (4), I actually think that once I have a 4th bike adapter and 4th bike on, the weight of bikes alone might make it clear.

So in short for me I'd say it does fit. It's not even a faff to get it to open, just a gentle pull on the bar and that's it, it's a 1 person job.

IMG_20190609_112406.jpg

IMG_20190609_112415.jpg

IMG_20190609_115242.jpg

IMG_20190609_115324.jpg

Last edited: