Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Automatic

A

angconcerts

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi is an automatic just as good as manual? Any pros and cons advice? Thanks

where's that can of worms when you need it? :)

IMHO I think the DSG is better, but you might as well have put up a poll on this, as each will defend their choice.
Aw really I didn’t realise. I’m new to it all. I personally would rather have an automatic but just wondered if mechanically there was a huge difference. Like you said probably a case of each to their own. Thanks for reply
Muc

When I used to have a 6 speed manual car i frequently forgot to change up to 6th gear. years of 5 speed and 4+overdrive gearboxed cars, even 16 gear HGV's previously.
with 7 gears I let the DSG worry about what gear to be in.

It is not very good at reversing up slopes and with a trailer on this operation is frustrating.

With rain sensing wipers, anti-lock brakes, climate control etc it is just another driving aid.

It’s worth saying that you should understand the differences between the earlier Tiptronic and the later DSG ‘autos’, the change coming around 2010.

I am happy with my manual. No servicing needed, like DSG oil changes every 60 000 km/4 year.
As I just use the van for commuting and longer trips (1000 km journeys), I don't really miss the DSG. When driving on the péages in France for 300 km, I change up to 6th gear, put on the cruise control, and I don't have to change gears for 300 km. So no real use for me.
The only real breakdowns you can have with a manual is the clutch, or a problem with the gearbox itself. Will cost you some ££, but less than a new DSG.
DSG needs maintenance of the oil, and eventually clutch or gearbox problems. And they are more expensive than a manual gearbox.

So in the end it is up to you. Do you really need/miss it? Go for DSG. If not, you have to choose.

My previous Comfortline was automatic. When searching for a new van I decided to have everything manual, so less rupture possibility, less money to spend in, and so on (consider I keep the van a lot of years after warranty exp, Comfortline had 13 years and 250000 km). So I bought a T6 beach, manual gear, manual roof, happy with my choice, but God, I miss automatic so much.

.... wish I had manual instead of DSG to be honest

We just changed to a manual - I just feel more in control. Especially going down hills and reversing. It's a personal choice..........and, a gut feeling, it's a lot tougher than a DSG.

Hi is an automatic just as good as manual? Any pros and cons advice? Thanks
We prefer automatic, it’s a real plus on long distance drives or in slow moving traffic jams. Works for us, but it’s not for everyone.

I’ve got a 4wd 204 DSG and would never go back to a manual car again. We live at 1000 ft in the Pennines with access by a steep farm track.

I have a DSG 150, not sure if they all came with paddles behind steering wheel but mine did, initially I thought they were to turn music up and down but on trying them out got a different engine note instead!!
Purpose of this post is to comment on hill descent of autos effectively 'running away'. Just change down as often as needed with paddles, DSG won't go into too low a gear if it would over rev. Just had a month of continual mountain driving in Norway and rarely had to use brakes except on long steep descents.

I went manual after trying dsg Californias and owning a 180dsg motorhome ...I test drove a dsg Cali to try to decide and it was good,...
i have owned and a few manual Californias ...so just for simplicity I went manual...didn’t really need dsg .....as above when we get on motorways I just click Cruze control in 6th .....the only time I find dsg useful is in traffic jams ..I find the feel of a clutch better on a campsite and in the alps in winter...but it’s a tricky one to decide and only you know

Our Beach is 150bhp manual and works well for us. We prefer a manual van as it can easily be bump started if you should end up with a flat battery, and easily towed should you get stuck in a field.

Our runabout car is 247bhp DSG 4x4 with flappy paddles which is good fun. Super smooth, Auto is better in traffic (& snow, but we don’t get much !) but costs more to service and has a lot more to go wrong.

Manual / Auto both have their benefits so down to personal choice.

I suggest you try both and make your own mind up.
Some prefer manual, some automatic. For us its manual as we feel it gives more overall control especially reversing.

I suggest you try both and make your own mind up.
Some prefer manual, some automatic. For us it's automatic. the opposite to @briwy

Last edited:
We prefer a manual van as it can easily be bump started if you should end up with a flat battery, and easily towed should you get stuck in a field.

I was told by the AA you would not start a diesel by bumping " When normally starting a modern diesel engine, it typically uses glowplugs to preheat the cylinders. If a battery is completely discharged then it may not provide the necessary electrical power to "glow" the glowplugs, making the push starting of a diesel vehicle with a dead battery almost impossible." How many campers would it take to push a Cali anyway?

I was told by the AA you would not start a diesel by bumping " When normally starting a modern diesel engine, it typically uses glowplugs to preheat the cylinders. If a battery is completely discharged then it may not provide the necessary electrical power to "glow" the glowplugs, making the push starting of a diesel vehicle with a dead battery almost impossible." How many campers would it take to push a Cali anyway?
It's also very difficult to bump start a vehicle that needs to have the clutch depressed during starting

As the OP had a preference for Auto but concerns around reliability then all this talk of buying a manual for reliability is misguided. Complexity doesnt = unreliabilty per se otherwise our modern vehicles would be less reliable than one from the sixties but they are not.
In respect of the DSG / Auto provided its not an early generation design then an Auto will have a lower cycle cost than a manual. Why ? Because None of my Autos in the last 20 years has ever failed but a number of my manuals have due to DMF / Release bearing/ Centre plate wear.
Most recent is 2013 Citigo at 34000 miles with knackered cover plate and centre pate due to no DMF, so its simple but unreliable.
DSG does required more maintenance but not at a high cost as an oil change every 40k is about £200 and thats it.
So OP my suggestion is buy a late T5 onwards DSG and you will be fine Im sure.

Our Beach is 150bhp manual and works well for us. We prefer a manual van as it can easily be bump started if you should end up with a flat battery, and easily towed should you get stuck in a field.

Our runabout car is 247bhp DSG 4x4 with flappy paddles which is good fun. Super smooth, Auto is better in traffic (& snow, but we don’t get much !) but costs more to service and has a lot more to go wrong.

Manual / Auto both have their benefits so down to personal choice.

When was the last time you bump started a car ? DSG easily towed out a field just put it in N.

When was the last time you bump started a car ? DSG easily towed out a field just put it in N.

Bump started last year in Rest Bay, Porthcawl with friendly 2 pushers.

Our DSG car is Quattro and they advise to move with a flatbed to avoid damage to the Diff, so would rather not risk it as they are costly to repair. TheT6 4motion must have a different system.

@angconcerts - Now the can of worms is open.
I had concerns when we were looking for our 1st Cali back in 2012. We found the ideal van but it was DSG not manual we went for it - had never driven an auto box before. in 2016 we replaced our T5 with a T6 - the one must when we were looking for it was in HAD to DSG.

The reasons I believe the DSG is the better option in a Cali is.
  • When driving you can concentrate on maneuvering without worrying about what gear you are in.
  • on Motorways and long trips a relaxed drive.
  • in traffic relaxed
  • relaxed on country roads you
As a higher millage user I have had no personal issues with reliability yes you have to factor in a 40k £200ish oil change. I am sure if we had bought a manual we would be happy as we would have not known a DSG, but now I owned one it is a must for me.

Manual or automatic the Cali is a great camper.

Whatever your choice Manual Gearboxes are on the way out. One of the greatest effects on Vehicle Emissions is the " Driver " , wrong gear/wrong revs etc: etc:. Replace the Drivers interaction with the Gearbox by a computer and you can make a significant difference to Emissions.
Autonomous vehicles will not have Manual Gearboxes.

Whatever your choice Manual Gearboxes are on the way out. One of the greatest effects on Vehicle Emissions is the " Driver " , wrong gear/wrong revs etc: etc:. Replace the Drivers interaction with the Gearbox by a computer and you can make a significant difference to Emissions.
Autonomous vehicles will not have Manual Gearboxes.

Both still rely on the drivers right foot. The heavier the foot, the heavier the emissions!

If you look at my mpg, I am spot on, or slightly under the factory mpg. So yes, the driver (me) gets lower emissions. Ain't that good?
Also when driving uphill (steep) I can choose to stay in 1 gear to make smoother driving instead of the DSG thinking it has to shift up and down constantly. Yes, you can put your DSG in "manual" but what are you doing then?

Oh, they already have "autonomous" vehicles. They are called busses, and trains, and trams.
You don't want autonomous driving in very bad weather where the systems can't "see" the lines, roads, oncoming traffic, unwanted obstacles...

Too much a computer still can't do.

What if the computer decides it will restart on a busy junction? Good luck!

Back