Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux heater

S

Stevebeve

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi there all, lots of comments regarding diesel heaters and parking heaters (I guess that is for much newer models) I am looking at purchasing an 06 se tdi 174 2.5 auto and just wanted to know how the aux heater works? Is it electric or diesel? Guessing it’s not gas but don’t really have a clue so looking to be educated by those more experienced!!

.....and it takes fuel from your main fuel tank. Try to keep the fuel level above a quarter or it will cut out.
It takes its power from your leisure batteries not engine battery. Great invention

Cheers for the immediate replies!! Great to be able to pick your brains!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2006 Cali came with a remote fob , I use this if I’m sleeping in the roof, if it get a bit cold I just turn on the heater via the remote, saves reaching down to the control panel , then when I’m tostie I can switch it off,
Worth checking with the seller if they have it.

The air and coolant heaters work very similar except one has a water jacket around it and the other just a heat exchanger. They use 12v to run a motor and fuel dosing pump ( this makes a tapping noise). As stated the fuel comes from your usual fuel tank. This is then ignited by a glow plug Inside the heater. Once a flame is detected the glow plug switches off and the burn continues drawing in cool air and heating it up inside. The hot air is then blown out into the van and will continue running like this until fuel runs out or voltage in your batteries falls too low. They burn very little fuel for a huge heat output. The switching off of the glow plug shows on your control panel as the current draw falls. On shut down the heater runs on a while to completely extinguish the flame using fresh air when the fuel is shut off. You will hear this as the motor running on fora couple of minutes. One tip is to often run up your heater when not in use as they don't like not being run hot to prevent carbon build up. The exhaust from the combustion chamber exits under the van. Phew.

The air and coolant heaters work very similar except one has a water jacket around it and the other just a heat exchanger. They use 12v to run a motor and fuel dosing pump ( this makes a tapping noise). As stated the fuel comes from your usual fuel tank. This is then ignited by a glow plug Inside the heater. Once a flame is detected the glow plug switches off and the burn continues drawing in cool air and heating it up inside. The hot air is then blown out into the van and will continue running like this until fuel runs out or voltage in your batteries falls too low. They burn very little fuel for a huge heat output. The switching off of the glow plug shows on your control panel as the current draw falls. On shut down the heater runs on a while to completely extinguish the flame using fresh air when the fuel is shut off. You will hear this as the motor running on fora couple of minutes. One tip is to often run up your heater when not in use as they don't like not being run hot to prevent carbon build up. The exhaust from the combustion chamber exits under the van. Phew.
Just a note to add to your excellent description, the coolant heater uses much more battery than the parking (air) heater, which is why it’s limited to 30 minutes. It’s useful for preheating the motor and interior in the morning, but not for heating during the night. I have both on my van.

Just a note to add to your excellent description, the coolant heater uses much more battery than the parking (air) heater, which is why it’s limited to 30 minutes. It’s useful for preheating the motor and interior in the morning, but not for heating during the night. I have both on my van.
I think it only runs for 30 minutes because the coolant heater runs of the van battery rather than the leisure

I think it only runs for 30 minutes because the coolant heater runs of the van battery rather than the leisure
Also designed to only help a faster engine warm up process, not a continual source of cab air heating.

Also designed to only help a faster engine warm up process, not a continual source of cab air heating.
There are three separate and distinct heater configurations:
1) The standard coolant heater present in all VW T5/T/6 vans, that automatically runs at low temperature to lower emissions by helping the engine reaching operating temperature quickly. Runs off engine battery (Transporters have no leisure battery). The driver has no control over it.
2) The optional upgrade to the coolant heater, which makes it programable, for preheating the engine and interior. Runs off leisure battery (I’ve watched it on my leisure battery voltage meter). Heavy battery usage, which is why it’s limited to 30 minutes. Runs coolant pump and uses dash fans and outlets.
3) The parking (air) heater, which is programable and can run off the leisure battery continuously, with low battery usage. The hot air outlet is on the lower B pillar next to the sliding door. If you don’t have that outlet, you don’t have an original VW parking heater, although it’s possible that you have an after market parking heater installed by a previous owner.

Last edited:
The coolant heater and the parking heater are two different machines mounted in different positions under the van: coolant heater on the left side, parking heater on the right. They are not visible because they are covered by protective plates, but you can hear them when they’re running. You should be able to tell what you have by the Webasto/Eberspracher silver tags next to the front door latch. If I remember correctly, Webasto is the coolant heater and Eberspracher is the parking heater.

As a bit of trivia info - currently an option on a Transporter Van is to add the 2 heaters plus a battery for a mere £2,754.

The engine coolant heater only comes on at ambient temp 5 degrees. You can get a tele start kit for it which adds a remote to switch on & off. As others have said it runs off van main battery.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The engine coolant heater only comes on at ambient temp 5 degrees. You can get a tele start kit for it which adds a remote to switch on & off. As others have said it runs off van main battery.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Unless you have ordered the programable upgrade, in which case you can program a starting time from the control panel, and it is wired to run off the leisure battery.

Yes possibly it also maybe has to run a small coolant or water pump without the engine running?

Having only purchased our Ocean in May this year, we haven’t had to use any heating. Therefore the timing of this thread is perfect for us with the weather changing.
Many thanks to all those who have contributed.

Having only purchased our Ocean in May this year, we haven’t had to use any heating. Therefore the timing of this thread is perfect for us with the weather changing.
Many thanks to all those who have contributed.
It is advised by the heater manufacturer to run the Diesel Parking Heater upto Temperature, for about 30 mins, every month throughout the year.

It is advised by the heater manufacturer to run the Diesel Parking Heater upto Temperature, for about 30 mins, every month throughout the year.
This is to burn off the carbon in the combustion chamber, Run it on maximum

image.jpg
Just trying out my diddy kampa heater....have hookup...am cosy!
I normally use my diesel heater...this is a new idea for me....

View attachment 50660
Just trying out my diddy kampa heater....have hookup...am cosy!
I normally use my diesel heater...this is a new idea for me....
Looks a handy small heater especially when on hook up ...& paying for the electricity anyway
We stay in N.E. Scotland so we use our heater quite frequently, but The parking heater uses very minimal fuel anyway

There are three separate and distinct heater configurations:
1) The standard coolant heater present in all VW T5/T/6 vans, that automatically runs at low temperature to lower emissions by helping the engine reaching operating temperature quickly. Runs off engine battery (Transporters have no leisure battery). The driver has no control over it.

Do they really all have one ? We have an '08 T5 174 bought new and this is the first I've heard about it having a coolant heater.....?

The early ones may have had it as an Option for cold weather climates but it is now standard as part of the Emissions Control system. Check the Drivers Door for Heater Labels.

The early ones may have had it as an Option for cold weather climates but it is now standard as part of the Emissions Control system. Check the Drivers Door for Heater Labels.
Thanks Welsh Gas. Just checked and no labels there - albeit we do have the parking heater.....

Labels could be on the left door, passenger side in UK.
Well I never - literally! If you could see my face, it's distinctly red.
I was looking at the door pillar next to the tyre pressures label, not the door itself. There they are and apparently we do have both heaters.
Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Labels could be on the left door, passenger side in UK.

Back