Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Avoiding roof corrosion?

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

One of things I have been wondering about for a little while now is if there is any well known ways of trying to avoid the roof corrosion issue on a brand new T6?

We'll be lucky that we can store our Cali in our garage and it will be used as a holiday/fun vehicle, not every day but still, are there any precautionary / pre-emptive measures we can take?

Thanks

No ....affraid not .

Dehumidifier in the garage?!

No , ....affraid not .

I take very good care of my Cali , pull of the roofseal and clean/dry afther ever wash (that is afther every trip) , always stationt in a garage when not in use , not a daily drive.....a 2012 SE that is
No use , unless you try and separate the metal from the alu on your roof it will corrode.
But you don't have to worry , you orderd a 6-er and VW has solved the proplem so they say.....not .

Hi Everyone

One of things I have been wondering about for a little while now is if there is any well known ways of trying to avoid the roof corrosion issue on a brand new T6?

We'll be lucky that we can store our Cali in our garage and it will be used as a holiday/fun vehicle, not every day but still, are there any precautionary / pre-emptive measures we can take?

Thanks

Is your one pre or post Dec 2016, if post you should have the tape between the seal and the roof. If you do not have the protective tape it is worth fitting some before any corrosion starts, worth a try in my opinion. You should be able to see it just above the seal..

Now see it is new, should have the tape.

I've often wondered if having the roof wrapped in clear might stop corrosion?

The area under the seal is the problem and that is where VW have added the tape, which is clear.

Yes but what I meant was.

My bus is a 2010 and only has a very little light bubbling just above the seal in places. If I got the bubbling repaired then had my roof wrapped in clear, would it resolve any future issues. My bus i to old to claim on the VW warranty.

Yes but what I meant was.

My bus is a 2010 and only has a very little light bubbling just above the seal in places. If I got the bubbling repaired then had my roof wrapped in clear, would it resolve any future issues. My bus i to old to claim on the VW warranty.

Is the bubbling only above the seal, usually starts under, you need to pull a section the seal off to check.

You could have the repair done, add the edge tape and fit a new seal but you would need to ensure the body shop did not bond the seal during the repair. Bonding is now part VW warranty repair procedure. If you spec the work you may get the body shop to fit the tape.

I am not aware of any T6's with the tape suffering the corrosion?

Why do you say ensure they don't bond it if that's what vw are doing? Typo?

I would suspect that VW don't want any further inspection of that area.

Its not like VW haven't manipulated a situation before for their own gain. I seem to remember a recent corporate emissions scandal.

Last edited:
Is your one pre or post Dec 2016, if post you should have the tape between the seal and the roof. If you do not have the protective tape it is worth fitting some before any corrosion starts, worth a try in my opinion. You should be able to see it just above the seal..

Now see it is new, should have the tape.

I am not aware of any T6's with the tape suffering the corrosion?
Me neither.....

I would suspect that VW don't want any further inspection of that area.
Ah I see!
Or perhaps it's better at preventing further moisture Ingress hence better protection?

Ah I see!
Or perhaps it's better at preventing further moisture Ingress hence better protection?
I’ve just had mine back for the second time after repairs for bubbling under the seal and the seal was definitely NOT bonded. Admittedly mine is a T5 but I would have thought that the repair procedure would have been the same as for a T6.

Ah I see!

My understanding was that the tape went on to avoid the metal gripper of the rubber wearing through the paint (ie still quite soft paint when only a few days old when new and roof assembled on to it) and then causing rust??

Maybe i’m wrong?

My understanding was that the tape went on to avoid the metal gripper of the rubber wearing through the paint (ie still quite soft paint when only a few days old when new and roof assembled on to it) and then causing rust??

Maybe i’m wrong?
Makes sense I’m a painter and what you say is correct.
mine a t6 has a strip of clear plastic tape between the seal and roof to prevent the problem with dissimilar metals contacting.... BUT how long it will last is anyone’s guess landrover Defenders had the same problem around the cappings

mine a t6 has a strip of clear plastic tape between the seal and roof to prevent the problem with dissimilar metals contacting.... BUT how long it will last is anyone’s guess landrover Defenders had the same problem around the cappings
And they never managed to stop that after some 70 odd years. Instead they just stopped production.:thumb

And they never managed to stop that after some 70 odd years. Instead they just stopped production.:thumb
Yep seems that vehicle builders don’t do there homework....
Or learn from others mistakes ??????
As we just said landrover has had this problem for many many MANY years.the rear tub supports disintegrate after as little as 3 years.and I mean totally disintegrate around the connection points and around the cappings corrosion is a definite problem .the problem is totally ongoing with vw now hmmmmmm !!!!!

The bonding prevents any future inspection, VW do not bond on the T6, bonding may indeed be effective in preventing the ponding water in the seal and prevent the corrosion cell being formed but the inability to inspect is not ideal. I had pushed for VW to include the tape in the repair procedure but was not successful.

I had the same 'different type of metals' issue on my old Lotus Elise. So many parts on that are aluminium to steel. I found out they used this stuff at the factory, but then when ever it wasn't used after (ie third party garages / home mechanics) the bolts and chassis (or more commonly brake callipers / hubs / bolts) used to fuse togethers solid!! https://www.marinesuppliesdirect.co...yVM9avQ3PJ4oGsawjchepAwMNLj2yG9hoCYnEQAvD_BwE

The bonding prevents any future inspection, VW do not bond on the T6, bonding .
I think I finally understand.
At build vw don't bond but in the warranty repair bonding is part of the process?

We've just collected our spanking new Ocean and its everything we expected. Has anyone ever suggested just raising the roof a bit (an inch or so?) so that the aluminium of the roof and steel of the body aren't 'together' - we're lucky to have the van parked under a carport and don't use it as a daily driver. Its obviously not practical for everyone, but if the van is parked up for a lot of the time, it may help atleast slow down the corrosion? Any thoughts?

Back