Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning - DIY sides

CoboCali

CoboCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have had the T6 Ocean for 6 weeks now, and the interest in the never-ending optional extras isn't dimming yet! After a camp in the strong sun last weekend, we really fancied the extra shade the comfortz camping room might offer, but we are not yet convinced we need the whole room or that we can justify the cost right now. Hence the DIY option was explored this week to produce a 'front' for the awning which will offer shade, or some minor weather protection while cooking outside.
We purchased some PVC heavy duty mesh fabric 220GSM polyester, 14mm brass eyelets, nylon thread and 3m of Kador strip... and produced this.... see pics. Cost was less than £50 and we are pretty happy with the solution. FullSizeRender[1].jpg FullSizeRender[2].jpg IMG_2787.JPG Next stop: some LED lights and maybe a awning rafter which I am investigating next.

This looks great, well done and thanks for sharing!

Did you put a tape along the edges with the brass eyelets?

This looks great, well done and thanks for sharing!
Did you put a tape along the edges with the brass eyelets?
Thank you. We didn't tape all along the edge - just applied some indirect heat from an iron to ensure a strong folded edge then sewed the seams. Under each eyelet, we added a 2" square of strong duct tape both sides to help make the the punch-out was a clean hole, and the the eyelet had something to grip to... seems to work well enough.

Looks good. Still waiting on my Cali and although I've picked up a fair bit of stuff it is almost entirely techie type stuff and camping essentials. Also been following the threads on rafters with the lights but will definitely be something on the "if required list" once we've had a few trips.

Mike