Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning essential?

There are sun canopies on the market which are much cheaper and with no weight or drag to take with you on a daily basis. an example below of a basic one >

https://camperessentials.co.uk/shop/khyam-sun-canopy/

Personally like this one below, also there is a version with an enclosed front. Note not a drive away.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNNCAMP...-T4-T5-T6-CAMPERVAN-2019-VERSION/153339779260

I have a factory fitted one but not sure if I'd have one again instead of the above option with side privacy/wind screens.

Last edited:
Most importantly it makes a vehicle look not so "camperish" more like a Multivan. Nice in some cases for stealth camping.
Hadn't thought of it before but you make a good point re stealth camping

Both our vans were dealer speced and came with a wind out awning fitted I would personally not add to a build if we were configuring Iam with @Sp0_0k re the look of the van with it.

Looking at a used California Beach, it has good spec but no awning. Would you miss the awning on yours? not sure how much use it would get, can they be retro-fitted? of so how much?
Yes, I would miss it greatly!

In 6 months we've yet to even open ours! I wonder whether it'll even still work :talktothehand

Last edited:
Looking at a used California Beach, it has good spec but no awning. Would you miss the awning on yours? not sure how much use it would get, can they be retro-fitted? of so how much?
I find I'm using it a lot now half extended (with the arms down) to allow covered access to our 'drive-away' Khyam awning. Far less faff without the kador and makes it much easier to just take off and explore on impulse. No fiddling about coming back either.

As usual opinion split as you would expect, some love it some don’t

I don't have one, don't want one.
Fixing one afterwards is no problem.

I have a simple tarp if I need some shadow or protection for the rain (seldom needed). It weighs a lot less, is cheaper, foolproof and doesn't make my Cali look like a camper from less than 100 meters.

Last edited:
Essential if you go anywhere hot. Provides shade for us
and keeps some sun off the van too. Also very handy for hanging washing to dry...
We’ve had California from new in 2009, and would not be without the awning. We did try a drive-away tent but it’s far too much work for touring..

yep, essential...

Our T5 Cali didn't come with one. For a few years we faffed around with a canopy or driveaway awning, which was more trouble than it was worth. Two years ago we had a Thule awning retrofitted which was about £400 at SMG Cowfold.
It's so much better! We use it mainly to just demarcate a bit more of 'our' space in the campsite, also great if it's raining. It's really quick & easy to put up, which is good as we are usually touring & don't stay anywhere more than one or two nights.

Ours came with our beach but tbh I wouldn't be bothered if it wasnt there. We do however have a drive away awning which we use if we are staying in the same place for more than one night.

Essential for me, even one night stops but obviously not the same for everyone!
Tom

Couldn't be without, we have one either side, the one on the left we have an ARB Mess tent underneath so you can use when its 40 degrees to sleep in or to be outside when there are lots of Midgies., Just for anyones information, I used 2 front VW brackets to fit to the left side as the VW rear bracket is only designed for the right side rear.

Back