Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning

H

Harrythecat

VIP Member
Just got a brand new Cali and set off abroad. When we fully extended the awning we noticed that it is in effect two pieces of plasticised material joined together. Looks like it's heat sealed. Sadly where the join is there is a a gap roughly nine inches in length where it isn't sealed together properly. It's already started to ride up slightly where we've used the awning and over time it will undoubtedly distend and/or rip.

I've booked it back in at Leicester van centre for inspection. Anybody had similar problems? Anyone know if the warranty covers the awning or are we talking 'not fit for purpose'?

I haven't had that problem ,but mine is 2 parts sealed together as well and so was the one in the showroom when I was looking ,so I can only assume that the material only comes in certain lengths and have to join to get different widths.
It should be a good solid seal though

I have exactly the same issue though mine is a 2.5 inch strip at one edge that didn't get welded.

Plan to visit SMG with it when I can schedule in such a trip.

Simon

Awning inspected at Leicester and a new one on order. Scheduled to be fitted next week :thumb

Leicester Volkswagen Van Centre have been very helpful throughout the buying process and James, the salesman, booked me in no problem. Did have a 'jobs worth' moment at the Service desk when the guy there wanted to keep the van for the best part of the day and ring me saying they had certain procedures to go through. :headwall

When I dug my heels in common sense prevailed and within a few minutes a service guy arrived. We reeled out the awning, looked at the unsealed bit, and reeled it back in again. Two minutes, job done :grin:

Awning inspected at Leicester and a new one on order. Scheduled to be fitted next week :thumb

Leicester Volkswagen Van Centre have been very helpful throughout the buying process and James, the salesman, booked me in no problem. Did have a 'jobs worth' moment at the Service desk when the guy there wanted to keep the van for the best part of the day and ring me saying they had certain procedures to go through. :headwall

When I dug my heels in common sense prevailed and within a few minutes a service guy arrived. We reeled out the awning, looked at the unsealed bit, and reeled it back in again. Two minutes, job don

With a brand new Cali they should replace it quickly & bend over backwards to do so.
Does not say much for VW quality control on the Cali production line.

That would appear to be where it's gone wrong. I did wonder whether it should be on the tick list for the PDI process at point of sale, but then I thought, like you did, that quality control in the factory should pick up problems of that nature.

Back