Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

B Pillar Decals

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've just tried fitting a set of B post decals. It wasn't difficult although I only did the drivers side. However I was very dissapointed with the surface finish on my shiny black ones. They had a sort of textured finnish which looked awful close up. So long story short, the side I did got removed and binned. I don't know if it was something that I had or hadn't done but I was expecting a glassy black shiny surface. I not sure if I will bother with black B posts now. If I do I think I'll get a professional wrapping company to do it.

BTW I don't wish to imply that the the product is no good. I'm sure it's fine. It's probably just a case of pilot error.
It’s always disappointing when you put the time & effort in to do something & aren’t happy with the final result. We are having B post decals & other bits fitted by VanStyle. We booked a few weeks ago but because they are so busy/popular the earliest date available for fitting is January 10th. Having them done professionally we are expecting them to be boss.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi Borris, is there a chance you were sent the matt ones in error, or are they shiny but textured? I have the matt ones and thinking to swap to shiny (to rectify my shoddy handiwork with the first ones and also as I think in retrospect the shiny ones look better to my eyes)
Hello Sailski,
I'm afraid not, they are gloss black and as far as I'm aware they shouldn't be textured. The paint surface underneath is brand new and silky smooth. There was no dirt or debris present. The weather was sunny but cool. They went on perfectly with no air bubbles and I also managed to position them correctly.

If I has to offer a potential reason for the texture it would have to be the process of removing the protective surface film. However I don't see why that should do that.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
It’s always disappointing when you put the time & effort in to do something & aren’t happy with the final result. We are having B post decals & other bits fitted by VanStyle. We booked a few weeks ago but because they are so busy/popular the earliest date available for fitting is January 10th. Having them done professionally we are expecting them to be boss.
I hope it goes well. I'm sure it will look great. Perhaps you could post some pics when done?

As for me, "once bitten twice shy"! I'm not sure that I will bother to have it done now. Still, we shall see.

Jay20cali

Jay20cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I was expecting a finish that equalled that of the paint beneath. If that isn't possible then I think I'll give it a miss.
I think even the factory ones are not like factory paint finish borris ...
There a gloss but not like shiny gloss black paint .you can still tell there a decal but there nice and give the van a more expensive look

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I was expecting a finish that equalled that of the paint beneath. If that isn't possible then I think I'll give it a miss.
I know what you are sayng but as Vinyl and Paint are different beasts so when you say equal???? How do you compare? I think there will be a difference even if you deem the quality to be on the the same level.
I can't work out if you feel its the quality thats a problem. I guess you might get smoother more shiny alternatives from somewhere more akin to paint but still unlikely to match lacquered paint.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I think even the factory ones are not like factory paint finish borris ...
There a gloss but not like shiny gloss black paint .you can still tell there a decal but there nice and give the van a more expensive look
I like the look of them it was the texture that I didn't like. I'm sure they shouldn't look like that.

‘Brian’s Dad’

‘Brian’s Dad’

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Does anyone know a good wrapping company in Bristol? I'm looking to get mine done.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I know what you are sayng but as Vinyl and Paint are different beasts so when you say equal???? How do you compare? I think there will be a difference even if you deem the quality to be on the the same level.
I can't work out if you feel its the quality thats a problem. I guess you might get smoother more shiny alternatives from somewhere more akin to paint but still unlikely to match lacquered paint.
I like the look of the black B posts and I'd have been happy if they were smooth and shiny. Alas they weren't.
I know vinyl is a different to paint but people have their cars wrapped and they wouldn't if they had a finish like I had. I can only think it was something that I did or didn't do. Perhaps it was temperature related and the adhesive that holds the protective film was the issue. I used a hair dryer on it to see if that would improve it but it made no difference.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I like the look of the black B posts and I'd have been happy if they were smooth and shiny. Alas they weren't.
I know vinyl is a different to paint but people have their cars wrapped and they wouldn't if they had a finish like I had. I can only think it was something that I did or didn't do. Perhaps it was temperature related and the adhesive that holds the protective film was the issue. I used a hair dryer on it to see if that would improve it but it made no difference.
My decals have a slightly mottled look. Is that what you have? I like it.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My decals have a slightly mottled look. Is that what you have? I like it.
It was mottled, uneven and looked very substandard. I certainly don't think I am being too picky and doubt if the majority of owners would have found it acceptable either.

Are yours matt or shiny?

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
It was mottled, uneven and looked very substandard. I certainly don't think I am being too picky and doubt if the majority of owners would have found it acceptable either.

Are yours matt or shiny?
Shiny, but definitely a mottled look from close up. But I wouldn't describe them as either uneven or substandard.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Shiny, but definitely a mottled look from close up. But I wouldn't describe them as either uneven or substandard.
I'm sure yours are fine Tom. I'm equally sure that you would have agreed with me had you seen the finish on mine. I now wish I taken a photo before I removed them.

Jay20cali

Jay20cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
If you bought them from the forum shop ask them to send you pictures of how they should look ?
You may of had a rubbish set ?

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
If you bought them from the forum shop ask them to send you pictures of how they should look ?
You may of had a rubbish set ?
Thanks Jay17cali,
I should also add that my late brother was a sign writer who used vinyl alot in his work. Having seen vehicles that he had worked on I have seen what an acceptable finish should be. I have also looked at Calis with these B posts decals and they were all fine hence my deciding to order them.

I may get in touch with the shop once I have ruled out an error on my part. However, as far as I am can see, I fitted them in the correct manner. The fit was good and there were no bubbles, just a poor finish.

Nolan

Nolan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I failed to fit a set of these successfully this summer, mainly due to my own carelessness and not leaving enough time for the job.

People above who have fitted successfully, did you use a soapy solution or fit them dry? Might have another go when the weather is warmer next year.

I did manage to successfully fit a clear protector to my rear bumper using soap solution and I'm happy with the results of that.

blondebier

blondebier

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
People above who have fitted successfully, did you use a soapy solution or fit them dry? Might have another go when the weather is warmer next year.
As I posted above these were applied dry. It's a simple process if you take your time and don't rush it.

Borris - it sounds like you might have had a dodgy set.

I went for the matt look as one of our other cars has shiny B pillars and they have not lasted very well. They've acquired swirls marks from washing and the car is only just over a year old. These were factory fitment.

So far I'm pleased with the set I've got on the bus. There's no abrasive marks and they look as good as when I first fitted them.